Mmf Is Lumpy, What'd I Do Wrong?

Decorating By curiouscakes Updated 18 Sep 2006 , 2:13pm by Moviechick00

curiouscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiouscakes Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 12:13am
post #1 of 21

I just attempting my first try at MMF. Seemed okay, despite the huge mess! Anyways, I kneaded and kneaded and kneaded. Even broke into little smaller sections to knead extra. My problem is, it seems like way too much powdered sugar! I used the 16 oz. marshmallows, 2T water, and 2# powdered sugar. Also, the gum tex stuff turned brown. I think when I kneaded it all in, it made it okay. It was just when it hit a wet spot. Anyways, I did my best, and just wrapped the MMF to set. Any ideas why it's still lumpy? Also, how long should it set for before I make my shapes to sit out and dry? THANKS!!!

20 replies
Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 12:17am
post #2 of 21

OK, I just made some this past week for the first time. It sounds like you have not kneaded it enough. I mean you have to knead the heck out of it. If it's getting hard, you can nuke it for a few seconds and knead it some more. It should be soft and supple to work with, no lumps. Do you think it's too dry? Add more water. -- I also wanted to say that I did not even come close to using the whole 2 pounds of powdered sugar, maybe 1 pound if that.

My problem has been that it turned rock hard about 5 hours after I made it, even though the consistency was perfect when I wrapped it up to rest. I'm thinking of trying some glycerine to see if that helps it not dry out.

I'm certainly not an expert, these girls & guys here can give you better advice. thumbs_up.gif

cmcgarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmcgarr Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 12:20am
post #3 of 21

Just wondering if you sifted your sugar before you added it to the liquid marshmallow?? Some people sift their sugar numerous times before adding it to the mixture.. I sift the sugar once through to get rid of lumps. That could be a reason why your mmf is lumpy.

Also, if you invest in a KA mixer with a dough hook, making mmf is SO much easier than kneading until your hands hurt! icon_biggrin.gif

whitet4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitet4 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 12:32am
post #4 of 21

I too am having problems with it. I added almost 2 pounds, and it rolls out nicely, but my shapes are not coming out clean. Everything is floppy. I am about to just give up and buy the dreaded Wilton, even though it tastes horrible.

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 12:36am
post #5 of 21

I am thinking to much podered sugar and more kneading. I now when I made it for the first time I also did not use all the powdered sugar, more like 3/4 of it.

Monica_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica_ Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 12:39am
post #6 of 21

Possibly a dumb question, but you did thoroughly melt the marshamallows first right?

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 12:50am
post #7 of 21

9 times outta 10 you will not use all the ps...maybe like 3/4 of what it calls for. I have never sifted my ps and have never had a problem. What are the lumps? I mean, is it a lump of ps or hardened mmf? I have never had lumps so I am trying to figure out why/how/what they are.

curiouscakes Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 1:39am
post #8 of 21

I didn't even think to sift the sugar first! The lumps are of the powdered sugar, not the marshmallow. I know if it turns hard after hours, you can remicrowave for a few seconds to soften it a bit to work with.
Maybe I should have sifted first. Also, I tried to use the full two pounds. Hopefully if I just knead it a bit more now, it'll work. I hope so! I'm supposed to have these darn things for a cake for saturday!! I'm getting down to the last minute and freaking out! Thanks for the help though!

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 1:51am
post #9 of 21

I have made up to 4 batches of MMF back to back before...I've only made it ONCE by hand and NEVER again. It just about killed me lol.

Definitely invest in a KA. Works wonders. I always sift my ps. Mine does get hard as a rock after about a day or two on the counter. However, nothing a short nuking and some crisco doesn't fix!

However, I've had some MMF that got really hard on the edges so I trimmed them off and then kneaded (it didn't soften up after I nuked it).

curiouscakes Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 2:16am
post #10 of 21

I have the kitchenaid mixer stand, but I let someone borrow it. Now I'm getting angry and thinking maybe I shouldn't have lent it out this close to needing it. ARGH! I just kneaded it some more and added a lot more water. That helped tremendously!! Thanks!

BuncoHappens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuncoHappens Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 2:52pm
post #11 of 21

I have made MMF many, many times and I get lumps when I don't sift the ps. I hate sifting and the time it all consumes, so I've made up my mind to start buying fondant. Satin Ice is a perfect texture and I like the decorating part, not the making, baking part. I'm frugal and have really had to justify spending the extra money, but time is money!! icon_wink.gif

kwhale202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwhale202 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 3:30pm
post #12 of 21

I make the mmf in my KA - sift the sugar and it has turned out everytime-I have a weak hand so I have to put in the microwave to warm it SLIGHTLY - that gives it more pliability and I have no trouble rolling it.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 3:37pm
post #13 of 21

I am so glad this came up, I am going to try MMF for the first time next week...now I have some ideas ahead of time....

really grateful I have that professional KA....sounds like its a lifesaver.

Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 3:49pm
post #14 of 21

I don't think that I have ever sifted the powered sugar. I usually by the bags that say X10 that means it has been sifted. I have found the best powered sugar is from Sams Club it comes in 7 pound bags. If it werent for my KA I dont think that I would make MMF at all. In the past when I have made it, it does get a bit hard but I nuke it for just a little bit. One word of advise dont just pick it up out of the micro......talk about third degree BURNS!!!! Ok just an FYI mustard works wonders on all kinds of kitchen burns.

MC

sjlarby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjlarby Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 3:52pm
post #15 of 21

I have just started making MMF and I have really enjoyed making it, minus the mess it makes in my kitchen. I just resently made some and for some horrible reason it came out mostly blended but then also had a lot of small dry crumbles (using a KA). But I kneaded it by hand, put it into an airtight container and let it sit overnight. I came back to it the next day, split it into 3rds, microwaved each for about 20 seconds, kneaded and kneaded while rubbing crisco in, and about 1/2 a tsp of glycerine and it came out beautifully. All the crumbles were incorporated and it was perfect.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 3:58pm
post #16 of 21

what is glycerine...and can I buy it with the Wilton stuff???

kwhale202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwhale202 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 4:26pm
post #17 of 21

Powder sugar that is 10x is the only one I use-the others are 6x if not stated otherwise. I put the sugar in the bowl then add the melted mm/flavorings to it and put my KA on lowest speed and gradually increase it. don't want sugar all over my kitchen

sjlarby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjlarby Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 6:11pm
post #18 of 21

Glycerine is great stuff. It has many many uses:
1. for royal icing you put in a couple of drops and it makes it nice and shiny, extends the drying time slightly, and makes it flow very smoothly.

2. for gumpaste you put in a little and it gives a great texture. It will help it not dry out so quickly and makes it more pliable.

3. for fondant...same effects as gumpaste.

Wilton definately makes a glycerine which you can buy at their website, baking supply store, Wal-Mart in the craft section, Hobby Lobby and Michael's.

I think it is an essential tool to have.

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 12:58am
post #19 of 21

Mustard on kitchen burns? Great tip! I burn myself all the time LOL. I'm a klutz, what can I say?

peterlori1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peterlori1 Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 2:52am
post #20 of 21

If you have a Cuisinart, you could process small amounts with the metal blade to break up the lumps and make it smooth. It also warms it nicely. I am not sure if this works with any other kind of food processor. I also recondition my gumpaste with that method.

Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 2:13pm
post #21 of 21

Candy

The mustard pull the burn out...but you have to apply it quick. It also keeps it from scaring. Its great!! I burned my leg when I was 15 on a motorcyle muffler. My friend's mom had put mustard on it before I realized what had happend....today no scar!! When I managed a theatre I burned my hands many times....mustard....no scars now on my hands.
Hope this helps.

MC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%