Please Help Me......

Decorating By smbegg Updated 18 Sep 2006 , 7:56pm by smbegg

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, so I am having trouble making a good consistancy frosting. I have tried the crusting buttercream frosting, but it is really soft. Is this because I live in Texas? I used Meringue (spell) powder too.

Is there an alternative to the all shortening frosting, that tastes good but will hold up?

What do y'all use? I am just frosting and doing a border.

Please help me!

Stephanie

5 replies
good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 6

I have a different recipe than most. It holds up well in high humidity in Michigan.

2 cups Crisco
1/2 cup milk
2 lbs Powdered sugar
Beat 4 minutes
Add:
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs whites
Beat 4 more minutes

I make exactly like this EVERY time and get wonderful compliments.
Judy

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 6

How are you measuring your conf sugar?

What liquid if any are you adding and how much?

If it is humid I cut my liquid,use meringue powder and add a bit more sugar.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 6

Did you get my reply to your other post?

If you use the all-butter recipe, it's not going to set up as firm as the shortening recipe, and if you're already having issues with the shortening one, I'd be wary of the butter one. I use the shortening recipe, and for a 6-cup batch I flavor it with 1 tsp clear vanilla, 1 tsp butter flavoring, and one capful of Lorann champagne flavoring. I don't use meringue powder in my buttercream any more to save money and I don't miss having it in there.

Deanna

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 4:15am
post #5 of 6

I use part butter and part Crisco. I have found that in the summer I have to cut back to about 1/2 the amount of liquid I would use in the winter.

C

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 6

I think that I figured it out. I just used the stiff consistancy amount of liquid and added meringue powder. Worked and tasted great. I also found that like toomuchcake suggested, to wait longer to frost. My cakes are cool, but my kitchen is not from baking, so that was giving my soupy frosting too! Putting it in the fridge really did the trick. I was afriad that when I took it back out it would just melt again, but it didn't

Thanks for the help. The cake turned out great. I will post pics later

stephanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%