Anyone Not Like Cakeballs?

Decorating By 1234me Updated 27 Jul 2007 , 7:20pm by cakebaker1957

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:28am
post #1 of 35

I have tried to make them once before and didn't relaly care for them. That was back before I knew anything about cake decorating though. Should I try them again? Anyone care to share pics or great recipe/combos?

34 replies
Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:32am
post #2 of 35

I don't like them myself, however, everyone else seems to love them. I just don't really care for the texture of them.

laneym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneym Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:33am
post #3 of 35

What are cakeballs???? They have the word cake in them...so I am sure I would love them!!! thumbs_up.gif

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:34am
post #4 of 35

Make them again!!!! They are wonderful and I have tried almost every recipe/version out there! thumbs_up.gif I haven't found a bad one yet!

I do like the ones I have made with the flavored creamers mixed in a little better, because there are such a variety of flavors available now...you can make all kinds of combos!

I now have a lady at work hooked on them and she asks for some every week icon_lol.gif ...she is a cake ball addict. Plus it is a wonderful way to use your cake scraps! Go for it!!!!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:40am
post #5 of 35

I tried them for the first time around Thanksgiving, I got so many orders. There was only 1 person that didn't like them out of several of my co-workers. I made several different flavor combos. I am really glad I found the recipe so I don't have to throw away any scraps and bad cakes.

CherryBomb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryBomb Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:47am
post #6 of 35

I don't know if I made them wrong but I thought they were horrible. They were so dense and thick that I nearly chocked!

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:52am
post #7 of 35

I like them made with buttercream.Toba's french vanilla buttercream. I'm going to try to make some tonight with Cinnamon Coffee Frosting
I tried it with the flavored creamers. Yucks. they taste soggy or something(at least to me they do!)

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:23am
post #8 of 35

I hate them...taste like already chewed cake...NASTY!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:27am
post #9 of 35

I tried some with carmel vanilla creamer and the creamer was so strong. Maybe I added too much but they were sickening sweet. My kids loved them and my dad like them, too, but I couldn't eat them icon_razz.gif

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:44am
post #10 of 35

I have somehow managed to get all of the women & some of the men at church addicted to cakeballs. My "famous" flavor is my chocolate which has a cinnamon flavor to it. I coat it with chocolate candy coating. I can tolerate eating one to see if it's really gross. I think they are way too sweet. I don't use cake scraps. I make a cake just to do cakeballs, I only add in a very small amount of creamer, I never use icing. YUCK!!!! I don't like icing anyway. Maybe retry them, you might like them this go round.

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:44am
post #11 of 35

icon_biggrin.gif I just made them for the first time on Sunday--love them and so does the rest of my family! The cake scraps I had were so moist I didn't add any kind of liquid. Just used my Pampered Chef round cookie scoop, made the balls, let them harden in the freezer for a bit, then rolled them in melted chocolate bark. They came out nice and round.
I used chocolate and spice cake scraps--I LOVED the spice cake ones!

Try them again!

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:48am
post #12 of 35

You should definitely try them again! I use the caramel creamer in mine and I love them. My children are not big cake fans and they love the chocolate cake balls. My best friends teenage son cuts my grass in exchange for white cake balls with caramel creamer. I drizzle mine with chocolate rather than dip them.
LL

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:59am
post #13 of 35

Oh yeah almost forgot I use only enough creamer to bind the cake so that I can roll them. If a grab a bit in the palm of my hand and it sticks together its usually enough, I have made them with too much creamer and they came out a little mushy. I don't freeze mine.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:04am
post #14 of 35

My family love cake balls to no end. My DH even told me to ditch cake and only make cakeballs from now on. icon_surprised.gif
When my 7 year old see me pull out the chocolate melting pot, she screeches...."cakeballs!!!" icon_lol.gif

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:05am
post #15 of 35

I WANT to love them but the 2 times I tried they were gross icon_cry.gif I am sure I am doing something wrong but mine were super mushy. I am still confused how to make them. Is it cake, icing & creamer ? icon_confused.gif

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:11am
post #16 of 35

I make sure not to add too much icing, because it does make them too mushy. Just enough to bind is the best. Also, you can make the icing flavored with just a touch of liquor (only for adults), and it does a wonderful number on them.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:11am
post #17 of 35

i think they are GU-ROSS! icon_confused.gif i'd rather eat CAKE!
icon_smile.gif

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:15am
post #18 of 35

I haven't tried them yet. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it. Can someone point me in the right direction for variations? (hint hint....oh Jan icon_smile.gif) LOL

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:25am
post #19 of 35

I too have tried them once, and it wasn't pretty! I had to trash them.

Maybe I didn't do it right? I think they look great and so many love them..I must be missing something. icon_cry.gif

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:21pm
post #20 of 35

I LOVE cake balls. It's like a little piece of cake in one bite! Make sure you add enough icing. It makes it taste great. Oh, and cover it in cho0colate. Just awesome!

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:43pm
post #21 of 35

Sue!...Hang in there! thumbs_up.gif

I almost gave up after the second try! I was sooo disappointed with my first two batches...I just didn't understand what the fuss was all about! I thought I must be doing something wrong. Guess what? I was!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

I was using too much liquid as a binder and it was a soggy mess. My cake was already pretty moist so I used just a smidge of either melted caramel or sweetened condensed milk and then the other ingredients.

I am sooooo glad I tried the third time! YUM-MEE!!!

tcdup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcdup Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:49pm
post #22 of 35

they are ok, everyone I know likes them, my husband and I don't care for them because of the hard candy that they get dipped in. I don't like dipping them in chocolate or white chocolate. I don't like the hardness of the candy coating. Does anyone else have any suggestions for dipping them?

RitzyFritz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RitzyFritz Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:50pm
post #23 of 35

Let me put my 2 cents in. I just made a carrot cake that didn't rise in the middle so, naturally, this went for cake balls. I used some of the Crusting Cream Cheese (recipe on this site) as my binder, and boy howdy - it was SOOOO good. And this was BEFORE I covered them in chocolate. I used a chocolate kiss mold and put a little ball of the mixture in the middle. Oh wow! They were delish! I am not one to like truffles, but these were awesome! This is the third or fourth time I have made them, and we have really like them each time. I, too, say "don't give up"! They are great when they are done correctly.

TCDUP: If you don't get the cake/binder mixture too soggy, I think they are great by themselves, without the chocolate. I just used a small cookie dough scooper, put them on wax paper, and then refrigerated to help firm them up (used BC for the binder), and they were great!

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:58pm
post #24 of 35

I do not like them at all!! I can stand to eat about 1 if it's chocolate cake covered in chocolate, but other than that, no thanks.

However, I made 60 last night and took them to work (cuz they wouldn't quit bugging me to bring in some) and they were gone in no time. I work with 18 other people and some weren't even there today, so that shows how much they all like them. It's a texture thing for me.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:59pm
post #25 of 35

If you don't like the hard shell.. and I don't either thumbsdown.gif .. try using chocolate ganache. Add 1/2 the cream as you normally would and they'll set up a little firmer. I use ganache for chocolate covered strawberries too and it is great! You don't get big chunks of chocolate all over the place and you get rich creamy chocolate in every bite.. mmmm.. now I want to make chocolate covered strawberries.. icon_wink.gif . Candy melts are just GROSS IMHO and I stay away from them like the plague.

I have never made cake balls, but if you don't like the crunch of the chocolate.. try ganache.. thumbs_up.gif

TanuvasaMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TanuvasaMama Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 9:33am
post #26 of 35

I just made my first batch tonight and they were AMAZING!!!!

shifty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shifty Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 10:06am
post #27 of 35

I have only ever tried them once and I really didnt care for them. Too soft and I cant stand the feeling of something already chewed in my mouth blah

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:12pm
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

I hate them...taste like already chewed cake...NASTY!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

if I didnt have boys in my house...and know that you have boys...Id ask how you know this "flavor" icon_lol.gificon_twisted.gif .....iw as sitting here trying to think of a way to describe why I hate these little cake creatures.....and you NAILED it!

Erika513x2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika513x2 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:24pm
post #29 of 35

i made them using the coffee creamer and white choc but it was sooooooo sweet i couldn't eat an entire one , i gues my mistake was the white choc. I'm not really a candy making person so i;'m not that experienced ,

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:27pm
post #30 of 35

I made a them once and thought they were nasty, maybe with icing they'd be okay but I didn't like the taste from the creamer at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%