First Timer For Cookies

Baking By Totally-Frosted Updated 23 Jul 2007 , 6:33pm by miriel

Totally-Frosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Totally-Frosted Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:52am
post #1 of 14

Hi All,

This is going to be my first time baking cookies that I can decorating and it will also be my first time decorating cookies, so I have a question about the best recipe for the cookie.

I am going to try Toba's icing recipe for the decorating but I need to find a recipe for the cookie that has much flavor. What is a good recipe? Thanks!

Veronica

13 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 5:24am
post #2 of 14

Many CC members swear by the No-Fail sugar cookie. It can sometimes be dry, so a bit more liquid may be needed. this cookie doesn't puff, making the decorating easier.

I also like the Martha Stewart roll cookie recipe.

If you look in the Articles section, there is a lot about baking and decorating sugar cookies.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 6:50am
post #3 of 14

I love Melissa's sugar cookie recipe and it's the only one I use.
I don't know if it's posted here on cc but that's what it was called elsewhere...here it is:
2 sticks land of lakes sweet cream salted butter
1 large egg
1 cup of sugar
vanilla - just a splash
mix until creamy
2 3/4 to 3 cups of plain flour
Bake at 400 degrees for 7-8 minutes. The dough should not be crumbly. I roll this out on parchment paper and cut on it as well then bake cookies on same paper. This keeps you from using too much flour. You don't have to chill this dough before using either. You can use it right out of the mixing bowl. These are kind of more of a shortbread type cookie. : ) They keep their shape very well.

You will love TOba's icing recipe. I use it all the time.

sugarbakerqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbakerqueen Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 7:32am
post #4 of 14

Where do you find TOBA's icing recipe? I looked in recipe search bar and nothing came up?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 7:34am
post #5 of 14

I luv the NFSC. We also decorate the backside, since it's perfectly flat. Helps avoid icing 'rolling off' the rounded edges of the front side. If you do this, you have to think ahead ..... letters and numbers have to be baked on the flip side (upside down).

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 12:05pm
post #7 of 14

Have fun with your first try- you will soon be hooked!! Sounds like the Melissa's recipe is just half of the NFSC- so either way you go, you'll be making some great cookies!!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 14

I was a NFSC die-hard fan until last week when I tried the white chocolate sugar cookie recipe from karenscookies.net. I found it to have so much more flavor. Can't comment on Toba's recipe as I don't use it (found I like working with modeling chocolate and fondant much better).

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:45pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

I was a NFSC die-hard fan until last week when I tried the white chocolate sugar cookie recipe from karenscookies.net. I found it to have so much more flavor. Can't comment on Toba's recipe as I don't use it (found I like working with modeling chocolate and fondant much better).

Does it work as well as NFSC as far as not spreading, etc???

Totally-Frosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Totally-Frosted Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks everyone for your help. I am going to check into all of the recipes and the karenscookies website to see what I would like to try. Thanks again for your help and advice!

Veronica

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:04pm
post #11 of 14

NFSC! It is so easy to work with. If you go to the articles section there is a great article for how to bake and decorate coolkies with lots of great tips - I will try to find the link . . . . . .

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:07pm
post #12 of 14

http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

This is the link . . . I love the tip about rolling out the dough between parchment paper and chilling it before cutting them, that way you don't have to use additional flour for rolling and it won't further dry the dough. I have never had a problem with it drying if you use that technique (and it makes cutting the cookies much easier) Good luck, have fun!

sugarbakerqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbakerqueen Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 4:04pm
post #13 of 14

okieinalaska- Thank you!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 6:33pm
post #14 of 14

I like Penny's recipe. It's very easy to make and hardly spreads at all during baking so you get the same shape/size cookie that was cut. Here's the link to the recipe from CC: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3993-Pennys-cookies.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%