Candy Melts.... Help!!!

Decorating By OzCookie Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 2:54am by plbennett_8

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:07am
post #1 of 7

I am having a terminology crisis! (I'm Down Under)
Many cupcake and cookie ideas that I'd like to try mention Wilton's Candy Melts or other "coloured candy" products.
I was under the impression that "Candy" in the US is "Chocolate" to us. icon_confused.gif Is this correct? If so, I guess Candy Melts are coloured white chocolate.
How do they make it so shiny?
Can ANYONE help this poor Colonial? icon_cry.gif

6 replies
sarahkate80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahkate80 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:15am
post #2 of 7

I am from the US and I am not 100% sure. It tastes like white chocolate to me! But, candy does not mean chocolate here. It can mean anything that is a sweet treat like taffy, pepermints, gum drops, etc. I don't know if that makes much sense, either.

As long as you use some kind of melting chocolate or "candy" that you could use for something such as dipping strawberries, it shoudl work. The ingredients on my Candy Melts are the following:

sugar, partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, whey posder, milk, dry milk, lecithin, salt, art. color and flavor.

I hope that helps!!!

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:20am
post #3 of 7

THANK you! (Kiss)

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:21am
post #4 of 7

Yes, candy melts actually contain no chocolate. The shininess comes from the oils and in some candy melts (also known as summer coating) they add parafin which leaves a distinct waxy feel to the tongue and teeth. Just more fyi.

-Rezzy

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:34am
post #5 of 7

Don't the dark and light chocolate candy melts contain cocoa?
S.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 3:02am
post #6 of 7

correction: they may contain a very small amount of cocoa or cocoa liqueur if you get a good brand like Merckens.

This is from about.com

"Candy coating" chocolate: Also known as confectionery coating, summer coating, or compound coating. These terms refer to candy products that are flavored like dark, milk or white chocolate and substitute vegetable or palm oils for cocoa butter. These products are cheaper than most chocolates, and do not contain significant amounts of chocolate liquor; thus, they do not have a strong chocolate flavor or an appealing mouthfeel. However, they have excellent melting and molding properties, and thus are often used in candymaking for dipping or enrobing, since they do not require tempering and can withstand high ambient temperatures. Be careful to never mix candy coating with real chocolate, as the fats are not compatible and the resulting candy will be unattractive and discolored.

Meckens is a good brand:
Merckens® COMPOUND COATING Chocolate - A Confectionery coating, also known as Rainbow Wafer, Confectionery Coating or Summer Coating. For use in candy molds by the novice and/or professional candy maker. Compound Coating should not be confused with 'Real' chocolate. Our confectionery compound coating has a rich chocolate velvety flavor, and may contain small amounts of cocoa butter or chocolate liquor, but they primarily contain other vegetable fats and cocoa for easier handling and faster set up. The colored confectionery coatings have a pleasant vanilla flavor and that same velvety melt-in-your mouth feel. Confectionery coating does not contain wax, which could be a health risk for some people. We no longer advise you to add wax to chocolate for dipping or molding chocolates. Use Merckens® instead and stop eating wax! Confectionery coating is not as sensitive to the high humidity and temperatures of summer. Renown for their creamy texture and unique milky flavor. Select pure chocolate liquors, cocoa, cocoa butter and whole milk combine to give it its recognized flavor. Easy to use in wafer form. "Coating Chocolate" can also be used in most recipes that call for "chocolate" not defined as pure, real or coating. I have done so many times.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:54am
post #7 of 7

I picked up some almond bark tonight... Do I need to add shortening to it, or is it good like it is?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%