Gumpaste Flower Cutters?

Decorating By AmyBeth Updated 15 Sep 2006 , 7:11pm by AmyBeth

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 6

My mom called me and told me to go and pick out what I want for my birthday and she would pay for it. I recently started trying out gumpaste. I would really like to make the flowers. I want to get some nice gumpaste cutters that produce really nice flowers. I have seen the Wilton set, but it doesn't even tell you the flowers that you can make with the set.
Does anyone have any suggestions on books, flower cutting sets, or whatever that all entails?
I really would take all suggestions and opinions!

5 replies
Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 6

The Wilton Set that comes with a booklet does have names and instructions for the flowers.I think it is good for a start.

padawn71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
padawn71 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 6

Amy... buy a metal set of cutters...i have bought a set of cutters...(which will remain nameless)...and find that i dont like the way the edges cut....
as for books....Collete peters has some info on it in one of her wedding cake books..and
i bought one called simplifying sugar flowers by alison procter...( have yet to have time to experiment) but...the book seems really detailed...good luckicon_smile.gif keep us posted...dawn

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 6

I have that book and I've just started working out of it. Maybe I can help you.

You'll learn how to make an apple blossom, Daisy, Tulip, Tulip leaf, Impatients, wild rose, violet and sweet peas, rose, carnation, daffodil and lilly, lilly leaf, forget-me-nots, chrysanthemum, pansy and the orchid, stephanotis, bluebell, Ivy Leaf, Baby's breath, and a holly leaf with the berries on it.

I hope this help you. Looking at the package you can't tell what flowers you will learn to make and the cover of the book is basically roses. I like to book but it's not really what I wanted. I don't think the cutters which are plastic work as nicely as metal cutters. That is just for me and you might find that they are just fine. Like the other poster said....it's a good kit for someone starting out and I do enjoy playing with it. The instructions are good and they have step-by-step pictures too.

Chrissy

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 6

if your just starting out, I'd go with the wilton ones. $20.00 plus use a coupon and thats not a bad price to get started. however, if you have the money to spend, SCOTT WHOOLEY or maybe its spelled WHOOLLEY ( just google it) has gumpaste cutters that are amazing!! go to his web sight and check it out. I just got mine the other day, and love them!!
the wilton set only has one size for the rose....I got tired of making that one small size, so I ordered the rose cutter from scott whooley, and they come in several sizes!!!!! the only thing about ordering from him, is that you have to order the book of instructions from amazon.com but it only cost about $15.00 and if money isn't a big problem, he sells a dvd that shows step by step on how to make the flowers. I would love to own that, but can't afford it.
plus when you order from him, you do so by email, and you can ask him questions about what everything you might need to make certain flowers.
go to his site, and enjoy!

melody

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks. I have done a litle bit with flowers and gumpaste. I have made roses with a fondant and a fondant/ gumpaste mix. I also prefer metal cutters.
I was recently taught how to do a beginner's cala lily. I didn't like it. They were short and stubby. They were not the long and graceful ones that I see.
I will have to look at those books.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%