I Was Told Today??

Decorating By Iloveweddings Updated 23 Jul 2007 , 2:11pm by spongemomsweatpants

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:23pm
post #31 of 92

Here it is.... I love this cake!

http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/cakepict/grad.htm

Oh yeah and dont forget they use those stairs and bridesmaids at a lot of 15eras.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:24pm
post #32 of 92

i have to confess...... im a fountain hater! LOL icon_wink.gif

i know a lot of people love them, im just not one of them! if someone asked for one, i would do it, but i would never display the picture of that cake! (well, maybe i'd take a pic of it before being placed on the pedestal over the fountain, and show the cake that way...)

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:25pm
post #33 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajo1

I think those steps have their place.... have you seen the adorable cake with the graduate and baby and little girl.... that had steps (I think!) I love that cake! Aw shoot I had a fountain on my cake.... i still think it was beautiful! icon_lol.gif It was very traditional with foofoo! I loved it! Oh yeah im 32. we celebrate 9 yrs next week.

Martha I DID see that cake and it is truly adorable!!! So yes, you would be right in that they have their place. I didn't have steps or fountains or ruffles at my wedding hmmm I must be ahead of the times! LOL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:25pm
post #34 of 92
Quote:

Oh yeah and dont forget they use those stairs and bridesmaids at a lot of 15eras.

Do I see some ruffle peaking out from under the rectangle cake board?? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

beccakelly Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:32pm
post #35 of 92
Quote:

must also confess, i still don't like the stairs! but to be fair, i don't think there is a cake ever created with stairs that i would like. its just not my thing. im much more into contemporary/mod cakes with clean lines and few to zero frills. so take my opinion for whats its worth! icon_lol.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:43pm
post #36 of 92

I had a bride come over with her planner and the planner asked me if I could do the ruffles and stairs. I told her it was old fashioned and I think I kind of hurt her feelings.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:44pm
post #37 of 92

Wilton has cut back on the ruffle selection though, my 1979 yearbook has: green, yellow, pink, blue, white, silver, gold, brown, orchid, orange and red available. icon_razz.gif

My MIL keeps telling me that since clothes and stuff from the 70's are back that the cakes in my old books must be what's "in" again too. icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:54pm
post #38 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

I had a bride come over with her planner and the planner asked me if I could do the ruffles and stairs. I told her it was old fashioned and I think I kind of hurt her feelings.

You can say that in a way that sounds complimentary. "Oh, those are such a grand old-fashioned look! It will be great to do one of those again!"

I take the stance of "what's 'in' is whatever the bride is wanting."

MmmCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MmmCakes Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:00pm
post #39 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccakelly

i hope no one gets upset, i say this as a 22 year old! but the ruffle thing is very "old lady who owns cats". lol. very out of style in my opinion. but i also consider fountains and staircases to be an out of style, 80's kind of thing. hope i didn't offend anyone! just a personal opinion!

You took the words out of my mouth. I'm 27. I believe the exact same thing! That's hilarious. But the aweful thing is that I have a cake with staircases and a fountain to do for next month. The bride, who is younger than I am by the way, was dead set on having her cake this style.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:10pm
post #40 of 92

Hmmmmmm, methinks it is a regional and/or ethnic thing cause I see them all the time. Young old whatever.

There is something for every one and at 56 I've seen that every thing comes back in vouge (the 70's just won't die!!) .There is always someone telling you what is in or out and people just keeping on doing what THEY like.

Besides as decorators it is our job to give the customer what "they" want and make it look darned good!!!

beccakelly Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:17pm
post #41 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfin

Hmmmmmm, methinks it is a regional and/or ethnic thing cause I see them all the time.

cake ruffles? really? i must say that surprises me! or do you mean the fountain/stairs thing?

lovescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovescakes Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:25pm
post #42 of 92

ruffles, staircases and fountains might be out of style but still been used alot for "quinceaneras " (spanish 15th birthday parties) It's like a tradition.
In spanish we have a saying "for the taste, colors were made".
I personnally don't like them now, but I did back in the late 70's when my friends had those big cakes for their "quince" but not me, my mom could'nt efford it.

dolfin Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:28pm
post #43 of 92

The whole ball of wax! I live in a farming community in CA lots of quinceneras, stairs fountains and the cinderella coach are still going strong. Mind you ruffles aren't on every cake but they are still out there.

They still pop up on cake boards in the gallery. I am guessing you will find in just about any ethnic bakery.

They are not dead and gone, just sitting quietly in the background, popping up every now and then waiting for someone to DISCOVER them agian.

LOL that is like a statement some one made a few months ago about Buttercream being in again. I never knew it was out!!!!!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:41pm
post #44 of 92

I agree that it is whatever the bride/client wants...

But for the record, I'm 30 and definitely think the whole ruffle/staircase thing is tacky all around. I do understand regional or cultural differences though, so to each their own.

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:42pm
post #45 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccakelly

i have to confess...... im a fountain hater! LOL icon_wink.gif

i know a lot of people love them, im just not one of them! if someone asked for one, i would do it, but i would never display the picture of that cake! (well, maybe i'd take a pic of it before being placed on the pedestal over the fountain, and show the cake that way...)

Hehehe.....I'm 27 and I hate those too! When I was little I would see them and be in awww....but I think they are so 80's now! I was just teasing one of my friends a few months back telling her if she ever would happen to get married again I would make her one of those huge cakes with the fountains and stairs and the plastic ppl! LOL! I guess if I had to do one though I would.....and probably laugh the whole time!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:46pm
post #46 of 92

I GET A REQUEST FOR THE FOUNTAIN OCCASIONALLY.....THE STAIRS NOT SO MUCH.....TUCK AND RUFFLE......UGH......BUT YOU KNOW LIKE ALL FASHION ITEMS......." IT WILL RETURN! "

indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:46pm
post #47 of 92
Quote:

LOL that is like a statement some one made a few months ago about Buttercream being in again. I never knew it was out!!!!!

hahaha!!!!!!! missed that one, too, since I've done nothing BUT buttercream for 25 years! Perhaps the person who said that was one of the "youngsters" who think history starts the day they were born. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Ahhhhhh...... the advantages to being older! icon_rolleyes.gif

Susieindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susieindy Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:52pm
post #48 of 92

I did my 25th anniversary cake and ALMOST put the ruffle around it, but I changed my mine and returned the ruffle to the store. Decided the cake didn't need it. My son just got married, and the cake they chose just had scrolls all around it, and silk roses between each tier. I think the style anymore is less is better. At least, that's the way it seems.

dolfin Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:53pm
post #49 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

hahaha!!!!!!! missed that one, too, since I've done nothing BUT buttercream for 25 years! Perhaps the person who said that was one of the "youngsters" who think history starts the day they were born. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Ahhhhhh...... the advantages to being older! icon_rolleyes.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

4them Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4them Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:56pm
post #50 of 92

it is so out of style i've had a person equate it to the satin in coffins!!!

terrylee Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:56pm
post #51 of 92

YEH I DID A CAKE FOR A CLIENT FOR THEIR 25TH ALSO....THEY DIDN'T HAVE WEDDING CAKE SO I DID THE TRADITIONAL CAKE WITH ICING ROSES....THEY .LOVED IT.......I LOVE DOING THE OLDER TYPE CAKES.....BUT I DO ENJOY THE CHALLANGE OF THE THE NEWER CAKES FONDANT AND ALL

beccakelly Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 7:07pm
post #52 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4them

it is so out of style i've had a person equate it to the satin in coffins!!!

this cracked me up!! you guys are all so funny icon_lol.gif

moochy720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moochy720 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 7:15pm
post #53 of 92

I agree that the ruffles and stairs are definitely out, but I had a fountain under my wedding cake! (and I haven't even been married for 2 years yet!) icon_razz.gif I've always loved fountains of any kind. If you ask my husband, he'll jokingly tell you it's because I'm Italian (you know the stereotype... fountains, marble, bathtub madonnas, lawn ornaments...) but i only like the fountains! i just think the sound of gently running water is relaxing. icon_smile.gif

dolfin Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 7:16pm
post #54 of 92

Ok all you people in pleasantville, walk to the end of main street. You'll find a whole world of color and choices enough for every one.

terrylee Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 7:52pm
post #55 of 92

HOW OLD ARE MOST OF YOU........ " DISNEY LAND" WAS IN BLACK AND WHITE WHEN I FIRST WENT THRU IT.......IT FUN TO READ ALL THE POSTS.......BUT REMEMBER LIKE I SAID......THEY WILL BE BACK..! LOL

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 8:14pm
post #56 of 92

call me ingorant...but what is a tuk-n-ruffle?

Speaking of out of date....I had a good laugh at my MIL who gave me a picture of a cake she's been holding on to "forever" in hopes that her daughter might have this cake for her wedding. She still really digs it and it just smacked of 1986 to me. It was several smaller cakes on pedistals surrounded by tulle with baskeweave icing and flowers on top with lots of greenery and baby's breath. I cringed when I saw it.

terrylee Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 8:21pm
post #57 of 92

TUK & RUFFLE IS THAT LOVELY BEAUTIFUL PLASTIC PHONEY LACE THAT YOU PUT AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR CAKE...... WILTON SOLD IT BY THE YARD.
WE USED TO BY YARDS AND YARDS OF THAT STUFF.... IN FACT I STILL HAVE SOME.......!

peytonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peytonsmommy Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 8:23pm
post #58 of 92

I was just talking to Dh the other night about our wedding cake. We got married in 2001 (at the grand 'ole age of 1icon_cool.gif and our cake was the typical '80's fountain, ruffle, and stairway combination complete w the plastic bridesmaids. When we were little I used to go through my mom's Wilton books and just knew I had to have a cake like that so that's what I did. NOW, I look at the pictures and just wonder what in the heck I was thinking lol.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 8:30pm
post #59 of 92
Quote:

Hmmmmmm, methinks it is a regional and/or ethnic thing cause I see them all the time. Young old whatever.

Me, too! But then I live in West Texas & we are supposedly years behind the rest of the world in style. I don't use the ruffles much, but I have used them a few times. I've only used a fountain once & no stairs, but see them all the time, especially at quinceneras.

baka4lyfe20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baka4lyfe20 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 8:56pm
post #60 of 92

Ok, up until about a minute ago I had know clue what fountains on cakes were all about. Then I google imaged searched fountains cakes and found this: www.cakechannel.com/wedding-cake-fountain.html

I love the second line: "You are here because you want to try something different and invigorating on your wedding."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%