Wow - Can Anyone Believe The Jump In The Price Of Butter?!?!

Decorating By Edibleart Updated 22 Jul 2007 , 8:16am by okieinalaska

Edibleart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edibleart Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 25

I went grocery shopping last night and it had jumped 30 cents a pound in the last couple weeks and about 60 cents in the last few months! I have been charging according to my cost, but it is going to be out of my customer's range pretty soon!!!

What is everyone else doing - or is it just an area thing?

24 replies
mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 25

butter, eggs, milk have all gone up...even powdered sugar is about 20 cents higher than it was a month ago. icon_cry.gif

kchart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kchart Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 25

I buy the walmart brand and it's usually $1.88 for a pound. I've tried land o lakes, but don't like the price and I think it all tastes the same for buttercream!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 25

Yes...even butter here in canada is $3.99 a pound.Everything is rising!!

mjpbmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjpbmf Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 25

I'm in Wisconsin. I bought butter yesterday at the grocery store for $3.59/ lbs.Saw it at Super Target and it was $2.59/lbs. there. Yikes! Milk is up as well.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:02pm
post #6 of 25

See this thread re: effects on why food prices are rising....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-4258233-.html#4258233

Edibleart Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 25

Thanks for the info Indydebi. I had been paying $1.88 a pound a month or so ago but then it went to $1.98 and last night it was $2.28. This is at Wally world. Maybe I should check elsewhere, but I had heard that alot of the stuff was going higher so I'm thinking it will be that way at the grocery stores also. I find the price hikes to be a little frustrating because sometimes I think the stores take advantage of the hype and instead of raising their prices to compensate for the actual difference they pay they just double the difference and take home the extra and no one questions it because of all the hype. I know that doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes I think does! I'll get off my soapbox now - sorry!

indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 25

edible, I feel the same about gas prices!

But to defend us food people, when I set my pricing for the year, I have to take into consideration what increases might come along later. Sysco can change their prices every single day depending on the circumstances. My prices are published and contracted months in advance with brides. So I not only have to set the pricing for what I'm paying now .... I also have to set them for worst case scenario and what I might pay later.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 25

I buy my butter wholesale in 55# pound blocks. In the summer, it lasts about 2 weeks, but in the winter, I bag it in gallon ziplocks and freeze what I don't need right away. The price fluctuates, but right now I think I am still at $115 (and thats the higher Alaska price).

KoryAK Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 25

I buy my butter wholesale in 55# pound blocks. In the summer, it lasts about 2 weeks, but in the winter, I bag it in gallon ziplocks and freeze what I don't need right away. The price fluctuates, but right now I think I am still at $115 (and thats the higher Alaska price).

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:39pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

where do you get your butter in bulk? i tried my GFS, but they only had tub butter in the larger amounts, and that never works as well for me when im baking!

KoryAK Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:58pm
post #12 of 25

At a local place called Linford's... but I'm pretty sure our Sysco and FSA carry it too. Check out your local phone book and just call a few places.

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 25

indydeb.......I could not the link to work, so I apologize if my post is the same info. My full time job is a purchasing agent, so I have to watch commodity prices and markets all the time, and I also grew up on a dairy farm, so know first hand the economic affect of the pricing fluctuations. For several years now, milk prices were at a "flat" rate, despite the rising cost of fuel, etc. Finally, earlier this year, milk prices per cwt started to increase, and are predicted to stay at higher levels for a while.......here in Wisconsin, the big push for this is ethanol (as well as most of the country)- and how does that relate? Well, it takes corn to make ethanol for fuel, and more people are trying to help in our independence from foreign oil, so the demand for ethanol based fuels is increasing, which in turn increases the demand for corn, which makes corn more expensive to feed cows, and so on. Many of the farmers around the country are planting more corn, because corn prices have increased 50% over a year ago, and are still on the rise........my dad is one of those....he replaced 50% of his soybean crop with corn, as did alot of farmers, which will affect the other products.....soybean, wheat, alfalfa, etc. production will decrease because of the corn increase, and that's what will make the products that are manufactured from those crops more expensive. It's all one vicious cycle, and opinions vary, but the grocery store costs will keep rising until everything levels off. The gas prices are really the biggest push for all this.........sorry, I am rambling now, but that's my 2 cents worth.

indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 7:32pm
post #14 of 25

Kerri, that's the best explanation I've seen. I hadn't even factored in the "lost opportunity" cost with fields converting from soy to corn, thus while corn production is increased to meet demand, we are creating new shortages in other grains.

I don't feel so bad about my rate increase anymore.

Edibleart Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 7:34pm
post #15 of 25

Gas prices do seem to be the root of the problem when you think about it. It is too bad that we can't find another renewable resource to replace that with besides something that is already being utilized for food! Of course, if I had the answer to that I wouldn't have to worry about what to charge my customers!!! icon_smile.gif

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 7:40pm
post #16 of 25

try costco, sams club, or smart and final for bulk butter. its usually cheaper

mvhatteras Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvhatteras Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 9:50pm
post #17 of 25

I sell food to restaurants and bakeries for a living so I am constantly watching the numbers.

Our butter prices actually went down this week. Eggs have gone up and will probably continue to rise. Dairy prices will probably increase for another month or so until the dairies up production and schools open.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 4:01am
post #18 of 25

In my area I've noticed shortening has almost doubled in price!

mvhatteras Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvhatteras Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 4:06am
post #19 of 25

anything shortening related is going through the roof. the cheap oil that my restaurants used to buy for $9 is now in the $16 to $18 range - and that is the bottom of the barrel quality.

looking for new fuel sources for cars is great but remember that most of those sources are currently being used for food items - as the demand goes up so will the price!

indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 4:46am
post #20 of 25

At least on the positive side, food products is a renewable source so it's not as detrimental as oil dependency.

But I'm no tree hugger. I want cheap food and cheap gas and no excuses! icon_twisted.gif

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 1:02pm
post #21 of 25

check out olive oil too, it's up to $10 bottle!!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 2:32pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I got butter on sale for $2.77 a pound this week. Usually it's on for $4.59.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:16am
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I got butter on sale for $2.77 a pound this week. Usually it's on for $4.59.

$4.59 a pound? where do you live?

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 7:12am
post #24 of 25

I also grew up on the farm in WI and my only thought is hopefully soon the farmers will actually be paid what they're worth to this country! (a LOT more than the insurance and other big name industries who get bonus checks in the billions just for gracing a company with their presense) The sad reality is that the jump in prices only makes the farmers closer to paying the bank to let them operate yet another year, not actually turn a true profit.

The ethanol is a double-bind in that yes it does help get us less dependent upon foreign oil, but if we TRULY wanted to be, there would be a mandate out tomorrow that all vehicles produced after such & such a date would be required to run on it or Bio Diesel completely. Especially when the raw materials for a gallon of ethanol are $12 (ethanol is highly subsidized). Also, the push to allow more ethanol plants versus the push to eliminate any idea of adding an additional refinery or three to help ease some of the problems as well (we just came off of $3.50/gallon gas because a refinery in Kansas or was it Missouri had to shut down because of flooding)..

The other factor of the food cost increase is the fact that the minimum wage just went up this week and that "raise" has to come from somewhere. The sad reality is that the minimum wage hike was only a "feel good" measure by a lot of people who don't understand pure and basic economics because the cost of things like butter, flour, etc. for living is going to go up equally to that minimum wage hike. Most people are paid higher than minimum wage but are going to expect a raise of $ because they are gracing the company with their just showing up. My brother called the Minimum Wage Increase a "Wage CUT!" because his employer is not going to give him any extra money to work his job but his cost of living is going to get hiked. He's barely at a living wage currently, this drop in what he will get for his money is going to push him farther for making everyday ends meet (he already isn't running the AC this summer)..

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 8:16am
post #25 of 25

Kory, hey girl! Do you remember me from Juneau? Looks like you are doing great. I will pm you. : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%