Boy Baby Shower Cake 9/23/06

Decorating By camouflagegirl Updated 21 Sep 2006 , 3:04pm by MrsAB

camouflagegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camouflagegirl Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 2:31am
post #1 of 21

I have a boy shower cake for this coming Saturday. The customer would like to have a cake of a pregnant belly like the one in the picture, except instead of a pink shirt, she would like it to match the green color of her invitations (MOD pregnant belly from Target). I looked at the instructions on this person's picture, and she noted that she used a soccer ball pan. I do not have that type of pan.

Do you have any tips, hints, advice for me on what type of pans to use AND on ANYTHING else relating to this cake? It will be my first PAID cake, and I want it to be as excellent as possible.

Thanks.
LL

20 replies
Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 2:49am
post #2 of 21

You could use a mixing bowl, and bake the cke in there...

camouflagegirl Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:07am
post #3 of 21

What kind of mixing bowl wouldn't melt in the oven?

ellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellers Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:12am
post #4 of 21

You can bake in the Kitchenaid mixing bowl. when i bake in them, i usually lower the temp around 25 degrees and it works just perfect.

QueLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueLinda Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:14am
post #5 of 21

I've used a pyrex bowl for the baseball hat cake in my photos, it baked just like it would have in a pan.

camouflagegirl Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:34am
post #6 of 21

bump

I need more advice

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:39am
post #7 of 21

I always use a pyrex bowl for baking as well.

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:36am
post #8 of 21

You cpuld use the pyress or I have a set of the metal mixing bowls, I have used them as well

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:22am
post #9 of 21

I agree w/ using the glass pyrex bowl. Grease and flour like you would any other cake pan. Happy baking! Love the "labor day" cake!

camouflagegirl Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 1:14am
post #10 of 21

How many servings does this cake look like it has? I'm worried there will not be enough servings (20). I was thinking of making a 2 layer 6 inch cake to go along with it, in the invitation pattern. What do you guys think?

Also, I have a cheaper KA (the $30 Wal-Mart brand), do you think that mixing bowl is oven safe?

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:16am
post #11 of 21

You can also use 1/2 the 3D ball ban for this.

Tkeys Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:21am
post #12 of 21

Sorry - more infor - this is a combo of mini wonder mold pans, i think, and the 3D ball pan. I've also seen this done and mounted on top of a sheet cake, to give more servings.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:34am
post #13 of 21

I love this picture....I wish it were in my fav photos to save since it would be a cute one to make once my daughter has a baby.( not in the works yet)...

camouflagegirl Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 2:36pm
post #14 of 21

BUMP

How many servings does this cake look like it has? I'm worried there will not be enough servings (20). I was thinking of making a 2 layer 6 inch cake to go along with it, in the invitation pattern. What do you guys think?

Also, I have a cheaper KA (the $30 Wal-Mart brand), do you think that mixing bowl is oven safe?

Tkeys Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 2:42pm
post #15 of 21

the KA is probably safe to use, but it is not perfectly round on the bottom. I'd either use a mixing bowl, or the 3D ball pan, which is perfectly round. for the top part, i think you are better off with the mini wonder molds, or smaller mixing bowls. I'm not sure how many it feeds, but this version looks pretty large. Look through the gallery under shower cakes, and you will see a number of different versions of this cake with some explanations of how they did it. Most of them are mounted on cakes, and that makes it easier to estimate how many it will serve.

camouflagegirl Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 6:23pm
post #16 of 21

The customer told me that I could play around with the cake a little bit from the picture. She is having a boy, and wants the shirt green, and wants something different than roses on the top of the shirt. Any suggestions?

bunit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunit Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 7:03pm
post #17 of 21

one thing you can do is stack and carve the appropriat sized round cake for the belly. I guess a 10-12" belly and 6"boobs? since the whole cake is practically covered with a drape of fondant, the only real smooth carving would be the exposed belly- Don't forget to "pop out" the belly button!! If the cake is to be smaller, you could use an 8"belly with cupcake (no pun intended here,) boobs... Just a thought- good luck! let us know what happens! _B.

camouflagegirl Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 9:31pm
post #18 of 21

How do I poke the belly button out?

bunit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunit Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 12:41pm
post #19 of 21

To poke out a belly button,you can either take a small piece of candy like a peanut m&m, and press it into your cake, and frost over it. Anything edible that will make the shape of a belly button would work! Just thought it would be a cute idea. (You CAN, however, leave off the stretchmarks!) icon_redface.gif Good luck with the cake- It's a really cute design! Happy baking! -B.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 2:20pm
post #20 of 21

Heres one I did..
I used cupcakes for the boobs.. and I also used the ball pan.. (half of one).. I think maybe you can bake 2 8"round fill and carve.. Just remember when you carve the cake.. Stick it in the freezer for awhile, so that it will be nice and hard when you carve it. Good Luck
LL

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 3:04pm
post #21 of 21

Camouflagegirl,

What about using styrofoam for the belly and the breasts? You could still have the belly showing as long as you ice it or cover it with fondant. Just an idea since you don't have the small pans. Then place the "belly cake" on a sheet cake for more servings.

Is the picture you posted from a CC'r? Nice cake. Would like to add to my favorites. If not from a CC'r where?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%