Okay Everybody, Answer This Question!

Decorating By patton78 Updated 20 May 2018 , 9:24pm by CalaMom

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 3:33pm
post #121 of 511

alicegop, could you please explain cake dressing a little more? I have never heard of it. I make such a mess with the flour and I always end up using to much. Do you mix all together?How long can you store? thank you.

oh yea, aine2's tutorial on how to make faces best tip along with everything else mentioned above.

love this site

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 3:47pm
post #122 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzycakes

There are sooooo many, but I'll just name one.
The Flower nail trick!

For those who don't know what that is.. It gives you level cakes when baking.

Just grease and flower a metal flower nail, place it faced down in your baking pan, pour batter around it and bake your cake as usual. Works great. No need for those baking strips or a baking core.

When the cake is done and cooled, just turn it out and the flower nail is on the bottom. No big hole, only a slight indentation the size of the flower nail head

The flower nail trick was a big dissappointment to me. It certainly doesn't help the cake when you have to slice off any excess while the cake is still in the pan. My cutter caught the point of the nail and tore it right through the cake. I was seriously dissappointed in that!!!!

I have to say for me personally the FBCT was my favorite technique learned here on CC thus far!

thumbs_up.gif

Amy

lcdmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcdmarie Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 3:57pm
post #123 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosstx

Sorry to post twice, but I forgot a good one...

The plastic wrap 'tube' of icing that you put in your bag. It helps keep the bag clean and makes it easier to change out colors! Can't believe I forgot about
this one! icon_smile.gif

what is this one ?
How do you do it?

the flower nail is great!

ideas I haven't tried yet but want to...
MMF
FBCT and choc transfer

Oh yeah and don't forget all the recipes that are shared...
the Fudge Layer Cake is wonderful
and the No Fail Sugar Cookies is great!

Thanks to everybody icon_wink.gif

cakemommy Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 3:58pm
post #124 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosstx

Sorry to post twice, but I forgot a good one...

The plastic wrap 'tube' of icing that you put in your bag. It helps keep the bag clean and makes it easier to change out colors! Can't believe I forgot about this one! icon_smile.gif

I mentioned this a while ago in another topic! I wonder if that's where you remember it from? I love doing that!!!!!!!!

I'm only on page 4 right now in all the replies and am still not hearing anything about the caramel coffee creamer and how it works. I did read about 1/3 cup powder and adding it to cake mix (I am assuming) but what about frosting??? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Amy

cakemommy Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 4:01pm
post #125 of 511

lcdmarie~What you do is take your excess icing when you store it or when you want to use it after you make it and wrap it up like a piece of candy in plastic wrap and just cut off one twisted end and put that end down inside your decorating bag and use as normal. When you're done, just pull out the plastic wrap and toss and put in another color, change or clean your tip of course icon_rolleyes.gif !

I learned this years ago from the lady I took lessons from! It's really nice especially if you're limited on bags or only using a few colors with the same tip.....

Amy

cakemommy Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 4:09pm
post #126 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywedws

Although I learned it from my instructor - I like the "plastic tube" method for frosting -for those who may not have seen it, here's my original post.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-38404-tip.html

Personally I think it should be listed as an article icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

I never saw your post and pictures about this but I had described the technique a long while ago on a topic similiar to this one! Your pictures help it out by showing exactly what has to be done! Thanks!

Amy

BigFatMamaKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigFatMamaKat Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:29pm
post #127 of 511

There are so MANY things! I haven't even tried everything yet, but I have used: Viva, flower nail, pushing the cake down to level, caramel/vanilla coffee mate, ganache, FBCT, and more. The main thing is the helpfulness of all the members. icon_biggrin.gif

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:35pm
post #128 of 511

I lost TWO red velvet cakes in one day. I stopped, logged onto CC and read about the flower nail! Haven't lost a cake since--(knock on wood)
Great TIP!! icon_biggrin.gif

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:38pm
post #129 of 511

BEST TIP: wrapping the cake after taking it out of the pan(s) to keep it moist! Especially great if you don't use mixes.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 6:09pm
post #130 of 511

Great topic!! I love everything about CC but most of all the friendships I have made!!!

I think I have had a question (or two) for every cake I have done & always get help here at CC!!

Thanks everyone!!

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 7:08pm
post #131 of 511

9 pages-WOW great topic! Well, I love love love this site! Everyone is so helpful and insightlful. Especially after this weekend. I had to "duplicate" a cake inspired by bjfranco that was a stacked race car cake and I posted a topic for help with MMF. Monica typed a 2 page note from beginning to end steps and diagrams how to carve the cake, make the mmf, how to shape the cones etc etc etc... Now that was helpful! I couldn't believe how much of her time she took to help me with that. I printed it and layed it next to all make cake stuff to refer back to while I was on that specific project. So first I love the help of everyone. The best trick I think I learned is the VIVA method because I cannot smooth icing with a spatula to save my life. Then it would the nail method. Then the buttercream dream frosting recipe on here, I was stuck on the Wilton one! There are endless possibilites on here!

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 7:50pm
post #132 of 511

Now its my Trun!

1) Here everybody is very helful...they share their tips and help others!

2) cake balls (very delicious)

3) Recipes on the site.

4) Encoragement you get from other cake decorators!

5) tips and ideas from other cakes on the site

6) Viva paper towel method

Many more!

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 8:57pm
post #133 of 511

WOW! i just read through everything and i saw a lot of things that i cant wait to try... specially the viloet tip...

as for me the best tips that i have gotten from CC are..

1) cake mix extender recipe

2) flower nail

3) beating my batter to reduce bubbles
( you would think that i would have thought about this but i never did and after having a cake come out looking like swiss cheese i got on here and with in like 2 mins i had a number of people willing to help me get through and solve my prolem, that is truly the best thing about this site that even some one as new to cakes as i am can get help from people who know as much as you all do. I just hope you all know how much that means. Thanks Yall!!!

((((((huggs))))))

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 9:19pm
post #134 of 511

I learned about FBCT & the cupcake bouquet... I really like the FBCT technique, my friends are wondering where I learned those things?...

Still learning though, so please keep replying to my posts...

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 9:58pm
post #135 of 511

This site is totally awesome and I'm so thrilled to be apart of the collective consciousness here...wish I knew everyone better,but I'm sure with time that will be one of my greatest assets icon_smile.gif

So far tips I've learned and used from CC is....

1) The Viva towel method

2) Cupcake Cakes

3) Adding Pudding to the cake mix recipe

4) Cake Balls

5) The tutorial on making sugar paste faces

6) Tips on gum paste roses

I'm sure with more thought I could come up with much more..but so far these are the best of the best I learned since coming to this site....As I bow and give Thanks to you all for your generous sharing and kind natures...Namaste, Mary birthday.gif

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 9:59pm
post #136 of 511

I'm still reading through this list, but my list would have to be:

1. Just getting to talk to other great people who love the same thing I do and going through the same struggles.
2. Cake balls
3. Viva method
4. MMF
5. Flower nail
6. Pan release
7. FBCT
8. Using a spackle tool for BC

I'm sure I will think of some as soon as I hit submit!

SidAna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SidAna Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 2:17am
post #137 of 511

Me me me now...

I have learnt a LOT from this site. This is not just for cake dilemmas, but also a'pick me upper' for me and most of us I guess.

I love the Viva method, levelling ideas for cakes, recipes and the humor from this site.

pattycakescookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakescookies Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 2:30am
post #138 of 511

OK I would say my favorites (although there are many more than this but two that have really helped me out) are adding Hershey's dark chcolate cocoa to your melted marshmellows B4 your powdered sugar to make black MMF and icing your cake upside down to get your icing smooth.

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 2:57am
post #139 of 511

1. Dont undercharge for your cakes~ you're worth it!
2. FBCT~ a blessing for my chickenscratch
3. NFSC
4. cake extender

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:12am
post #140 of 511

I have two favorites that have changed my methods forever.
1. Wrapping the icing in plastic wrap before putting into the decorating bags.
2. Microwaving the tips (and couplers) in soapy water.

Destini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destini Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:13am
post #141 of 511

Mine would have to be

1. Upside down icing teqnique(thanks fourangelsmommie)
2. Sifting cake mix
3. The members of CC (So many talented and amazing decorators who are always so helpful)

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:16am
post #142 of 511

So, are we going to start a section strictly about little tips that we learn from each other? I see lots of great stuff in the articles, but either i'm not searching the site right, or I don't pay enough attention.

My favorite tips are all of them that I know of. I will try the extender recipe this week. That is really helpful. I love the FBCT, it has opened more creative doors for me. I can't wait to try the flower nail trick, but my son will be disappointed!

I especially like the upside down frosting method, for when you need a "perfectly smooth" top and edges.

Thanks everyone on CC!

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:24am
post #143 of 511

Wow!!!what a lot of great information. I am so glad to find this site and this thread. As a newbie to the forum I have learned so much just from reading all of the posts. What I really like the most about cc is:

1: you can get an answer to your question immediately, there is always someone here willing to help

2: Someone always takes the time to post encouraging comments about your pictures

3: It is so nice to have people that love and understand the sometimes frustrating world of decorating and also know the love and work that goes into each creation and it is not "just a cake" to us.

Last week I had such a hard time with humidity and mmf and tonight I read to put it in the oven with the light on. Great tip! I will remember that one if it ever happens again.

Thanks everyone for all your great wisdom and for making me feel as though I have found some friends and guidance from all over the world!
Sorry I don't have a great tip to share, but if I ever get one I will certainly share!

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 5:37am
post #144 of 511

Great references on Cake supply sources.

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 7:44am
post #145 of 511

ALL the tips on this site have been AMAZING!!

I have learnt so many more tips than I already knew since reading this post!!

The one I cannot live without is my fishing line on a reel tied to a peg or dowel to torte my cakes. I toothpick at measured intervals round the cake and just put the line around these and gently pull. The cake slices evenly all the way through!

AND as its my birthday and I'm having some time off work this afternoon I'm going to have a play with my new mixer and try out some tips from this forum!!

cheers
Jan

heystopthatnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heystopthatnow Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 8:09am
post #146 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

1. Wrapping the icing in plastic wrap before putting into the decorating bags.

I'm confused...how do you do this?

KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylesMom Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 8:31am
post #147 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyloveconfections

1. Dont undercharge for your cakes~ you're worth it!
2. FBCT~ a blessing for my chickenscratch
3. NFSC
4. cake extender

What is NFSC?

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 6:16pm
post #148 of 511

No Fail Sugar Cookies = NFSC

Quietcntry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Quietcntry Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 6:22pm
post #149 of 511

The Viva paper towel trick hands down!!!!

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 6:29pm
post #150 of 511

my favorites are:

1. MMF
2. THe Viva paper towel/computer paper method
3. The flower nail

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%