Picky Father :)

Decorating By luvalot Updated 16 Sep 2006 , 2:58am by app_37190

luvalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvalot Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 2:02am
post #1 of 7

Hello all

I am making a bday cake for my Dad for Sunday and not sure what to do. He says he wants a creamsicle cake, but I am not sure what to use for filling or to ice it. I was thinking of icing it in chocolate, but not sure what kind to use...BC or ganache. My Dad is not a BIG chocolate fan but does like a mild chocolate. Basically I do not want the chocolate icing to nullify the yummy orange cake.

Also if I use ganache I have only ever just poured it on, not sure how to thicken it to ice a cake and be able to do borders with it.

Also for a filling, do I go with some type of vanilla or a creamsicle? He does like cream cheese either. I do not want an overly sweet cake.

Sorry for all the requests but I really want to give him a great cake!

Thanks so much!

6 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 2:30am
post #2 of 7

ok...a creamsicle is a combo of vanilla ice cream on the inside and orange sherbet covering

so in cake form....vanilla cake and orange-flavored icing and filling.

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 2:40am
post #3 of 7

You could use an ice cream sherbet sliced for the filling and make it an ice-cream cake if he is really wanting the creamsicle flavor to pop oit and it would also lessen the sweetness of the icing...

luvalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvalot Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 2:44am
post #4 of 7

ooops...that was to say he does NOT like cream cheese!

Thanks for your replies so far!

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 2:55am
post #5 of 7

You could use buttercream icing with orange flavoring to give it a kick. It would also cut down the sweetness of the cake. Ganache once cooled can be whipped in a mixer to get it to a icing consistency.

If you do a creamsicle cake I think DH has an orange cake mix but if not then you could do a white cake and marble it with orange color mixed in some of the cake batter. It would look just like a creamsicle....in fact you could sculpt a cake to look like a creamscicle bar! How cool would that be! Marble the white icing with some orange color to give it that look.

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 2:56am
post #6 of 7

I have a great recipe for a creamsicle cake. You can't really decorate it though. You use an orange cake mix{I use Duncan Hines}, if you can find one. Meijer is the only place around me that sells them. Last time I couldn't get my hands on one I just added a lttle bit of orange jello to my water{be sure to still use the exact amount the cake calls for} to make it orange and a little orange flavoring. I also doctor it with the extra egg and instant pudding. Then for the frosting you use a 16oz. pkg. of cool whip, 8 oz. sour cream and 3 cups of powdered sugar and I always add a little shot of orange flavoring to that as well, but you don't have to. Be sure to mix the powedered sugar with the sour cream first then fold in the cool whip or it will be very runny. The icing is a little droopy to begin with but tastes great!! I always do a thin coat of icing first then put in the fridge then do a second coat to give a good cover. I also torte my layers as well so I have 4 layers of cake and a lot of the icing in the middle. This icing isn't very sweet either. Be sure to store in the fridge. Everyone in my family loves this cake, you've got to try it.

app_37190 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
app_37190 Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 2:58am
post #7 of 7

Here is one recipe for Dreamsicle Cake. Hope it helps!

1 package Orange Supreme Cake Mix
12 oz. prepared Whipped Topping
16 oz. Sour Cream
1/2 cup Confectioners' Sugar
1 small package Orange Jello

Prepare the orange cake according to directions on package, and bake in two 9" round pans. When it's done, cool the cake for 10 to 15 minutes in the pans, then remove and allow to cool completely on wax paper. When the cakes are cooled, slice each in half to produce four round layers.

Meanwhile, blend together the prepared whipped topping, sour cream, and confectioners' sugar in a large mixing bowl with a hand-held mixer.

Place the first layer of the orange cake on a serving dish. Cover generously with the whipped frosting.

Repeat the process with the other layers, making sure to use the white frosting between all layers except the top one.

Mix at least half of the Orange Jello powder into the remaining while frosting. Cover the top layer and the sides of the cake with it. Chill to store, slice to serve. Make sure to keep any leftovers refrigerated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%