What Do You Guys Think?

Decorating By KandKsMadre Updated 22 Jul 2007 , 6:14pm by JoanneK

KandKsMadre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KandKsMadre Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 6:25am
post #1 of 11

So my sister is in the city band and on Thursday they are having an ice cream social with cake...My sister has asked me to make the cake for her, which I am MORE than happy to do..I'm in the wilton course I class right now, and I want all the practice I can get...So I got an idea for a cake today after searching.. I want the mermaid looking girl on the right side of the cake, and I might extend her hair to go all the way around the top, I'm not sure yet, I want to sketch it out..and the line of music notes to go somewhat in the middle... What do you think of this? Is it to much?

Also, are round cakes acceptable for this type of occasion, or should I just go with a sheet cake? In my mind the round cake would be perfect, but like I said, it's an ice cream social and I can't remember if I've ever seen a cake that's NOT a sheet cake! Any advice/help would be appreciated!

This is my first time posting pictures, so I'm hoping that I do it right!!
LL
LL

10 replies
Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 6:42am
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KandKsMadre

So my sister is in the city band and on Thursday they are having an ice cream social with cake...My sister has asked me to make the cake for her, which I am MORE than happy to do..I'm in the wilton course I class right now, and I want all the practice I can get...So I got an idea for a cake today after searching.. I want the mermaid looking girl on the right side of the cake, and I might extend her hair to go all the way around the top, I'm not sure yet, I want to sketch it out..and the line of music notes to go somewhat in the middle... What do you think of this? Is it to much?

Also, are round cakes acceptable for this type of occasion, or should I just go with a sheet cake? In my mind the round cake would be perfect, but like I said, it's an ice cream social and I can't remember if I've ever seen a cake that's NOT a sheet cake! Any advice/help would be appreciated!

This is my first time posting pictures, so I'm hoping that I do it right!!

As far as I'm concerned, cake is ALWAYS welcome.

I love the mermaid picture. Add the line of music to it. Whether round or sheet, I think it'll look beautiful. Don't forget to post the picture of the cake.

KandKsMadre Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 6:45am
post #3 of 11

Thank you!! I will be sure to post a picture since I'll be proud of it no matter how it turns out!! I'm actually really excited to make it...Thank you for your response!!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 6:47am
post #4 of 11

Nice ideas, can't wait to see what you do here!

KandKsMadre Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks guys...I just went to sketch out my cake, and my mom informed me that I'm not allowed to make a round cake, that it has to be a sheet cake because they "want to feed as many people as possible." They are paying like $2 for a piece of cake and icecream and I can't make an awesome round cake?

I guess I'll have to figure out how to do a sheet cake..My mom is mad at me now because I didn't want to make a sheet cake..I don't think it's going to look right.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 11

...mad at you? What the heck?
I love the pic of the flute playing girl....I think it would look fantastic on a round cake....as for feeding enough, can't ya do a 2 tier or something???

I really love the design....can't wait to see it!!!

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 11

There's no reason you can't do a round cake!! If you're concerned, include cutting instructions. Most people think you have to cut a round cake into wedges like a pie, but they should cut squares just like in a sheet cake. For more people you may need to do a stacked cake, but it's NOT HARD to do one if it's two tiers. Just put some dowels in the bottom layer. People are so tied up in thinking everything has to be a sheet cake. Do what you think is best, you're the expert here! As long as they get the # of servings they need, who cares what the shape is!
I think this will look awesome. What about extending the mermaids hair to eventually become the music notes? I can't wait to see what you do!

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 11

What about having the girl's hair flowing & wrapping around the cake turning into the music lines with the notes?

rosiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecakes Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 6:04pm
post #9 of 11

I think it will be very nice and as far as sheet cake vs round, I think round cake is nicer and also says to everyone "this cake did NOT come from walmart!" ha ha (but I'm sure they will know that based on your decorating anyway so use whatever shape works best with your design)

Good luck with the cake-

Rose

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 6:05pm
post #10 of 11

McCook,
i was thinking the same thing turn her hair in the the lines of music. and a round cake should work fine.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 11

I would do the round cake too. You can get just as many slices in a round as you can a sheet cake. Why do you think they have round tier cakes at weddings?

I think this cake is going to wonderful. Can't wait to see it finished.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%