Your Tried And Tested Bc Recipe

Decorating By anku Updated 24 Jul 2007 , 7:11am by LiliS

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 14

Hi Guys,
Well I'm pretty new at all this and have been using the crisco Butter cream recipe( given at Wilton classes) all this while. But after the formula change ...I'm finding working with this recipe more and more difficult.

So, I'm calling all the cake gurus of CC to help me with a tried and tested BC recipe that I could work with. Somethig that is yummy but also easy to make and work with in terms of decoration.

Thanks so much in advance.

13 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 14

Are you looking for any buttercream or only a powdered sugar based one? If it's any I use swiss meringue buttercream on almost all of my cakes now and this is the recipe I use.

The Well Dressed Cake
Swiss Meringue Buttercream

24 oz unsalted butter at room temp
10 egg whites
16 oz granulated sugar
2 â 3 TBSP real vanilla extract

Place the egg whites and the sugar in a clean mixer bowl, and place it over a pot of simmering water, whisking occasionally until it registers 160 degrees.

Put it on the stand mixer and whip it with the whisk on medium high until it is reaches the stiff peak stage.

While the meringue is beating, cut up the butter into tbsp sized pieces.

When meringue is ready, switch to the paddle attachment, turn on low, and slowly add the butter.

Add vanilla.

Turn on medium high and let it rip until you have a lovely silky buttercream. You will hear a slapping sound when itâs ready.

But if I have to use a powdered sugar based one I use this one..

2 cups butter , slightly soft but not mushy
1/2 cup hi-ration shortening
1/4 to 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp vanilla
2 pounds (8 cups) powdered sugar, sifted (measure, then sift)
2 tablespoons meringue powder, optional - add only if you want the buttercream to crust

In your mixer bowl, beat the butter until it's smooth, add the shortening and beat together until smooth and light and fluffy. Add smaller amount of the heavy cream indicated in the recipe and the vanilla and mix well.

Add half the powdered sugar and mix for 5 minutes on low-med. speed. Add remaining sugar and mix on low speed. Add more cream or powdered sugar if necessary to adjust the consistency.

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 14

im still working on the class BC that the wilton courses use..think im to scared to try anything else..LOL

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 14

you should try bc dream or julie's less-sweet bc (both recipes from this site). half julie's recipe, though, if you don't have a ginormous mixer, otherwise it will be really hard to work with the whole batch.

gl

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 14

Mine would have to be the one that is now the defult listing on Wilton's website... I started using that one (1/2 butter 1/2 crisco) last year when I first started decorating and have never had any problems with it. I submitted it here as 0 trans fat crisco buttercream recipe.... If you use this recipe make sure you use whole milk and not water as water and crisco don't mix and that's where most of the problems lie icon_smile.gif

Also I've gotten nothing but compliments on the taste and texture of this recipe, everyone loves it! If I change I get yelled at from repeat customers lol

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 14

Anku-I use that same recipe and I found that when I switched to a store brand shortening, it worked fine. I use Piggly Wiggly shortening. Just be sure to check the label and make sure that what you buy has trans fat in it.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:19pm
post #7 of 14

I know Shirley has a great buttercream recipe -- I can't remember if it's Swiss Meringue or Italian Meringue. She altered the recipe so it wasn't so greasy and tastes great. You might look that one up as well, or PM her.

FromScratch Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:31pm
post #8 of 14

Pretty soon though nothing will have the transfat in it so it's best to find something that works with the 0 transfat version. I have heard that if you use water to make you BC it's not going to turn out with the 0 transfat because.. let's face it.. oil and water don't get along. But if you use milk it will be better since it has fats in it. I use heavy cream for the liquid in powdered sugar based BC (always have) so I have yet to have an issue. I did use crisco the last time I made it and it was the new version. I don't make it often though.. I prefer the meringue BC's.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks for backing me up on that one Jeanne icon_smile.gif I guess it takes more then one person saying the same thing for people to believe it really works that way lol. I tend to explain it like oil and water... because Crisco is in fact lard so it's oil.... lol

FromScratch Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 14

No problem-o Becky! icon_wink.gif

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 6:27am
post #11 of 14

Thankyou everybody on great suggestions and recipes.
Can't do without you all icon_smile.gif

LiliS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LiliS Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 6:39am
post #12 of 14

Hi I'm new here and from Australia so apologies for the stupid question, but what is Crisco? I have seen it here many times but not exactly sure what it is?? icon_redface.gificon_confused.gif

pyseas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pyseas Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 7:08am
post #13 of 14

It's a popular, brand name shortening. icon_smile.gif

They recently changed their recipe to make it trans fat free, which is making many tried and true BC's recipes go wonky.

LiliS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LiliS Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 7:11am
post #14 of 14

oh, ok. thanks for that! makes it all clearer now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%