Traveling Stacked.....

Baking By nicksmom Updated 24 Jul 2007 , 3:16pm by tbittner

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 3:43am
post #1 of 10

I have a stacked wedding in sept. 14",12",10"8".Now normally I stack when I get to the reception(unless it's a small stack)BUT how hard do you think it would be to travel with this cake already stacked and decorated? icon_confused.gif My main concern is the placement of my shells on this cake.I know how the bride wants them,but I'd rather not play with it at the sight in case it doesn't come out right.I would rather throw fits at home icon_lol.gif And before anyone mentions it........yes I have tried the sharpening of a dowel rod and hammering it through all cakes and boards AND my cake split icon_mad.gif so apparently I missed something!!!TIA

9 replies
nicksmom Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 4:42am
post #2 of 10

BUMP

Crystal13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystal13 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 4:50am
post #3 of 10

I think the best advice I've heard and used, has been to travel with two layers stacked. So, put your 14 &12 together and put your 10 & 8 together. That way all you have to do at the reception site is put those the 10 & 8 already stacked together on top of your 14 & 12 already stacked and only have to worry about doing one border instead of three. Good luck!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 4:51am
post #4 of 10

I deliver all my stacked cakes assembled. I cut a small square in all my boards. This allows for my center dowel to go through. I have learned not to place anything on the cake such as sugar bubbles. they can roll off.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 5:01am
post #5 of 10

Hi Nicksmom,
I had to do exaclty that this past weekend and what a disaster!!!!!!!!!! I think FL's humidity played a huge part in my tragedy, anyway, just wanted to advice you NOT to use a "jelly-like" filling, my cake was a berry preserves and OMG, I wanted to cry, what a mess! I would also do the 14" and 12" stacked and then the 10" and 8" stacked and finish stacking at the reception place. I also wouldn't travel with the cake stacked if you are NOT using fondant to cover them, BC might slide off as well.
I really don't mean to scare you BUT really, be carefull and be wise. HTH and good luck!
Oh yeah, one more thing, A/C FULL BLAST!!

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 5:05am
post #6 of 10

I agree as Crystal13 mentioned and also you want to keep in mind the depth of the cake, cause some customers like to have the 3 inch deep instead of the 2 inch deep, which I prefer the 2 inch deep cause it just makes it a little easier and not weighing so much in pounds when transporting it. I made a pound cake 16 X 3 inch and it weigh a ton. I try going light on the filling, but it not so much the filling or borders or decors, it just that pound cake weighs a lot. icon_cry.gif I would rather do sponge cake instead, but got to please the customer if you want to keep them coming to you and also referral others to you. You can always get to the reception a little early to set up and do any finishing tough ups. Hope I was some help to you. Enjoy baking! icon_smile.gif

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 5:13am
post #7 of 10

I guess I am a bit daring in the instance. Most of my tiers are 4" tall and I have delivered all butercream cakes before.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 5:17am
post #8 of 10

My cake was also very tall, over 5" and had 3 layers of filling, mmmm... that might be also the reason as of why.....

nicksmom Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 10

wow those are ALL very good points to consider!!!

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 10

If you use a good internal support system you can do this already assembled. I use the COAST system from Phiel and Holding.
http://cakedecostore.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_sresults.html
I deliver already stacked cakes all the time. My cakes are 4" high per tier and have never had a problem. This system is nice as you can do 4" stacked or use 7-9" pillars with the same plates. I do not use any dowels or extra support, the pillars support the cakes not the cakes supporting the cakes.
I know there are similar systems available as well.
Best of luck to you.
Tracy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%