What Would You Do? Bad Bakery(Long)

Decorating By rosita6882 Updated 26 Jul 2007 , 7:48pm by JenWith

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 2:52am
post #1 of 32

Ok, so i work at a cake shop now, just a little over a month only three days a week. Already since i have been there i have seen so many Wrong doings that i just don't know if i still want to work there. #1- Every other girl there(besides me) has lickes her fingers, spatula, or even tips as they are decorating, without washing there hands ect. afterwords. #2-One girl cut her finger pretty bad and just wiped it with a rag and said, here when we cut ourselves we just keep working. Ok, no bandaide, and blood dripping from her finger as shes torting and icing cakes. #3- Today as the "baker" was bringing un-iced cakes from another store, i saw a fly "baked" into a cake just laying there on the top and the guy took it out and said, nobody saw that, that never happend. And a little after that said, "as long as we aren't eating it". Can you believe that? I am so discusted that i would never eat a cake from there myself and now am weary of anything that i myself don't bake. I have not confronted the owner with this because i am fairly new and i don't want to be put in a bad situation. This said, the first day of work one of the girls put two beer bottles behind my drives side tires and i ended up with a flat tire the next day. What would you do?

31 replies
FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 2:55am
post #2 of 32

Euuuuw! I would find another bakery to work in. Sounds like they are just lucky they haven't killed anyone yet. icon_surprised.gif

mbdecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbdecorator Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:05am
post #3 of 32

I would start looking for another job. You don't want your name associated with anything that's going on there. I would also call the board of health icon_eek.gif

RkRamirez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RkRamirez Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:07am
post #4 of 32

I would quit and then report the bakery to whoever needs to know, so they can be shut down. Now it makes me wonder what people have done to things that I buy.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:09am
post #5 of 32

that trick with the bottles is a sign of what's to come....get out of there before she gets "mean".

this is not a healthy work environment, i'd leave and report them. They need to be shut down.

mommachris

chqtpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chqtpi Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:09am
post #6 of 32

That is plain old disgusting....I would quit..not only is that a bad situatoin for you, but you don't want your name associated with anything of that caliber. Especially if you want to get your name out there for your own business. And after your last day, call the Dept of Health and request an anonymous inspection. Tell them what you witnessed and they will be over there in an instant. That place needs to be shut down and all of those "decorators" who are giving good decorators like us a bad name...well they need to have their pastry bags REVOKED icon_smile.gif

pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:13am
post #7 of 32

Yep, I would quit and find somewhere else to work. Nothing you do is going to make a situation that far gone any better icon_sad.gif . You have to ask yourself, if you wouldn't eat there, would you recommend them to your friends and family? Anybody? No job is worth putting up with those conditions.

Depending on my mood, I would even call your state equivelent of OSHA and/or the health department icon_twisted.gif (but that's just me) . You have legitmate reasons to file complaints and can do so anonymously if that helps.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:22am
post #8 of 32

Run as fast as you can out of there! and report them on your way out icon_razz.gif

pmw109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmw109 Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:28am
post #9 of 32

I would run out of that bakery as fast as you can and look for a new job. I would also definitely call the board of health and the police about the beer bottles incident. Wow that is just aweful. i'm always scared to eat anything unless I make it.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:28am
post #10 of 32

Call the heath dept anonymously.

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:30am
post #11 of 32

Do you even have to question what you should do? Gross!!!!!!!!!!!

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:31am
post #12 of 32

You are already "in a bad situation". I say talk to the owner and if that does not do any good, as I suspect it won't, find another job as soon as possible. You don't want to be associated with a place like that. I would also contact the local health department and let them know of the health violations.

Good luck!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:41am
post #13 of 32

...what would I do????
Tell the owner EVERYTHING you saw, quit, and then report the place....thats TERRIBLE!!!!!!

If that was you gettin' a cake from that place, wouldn't ya wanna know if a fly once lived in your cake?
Ugghhhhh......sooooooo grosssssssssssssssssss..............................

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:45am
post #14 of 32

Are you working in the REAL Hell's Kitchen?? OMG...sweetie, you're a good one. The fly would've been my breaking point. Ugggggh nasty. I know sometimes it's not that easy to just drop everything and go out and get a new job....but I sure would be looking. thumbs_up.gif

Oh my bad, let me make a correction, the runny finger would have done it for sure. Forget the fly (I really really REALLY HATE flies...so that's all I could focus on)

Wishing you the best out of a bad situation!

procrastibaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
procrastibaker Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:46am
post #15 of 32

WTH! I suggest that you quit if you can afford to. If you stay there and they get a rep for being gross it could follow you if you have your own business. Just call the Health Dept. and do an anynomous report and get them busted. icon_evil.gif

Angelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelgirl Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:49am
post #16 of 32

Oh, gross.

When I was in HS I worked for a little family resturant and similar things happened- food was dropped on the floor and just rinsed off etc. It's a popular resturant in the area but I just couldn't do it anymore- I finally quit. It was better to have no money than to work there!

I'd say get out now.

They make it so difficult (in some states) to be licenced to sell out of our homes, while this is going on in commercial kitchens. Ugh.

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:57am
post #17 of 32

Thanks for all the advice. I have made up my already. Tomarrow will be my last day there and i think i might just have to report them(if i don't get threatened). And to think that i have to go in tomarrow and try to translate everything in spanish(since i'm the only one there who speaks english). Wish me luck and if any of you have a job?? J/K. I think i know where i will be working next, at home taking care of my four kids till i can get my own buisness open. THanks Everyone!

mvhatteras Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvhatteras Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 4:19am
post #18 of 32

report to the health department and start looking for a new job!

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 10:10am
post #19 of 32

I would be careful on the excuse you give for quitting, if you tell them they are disqusting and all of a sudden the health dept. shows up, they'll know who called, then, that might be reason to give you threats. Maybe just tell them you are having babysitter problems and have to leave. As long as you haven't said anything to anyone about the conditions, you should be safe when you call the health dept. I am always about CYA. Good Luck.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 1:33am
post #20 of 32

I really can't see anything coming from calling the health department. I mean if they come and inspect I doubt they will lick the spatulas and tips in front of them. Nor would they cut themselves and allow it to bleed. Unless they have real violations that can be seen by the health inspector I think it would be a waste of time.

Just tell everyone you know and then maybe they will tell everyone they know...etc.

I worked at a Papa Johns when I was in high school and no one in that place ever washed their hands. They would go from taking in money to running over and making pizzas. Take the garbage out and then come in and make pizzas. It was nasty.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 1:49am
post #21 of 32

that is so disgusting! icon_eek.gif I agree on quitting with an alternate excuse...then wait a week or two before calling the health dept. I wouldn't want those ppl suspecting me to be the one calling on them. They sound scary.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:52am
post #22 of 32

Get outta there as fast as you can. I don't think you can secretly video tape someone without them knowing, but I wish you could somehow document these problems before you leave. They should not be in business! Sounds like a dateline exclusive if you ask me. icon_twisted.gif

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 11:54pm
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgirl

Oh, gross.

When I was in HS I worked for a little family resturant and similar things happened- food was dropped on the floor and just rinsed off etc. It's a popular resturant in the area but I just couldn't do it anymore- I finally quit. It was better to have no money than to work there!

I'd say get out now.

They make it so difficult (in some states) to be licenced to sell out of our homes, while this is going on in commercial kitchens. Ugh.

This may be a "commercial kitchen" but it's far from being a "PROFESSIONAL KITCHEN"

It's true that the inspectors don't just "appear" sometimes they do call ahead and people straighten their act up.

It seems to me that this is a "CULTURAL" thing, just like it is down here.

People come from another country that is NOT so on the sanitation bandwagon and open up food places and bring the only sanitation habits they know.

I once ordered sweet and sour chicken from a chinese restaurant in NYC...I never knew that chicken was GREY and stringy meat. I refused to pay for it, or even eat it...when the manager threatened to call the police on me, surprise surprise...

We were all POLICE DEPARTMENT EMPLOYEES! lol

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:50am
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

Get outta there as fast as you can. I don't think you can secretly video tape someone without them knowing, but I wish you could somehow document these problems before you leave. They should not be in business! Sounds like a dateline exclusive if you ask me. icon_twisted.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Toooo funny!
I will be the 1st one watching too! "To Catch a Nasty Predator....the secret behind 'unnamed' bakery". My old boss was a little gross to me but never like that. He had this herendous hacking cough...I just couldn't handle it and he licked his fingers....ughhhhh yuck.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:11am
post #25 of 32

I went into a local meat market around Christmastime to purchase a 7-rib standing roast (cha-ching!) and observed the butcher handling the meat with a large open laceration on his finger. It was fresh and it was uncovered. I'm sorry, but I'm not laying out a hundred bucks on a roast on which there is biohazardous material. I like being HIV- and hepatitus-free.

I came home and immediately called my city's health inspector. He was at the meat market within the hour.

Sometimes, people ARE motivated to go check out bad reports.

I think agencies feel reports are much more valuable coming from current employees, and ex-employees are likely to be disgruntled and have motive for filing false claims. If at all possible, report this bakery WHILE you are an employee.

Sherri

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:28am
post #26 of 32

Blood? Flies? Saliva everywhere? 2 Flat Tires!? Sounds like someone there was on to your game.

Are you listed in the phone book? Retributions can be costly - do you want to pursue?!? I have sucked it up when I thought someone would do worse on me if they thought I was the one to report their crappy business.
Call the PD & report the flat tires if you can & also report it to your insurance.
Call the Health Inspector pronto no matter what you do! They need to do a serious "sting" on that cake shop!

Date Line NBC, are you listening? icon_mad.gif

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:42am
post #27 of 32

I once worked for a dentist who was a real tight wad. She wouldn't change her latex gloves. She would go from the patients mouth to the computer, phone, & writing utencils then back to the patients mouth. UGGG! I did quit and because of that she wrote in my "discharge" papers that I was a pill freak and needed to not take pain meds whie at work. I never took anything, not even Tylenol. And this was a women who lived accross the street from me for 10 yrs and goes to my church.
Ohhh I am rambling.
I would report them to the health department. Only I would tell them who did it so there would be a record in case there was any retaliation. Report the flat tires also. If the owner or employees treaten you, report that also. A person can be charged for "terroristic threats". (My Hubby is a peace officer)

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:49am
post #28 of 32

.....eww.....

Sorry, I'm hearing those Monty Python Knights again....

"Run away!"

This is a bad situation all around and the quicker you get out, the better. Though I do worry about you facing retalliation (sp) if you call on them, as much as I think you should. You should just tell them you're moving way far away, like tomorrow, sorry, been nice, but later! Definitely file a police report, that way if (God forbid) anything else happens, it'll be on record that you've had problems in the past. Good luck,hun! I hope things go smoothly for ya....

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:49am
post #29 of 32

do not quit and tell them why...and THEN report to the heath department, they will have a chance to clean up their act. i agree...anonymously report them while you are there and then quit after the inspections are made.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:06am
post #30 of 32

WOW!

If you continue working there without doing anything about what's going on, should someone get sick or someone else make a call to the health dept. you may just get busted right along with the rest of the group. Picture this....tonight on channel 13's EYEWITNESS NEWS...a local bakery shut down until further notice when customers complained of flies staring back at them in their cake...MARVIN ZINDLER...EYE WITNESS NEWS!

but

If you make an anonymous call as suggested by MIKA, at least you'd be able to hold your head up when the poop hits the fan(maybe it already hit and everyone just said it was chocolate icing)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%