Cost Of Ready Made Fondant Versus Homemade

Decorating By berryblondeboys Updated 5 May 2014 , 1:15pm by shezcakes

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 1:44am
post #1 of 22

So, I made a "spare" cake in case my slytherin locket cake didn't turn out, since it did turn out, I decided to use the rest of my gold colored fondant on that cake and we ate it today... I am in SHOCK that we all like Satin Ice!!! (at least with a nice, dark, dense chocolate cake)... DH said he even PREFERS it to regular cake. We had guests over and even the KIDS loved the fondant... and I find it WAY easier to work with over buttercream - like WAY easier to use... but... that's when I was using prepared Satin Ice.

I cannot spend approx. $10 on a cake JUST for fondant - my prices would be WAY high in that case. I figure that Slytherin Locket cake cost me about $18-$20 to make NOT counting the cake board I used or the ribbon for the locket's chain. But is making homemade Fondant any cheaper? I'm not drawn to MMF because it's not as natural as it can be, but I would probably liek to try Toba Garrett's recipe... but when you add in food coloring and those ingredients, how much cheaper is it to make prepared?

Melissa

21 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 1:52am
post #2 of 22

I can make a batch of MMF for about @2.20 and my kids love the flavor. I actually think it is the more natural of all fondant recipes since it doesn't call for glycerin, etc. I would think the Satin Ice would have a bunch of preservatives....... I would love to be able to afford it but I am on a tight budget so making the MMF myself is the most economical way...

I drool every time I was a cake decorating show where they pull out the big tub of fondant and just cut off what they need! icon_cry.gif Making MMF is NOT my favorite thing to do........ *sigh*

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 2:01am
post #3 of 22

Yep, MMF costs me about $2 to make too... and I like the flavor. I'm not sure, but I would think the store bought stuff would have just as many, if not more preservatives...

berryblondeboys Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:53am
post #4 of 22

Oh, I know the store bought stuff has stuff in it, but so do marshmallows. I'm asking about cost of from scratch fondant like colette Peters or Toba garrett. Glycerine isn't unnatural - it does occur naturally, now is waht we can buy natural? taht's a different question! LOL

Melissa

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 5:01am
post #5 of 22

I'm going to be making my own fondant for DD's cake next month. Cost was the deciding factor! I can make 2 lbs. of fondant for about $2 if I count only what I am acutally using, not how much a bottle of glycerin will cost, etc.
I'm going to need 8-10 lbs, and found that I'd be spending about $50 for the fondant, plus s&h. I'll be making it all for about $10 or so. For $40 I'll make the fondant.
Sugar $0.99
Glycerin $0.35
Shortening $0.55
Corn syrup $0.50
These are the prices I figured for grocery store prices. Buying in bulk/on sale will be even less.
HTH,

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 6:20am
post #6 of 22

Granted, all of my work is specialty work, but when it came time on the fondant issue, it came down to the time involved to make it versus the cost to purchase it. I use Albert Uster, so not exactly cheap either, but the value of time for me is more important than the financial difference. It all works out because I've got fondant that actually tastes good after a lot of brides have been trying some so-so brands or worse, Wilton.

Use what works for you. I used to make MMF all the time, it's just that it got to the point where having the extra time I would spend making it was worth far more than a tub of fondant is.

brittanydear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittanydear Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 7:13am
post #7 of 22

Like others, I think homemade fondant is way cheaper. I always make the homemade MMF. I have tried Toba Garrets and others recipes, but the MMF is by far the easiest to work with, IMO. It is also quicker to make I think. I like the MMF recipe with the shortening in it the best for workability, it is nice and soft and elastic, yet I can still do cut outs and stuff, and not have them stick to the board. I know what you mean though about marshmallows not being the most healthy/natural thing in the world. Also, be careful about glyericin. I bought some at CVS, and cooked with it, then only a year later saw in small print, for external use only. Good thing we never actually eat the fondant at my house.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 7:21am
post #8 of 22

Since making homemade fondant (not MMF) takes all but 15 minutes for 4 lbs, I can both afford the time and the money. Win win situation icon_lol.gif .

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 8:20am
post #9 of 22

Cool, that means I'll only be out 45 minutes or so for 10 lbs of fondant. Well worth $40 to me!

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 22

I guess like the others that have posted, you have to weigh cost/convience vs. your time.

Pre-made fondant does'nt come close to the price of homemade, but being able to just pull out what you need can save you that extra time to do other things. Look at it like this, let's say Satin Ice saves you 30-40 min total per cake, (some bakers don't work as fast as others). You would finish a cake in less time, and time as well all know hurts us the most, money wise.

A wedding cake that would take you 15hrs to complete, might take you 13 1/2.

If I could, I would buy pre-made, but I would probably have to charge more too.

baka4lyfe20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baka4lyfe20 Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 7:23pm
post #11 of 22

Did you see the fondant rant topic on Cake Central? Look for for it, it's in the general area. Tells a lot.

pechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pechee Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:54am
post #13 of 22

where do I find glycerin and gelatin in the store?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:11am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCake

Granted, all of my work is specialty work, but when it came time on the fondant issue, it came down to the time involved to make it versus the cost to purchase it. I use Albert Uster, so not exactly cheap either, but the value of time for me is more important than the financial difference. It all works out because I've got fondant that actually tastes good after a lot of brides have been trying some so-so brands or worse, Wilton.

Use what works for you. I used to make MMF all the time, it's just that it got to the point where having the extra time I would spend making it was worth far more than a tub of fondant is.

This is me, too. I was making MMF for awhile but not only was it unreliable (didn't always turn out the same every time) and it was hard on my mixer, but it was just another time consuming thing to worry about. I find the cost of buying my fondant is worth saving the time and extreme hassle it takes to make it... and then I just charge for it too.

I'm making a specialty cake this weekend that is going to end up costing me around $100 to make including fondant...however I charged $300 and I know that will cover my time well enough to be worth it. I guess it depends on your area and your target customer base as well.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:15am
post #15 of 22

I have only made MMF once and other than that, I use Satin Ice. Everybody I know who tastes the Satin Ice likes the taste. Also, it is very easy to work with.
Cost factors to me are:

MMF - $2.00, aggravation, frustration, disgust (I think I did it wrong LOL)

Satin Ice - roughly $20 for 5 pounds - no stress no fret

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 12:05pm
post #16 of 22

I made fondant on Saturday - 6 pounds, less than 15 minutes, including clean-up. It is stored in 2 pound blocks in foodsaver airtight bags, so it will keep pretty much until whenever I need it. Plus I know what is in it, when it was made, and I flavor it however I want it. Satin ice is easy to use, but I hate the overly vanilla flavor.

baka4lyfe20 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:36am
post #17 of 22

Gelatin? Isn't that like like unflavored jello mix? Also glycerin can, I think, can be purchased from any Wilton supplier. Paul, from the fondant rant, claims you can also get it at the drug store (but that's Canada, idk).

baka4lyfe20 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:41am
post #18 of 22

Sorry, my response was to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechee

where do I find glycerin and gelatin in the store?

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:10pm
post #19 of 22

I bought glycerin at the drugstore (Michigan). It was in the aisle with the skin care products. The price was only slightly better than than buying it in the cake supply store. Probably not worth the extra trip. Gelatin is found in the grocery aisle with the jello.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:19pm
post #20 of 22

I buy my glycerin at Hobby Lobby or Michael's.

I make my own fondant using Colette's recipe. I make a double batch at a time and it is quick and easy.

However, I will be needing about a pound or so of black for an order next month so I ordered Satin Ice. I figured that would be more efficient since it would be messy to color and I would have to deal with the dryness.

berryblondeboys Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:23pm
post #21 of 22

I was just thinking this too, if I had to color fondant red or black, I would want just to buy it and not do it myself. Even with the slytherin cake I just did, I bought yellow fondant and put just a dab or two of violet in it to get the more goldish color... that alone saved me time (and money) from tinting. Those deep colors take a LOT of color and can get QUITE messy.

Melissa

shezcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shezcakes Posted 5 May 2014 , 1:15pm
post #22 of 22

I usually make rolled buttercream and if I need a little more stability I mixt it with Wilton fondant.  The smell and the taste of rolled buttercream is absolutely wonderful. You can just eat it like soft candy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%