My Very Expensive Worst Cake Day(Long)

Decorating By sparklynne Updated 25 Jul 2007 , 3:52am by valora387

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 5:10am
post #1 of 26

I was asked to make a cake for my cousin's BD. He lives in Colorado and was coming to Washington for a short visit. His mother asked me to make a white cake lemon filling decorated with green m&m theme. Nothing could go right with this cake! I sketched out my design first. I planned on making a m&m package with a big green m&m sitting in a chair on top holding a small cake with cousin's name on it. I was going to put little eyes and gloves on regular m&m's and surround her chair. My cake did this wierd thing while baking and came out wierd levels. icon_cry.gif So I had to rebake. I tried to be smart and made my mmf 2 days earlier to prevent any time issues. I have worked with fondant before and never had any problems with it til yesterday! icon_mad.gif It was very humid here and the fondant was like a microwaved tootsie roll in consistency. I would add ps and it wouldnt firm up to save my life! I fridged it and after throwing a minor temper tantrum on my deck attempted the fondant again. Fondant rolled out great. icon_smile.gif I thought great my luck is changing. I had built the chair & ms green m&m the night before and she looked great. Went to get her to bring her to the cake that I had now covered in fondant and find that she is now reclining in the chair I made! icon_confused.gif I tried dowels toothpicks and finally decided there was more wood than cake decoration! So I end up having to disassemble Ms Green put her on the side of my cake and strategically paste real green m&m's around her to cover the cracks! icon_redface.gif As I am washing my hands at the end I discover that the diamond from my wedding band is missing! icon_eek.gif It is a baggette(spelling) and definately missing! I am horrified! don't know how long it has been gone, have no idea if I lost it while kneading my fondant or gumpaste or modeling chocolate icon_cry.gif Decide that since it is for family and they are counting on me I would put a warning out! icon_redface.gif I deliver the cake and the bd boy is ecstatic! Everyone eats all but 3 small pieces. Just as I am getting ready to leave the party the boys father informs me that the cake was far too sweet and he really didn't care for it. icon_cry.gif I hope we only get days like these once in a lifetime lol cause I don't know if I can afford or emmotionally survive the next one! ouch.gif
The pictures of the original cake is in my cake pictures.

25 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 5:21am
post #2 of 26

OMG, you poor, poor thing. Your diamond, ack! And what a rude a$$ your cousin's father is...what kind of person SAYS something like that? It says a lot about him, that's for sure. Your cake is so very cute, you would never know by looking that you had all those problems. Fortunately days this bad don't come along very often, so lean back, have a margarita, and try to shake it off. *HUG*

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 6:19am
post #3 of 26

So you never found your diamond? icon_eek.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 11:30am
post #4 of 26

I think your cake is lovely...and a cake being to sweet? Maybe he should of stuck a candle in a banana and called it a day. I can't stand when somebody is so rude!!! (((((hugs))))))

Brandonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandonsmommy Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 26

That was so cute..........and that was soo rude of a comment from the father. Take a bite, if you don't like...........DON'T EAT IT! Simple as that. Why don't people just keep their mouth shut sometime. If you don't have anything nice to say.......Keep your trap shut!! icon_mad.gif

:::::::sorry need more coffee I guess:::::::::

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 26

HOW RUDE CAN THAT BE??? One of my SIL is the same, she thinks she is a baker and everytime I make a cake for a family get together she always has to put her TWO SENSE in (nobody is asking her opinion) she feels the fondant is yucky, or the buttercream too sweet, or the cake too moist ,etc. I can not stand that. My DIL told her at the last party, if you don't like cake don't eat it but do not criticise her cakes in front of me any more, she is doing everybody a favor by bringing her delicious cakes in instead of buying a rubber cake from a grocery store. I could not believe her, but she said what I was feeling.
Your cakes is absolutely adorable!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

cakemomne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomne Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 26

That was a wonderful cake!! Did you find you ring? I've misplaced mine before for a couple of weeks and it is such a horrible feeling!

ddog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddog Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 26

I cannot believe he said that!!!! How rude!!! Cake is supposed to be sweet. I am so sorry you had a bad day. I hope you find your diamond!!!

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 26

So who ate the diamond???
What a turkey this dad was...geepers! I would have said Well good thing it wasnt for you then. Luckily the Guest of Honor loved it so I suppose your thoughts on it really dont matter. Ok ok I wouldnt have said that but I would have thought it really loud. I think the cake is really cool and am very sorry to hear about your troubles.

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 26

Did you check the last three pieces for your diamond?!! I'm so sorry you had a bad cake day... you know, we all do though! Keep your head up, you made an awesome cake! As long as the birthday boy loved it, mission accomplished! thumbs_up.gif ...and since there were only 3 pieces left, sounds like everyone enjoyed it too!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:55pm
post #11 of 26

What a rude CACA! icon_razz.gif Am I allowed to use that word? icon_redface.gif Seriously, some people! Your cake came out great ( I went to look at it) and I'd be happy if someone made it for me icon_smile.gif Did you ever find the diamond? If not, be sure to keep an eye out at home in your kitchen icon_wink.gif Again, your cake was fantastic; sorry it was so aggravating...

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:56pm
post #12 of 26

The good thing here is the diamond is replaceable icon_wink.gif and if under warranty is covered as their screw up lol... I'd visit the jewelry store where purchased and see how much a new stone would be icon_smile.gif

If there was only 3 pieces left... it was good enough for everyone but him... he doesn't matter anyway icon_wink.gif

I looked at it and think it was great!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:03pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I think your cake is lovely...and a cake being to sweet? Maybe he should of stuck a candle in a banana and called it a day. I can't stand when somebody is so rude!!! (((((hugs))))))

I was thinking more like someone should've taken the banana and stuck it IN HIM - you pick the orifice!

I'm sorry, I'm not in a very good mood right now and after reading that I really got annoyed. You went through all that hard work, not to mention all the problems that came up and then that clod says something like that. I've had people tell me too on ocassion that "it's good but too sweet". My first reaction is to tell them to go eat some granola or something. It's cake. It's suppose to be a little sweet. If you don't normally eat sweet things then you're not used to it and maybe it's you and not the cake.

Anyway, I think your cake is gorgeous and you did an absolutely fabulous job on it. I can't get over the amount of detail you added, but that's one of - the main - reason(s) it looks so great! Hope you find your diamond - I would think that's the worst part.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:11pm
post #14 of 26

Sugar_Plum_Fairy wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

I was thinking more like someone should've taken the banana and stuck it IN HIM - you pick the orifice!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I'm going to wake the kids up w/ all my guffawing! STOP! icon_biggrin.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:21pm
post #15 of 26

You said it had lemon filling, right? That's the part that might have been "too sweet" for the dad. I would appreciate someone telling me that - but I might ask follow up - like was it the lemon that was too sweet or the buttercream or just the entire cake? And maybe ask if they like cake to begin with. I like to get comments though b/c if something IS wrong w/ the cake, I want to know so I can improve next time. However, perhaps he didn't present his opinion/comment in the right manner...

Did you find the diamond?? THAT would make me go nuts! I've had nightmares that the diamonds in my wedding band fell out - I'm sure a dream analizer could have a field day with that one....

I think the cake looks great by the way! Congrats on a job well done!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:22pm
post #16 of 26

Don't worry about the RUDE remark....... worry about that DIAMOND !! Did you find it ?

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:36pm
post #17 of 26

I'm sorry you had such a rough time! And I'm sorry the dad was such a jerk. I sure will be taking my rings off when baking from now on....I hope you find your diamond!

Shelle

KODYSMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KODYSMOM Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:37pm
post #18 of 26

Sorry you had "issues" with the cake and "the father" but your cake is absolutely precious!! I'm sure the birthday boy loved it and that's the important thing. And to be honest.....I happen to like my cakes sweet!! icon_lol.gif
Keep up the good work!! Hope you find your diamond!

wgoat5 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:29pm
post #19 of 26

[quote="Sugar_Plum_Fairy"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

LMAO I was thinking the same thing but was scared to say it!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:54pm
post #20 of 26

The cakes are fantastic. You pulled them out wonderfully, especially considering how roughly they went for you. I always question that "the cake's too sweet" comment. I always wanna say....well duh!!! You have no idea how much sugar is in it! This is how I do my cakes, if they're too sweet for you, go somewhere else. And to think that a family member said this to you! Did you charge for the cake?

I really hope you find your diamond. And if someone ate it, I sure hope it wasn't the rude a$$ dad! He's not worth it!

sparklynne Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:03am
post #21 of 26

You people are fantastic! icon_biggrin.gif You definately have made me feel so much better. Thank you all for the compliments and support! You are a terrific group of people! Now for the all important DIAMOND UPDATE: You will all never believe this! My DH tells me last night after my post, that I need not worry about the diamond and that it is just one small baggette and they can replace it easily enough at the Jewelry store. So I calmed down and just figured it is what it is. No one had reported the diamond showing up in the cake and I had stayed to cut the cake so I kept my eye out. So today I was picking up pieces of lint,strings etc from the kids before I vaccuumed and guess what I found?! icon_eek.gif MY DIAMOND!!!! icon_eek.gif That little diamond wound up in the carpet. Picture taking a 1 tip and making a line about this big _ and that is the size of this thing! LOL it goes in my wedding band. Anyways the diamond is safe and sound with the ring in a ziploc waiting its trip to the jeweler. Thank you so much again to all of you that responded. icon_lol.gif You made me laugh and really helped me with that boost thank you!
Sincerely
Lynnette
aka Sparklynne of
Everything's Sparklynne

wgoat5 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:22am
post #22 of 26

I am so happy you found it Lynnette!! Doing the happy dance!!! That story's finer then a frog hair split 10 ways!!!!!

sparklynne Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:26am
post #23 of 26

lol Thank you Wgoat5! icon_lol.gif I have been doing the happy dance all day even while doing my housework! lol

SeptBabyMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeptBabyMom Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:23am
post #24 of 26

Oh no.... I'm sorry you had so many problems with the cake. I guess no one would ever know the blood, sweat and tears that go into making a cake! All they see is the final product that looks PERFECT!

So did you find your diamond? I'd be devastated to lose mine too. This is a good lesson to remind me to take my ring off when working with fondant especially.

It was very humid here this past weekend too. I used some leftover fondant from a previous cake, just colored it purple. I guess between the humidity and the extra moisture that the food coloring added, the fondant was sitting on the cake and super super super tacky. I couldn't smooth with my hands or the fondant smoother. I just took it off and made a 'fresh' batch, putting it on the cake immediately. It worked out just like it always has, but I noticed as time wore on, the surface of the fondant got a little tacky. Even though I had a fan blowing on it continuously. So maybe that's something that might work better for you in the future, don't make the fondant ahead of time in humid weather? I don't know, just sharing my own recent experience.

You did a good job with that cake. It was a nice design and it looked very tidy and well done.

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:19pm
post #25 of 26

What a crab! I'm so sorry he was so rude to you. I think your cakes look wonderful btw!

So happy to hear you found your diamond! I wish my dh would find his (lost it about 2 weeks ago), but I'm sure he lost his somewhere at work icon_sad.gif

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:52am
post #26 of 26

Your cake looks fantastic! People who think cake is too sweet should stick to potato chips, lol.
I was so glad to read that you found your diamond! That's my worst nightmare, happy to hear your story had a happy ending : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%