Need Your Opinion On This - Please!!

Decorating By arosstx Updated 24 Jul 2007 , 2:05pm by kwdonlon

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 27

When posting cake pictures, which do you like better? A black background or a white one?

I have some pictures that I've posted to a photo site, and I blacked out around some cakes to get rid of distracting background stuff. I like it, my husband prefers the white.

What do ya'll think? I'll post an example below...
LL
LL

26 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 27

for that cake i like the white, it looks more natural cause of the shadow.

arosstx Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 27

Ok, so now I'm realizing I should not have posted one with no background distractions. I am editing the pics to show a black and then a white background. I normally photograph w/ the white drape, but am only referring to those times when I am at a wedding reception or someplace where the background cannot be staged and there is clutter or ugliness behind my cake!

I will edit the pics to better show that.
Thanks!

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 27

It looks like for the black one you used photoshop to select the cake and place on a blackback drop is that right? It would look more natural in real life.

I like white better anyway but you need a fabric that doesn't wrinkle. : )

arosstx Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 27

No photoshop, just Paint. Took a while to do, but it's worth it to me to crop out the 'trash' in the background.

Sometimes you can't photograph a cake until it's at it's location and all put together, like a cupcake tower, a wedding cake, etc. I want to present my work in a way that looks clean and nice, without distractions in the background.

Yesterday I posted an anniversary cake that happened to be photographed on a black table and SO many people liked it that it just got me thinking about the whole background issue.

Thanks for your help, and please vote! icon_smile.gif

caprica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caprica Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:28am
post #6 of 27

Personally, I prefer the black background. It just makes the white really stand out.

Jesjacster2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesjacster2 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:37am
post #7 of 27

I like the black

chqtpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chqtpi Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:43am
post #8 of 27

I like the black...I also have a friend who brings a black sheet with her to the location to but behind a cake..so that she gets the table display..but not the windows, other tables, people..etc icon_smile.gif the black makes the cake stand out I think icon_smile.gif
HTH

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:45am
post #9 of 27

have you tried this...
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/photofiltre.html

you can download for free I used it to crop the background out on one of my pictures in my gallery the one with the green background you have to play around with it a while to get the hang of it. Honestly it looks a little sloppy only because you can't do much with paint.

email me your picture if you want me to play with it
[email protected]

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:47am
post #10 of 27

I'd put a black background on a white cake, and a white background on a darker coloured cake.

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 3:13am
post #11 of 27

I like black myself!

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 3:18am
post #12 of 27

I like the black icon_biggrin.gif

monnitas0808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monnitas0808 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 3:20am
post #13 of 27

I love the black!!!!

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 3:22am
post #14 of 27

I like the black.

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 3:23am
post #15 of 27

The black looks nice because it makes the white really stand out. A white background with a white cake is too much white to look at at once. Then the details of the cake are what is defining it. Good luck!

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 3:30am
post #16 of 27

For me the background color really depends on the color of the cake. I like to choose a background color that contrasts the cake color. If colors are too similar the cake will appear washed out and/or blend into the background.
My favorite backgrounds are done in bright daylight and outside (cant usually get that though.....) icon_rolleyes.gificon_smile.gif

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 4:16am
post #17 of 27

I asked my neighbor the same question. She is a photographer and her husband is an illustrator. Both of them said put my cakes on white background, because you don't want to take away from the cake itself, and it looks more natural. I said I thought black made the cake Pop, and they both said no, it just distracted from the cake.

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 8:50am
post #18 of 27

You would think black would be better for the white cake - but somehow I prefer the white background. By the poll its seems to much of a muchness...

lilytexas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilytexas Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:12am
post #19 of 27

I like the black one

odm_post Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
odm_post Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:28am
post #20 of 27

I personally like white. I think white makes a softer background. Black background seems a bit 'harsh'.

But I'd 'play around' with the color of the background, using Paint or Photoshop or whatever software there is, to match/compliment the color of the cakes.

HTH icon_smile.gif

odm_post Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
odm_post Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:32am
post #21 of 27

Just want to add....
You can also do what chqtpi suggested: bring a sheet with you to the location to get rid of distracting background.

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:01am
post #22 of 27

I like the black for this particular cake, but I agree that if the cake is dark it's better to put a white or silver blackground for it. When you are taking the picture at the reception it's best if you do a close up and you can later on edit the picture according to the cake color.

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:11pm
post #23 of 27

Black background for this particular cake

arosstx Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:44pm
post #24 of 27

You guys (and CC) totally rock! I am reading and reading all your thoughts and really appreciate the help!

ShaunaCann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunaCann Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:58pm
post #25 of 27

I like the white background. I don't know if it is because the paint tool used to get the real background out of the picture or that it lightens the picture a little and allows one to just look at the cake.

sweetness11379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness11379 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:01pm
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbakin

I asked my neighbor the same question. She is a photographer and her husband is an illustrator. Both of them said put my cakes on white background, because you don't want to take away from the cake itself, and it looks more natural. I said I thought black made the cake Pop, and they both said no, it just distracted from the cake.

They are probably right but I still like the black bettericon_smile.gif

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:05pm
post #27 of 27

I'm a white background girl. Like someone else said...it looks more natural.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%