3D Cake Ontop Of A Sheet Cake...?support?

Decorating By USMC_SGTs_Lady Updated 24 Jul 2007 , 12:25pm by USMC_SGTs_Lady

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 11

So my next cake order they want a cow shaped cake placed on top of a 1/2 sheet cake... icon_confused.gif ....the cow cake is going to be a little smaller than a 1/2 sheet cake, that i am going to carve and it going to be chocolate cake, covered with BC. The 1/2 sheet cake is going to be chocolate also, covered with BC and have a peanut butter filling.
i have never stacked cakes before (not expieranced enough yet, IMHO, and i am scared icon_redface.gif ) so i don't know if i need to support the cow cake with like dowels or something or what, or will the cow cake most likely not weigh enough to need support???the cow cake is going to be carve out of a 1/2 sheet cake, so it will be the same thickness as the 1/2 sheet cake it sits on top of.... icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif please help
any helps or advice is GREATLY appreciated!!!

10 replies
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 11

anybody....any advice?....
bump

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 11

better safe than sorry..

treat it just like any stacked tier and support on cakeboard w/ support dowels

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 11

Agreed - use a cakeboard/cardboard covered in foil etc in the same shape as the cow underneath between the 2 cakes and support it using dowels made from wood / straw/ plastic to support the board. It might not be necessary, but better safe than sorry!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 11

Trust me and dowel that puppy - er - um - I mean cow! If you don't you probably will be sorry....it happened to me. icon_biggrin.gif

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 7:14pm
post #6 of 11

when i made my 1/2 sheet with a army tank on top i used dowels. i only used 2 but if the cow is almost as big as the cake id use 4 just to be safe

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 11

Will the cow be laying flat (2-D) or standing up (3-D)? If it's like another layer (making the cake 4in high)...I never dowel or anything else. Never had a problem. If it's like a tiered cake, bottom layer being 4in high with cow on top, then yes, I would add support. My Onesie, Grizzlie's, Bikini and nightie in the galllery,are all what 2-D, no support underneath...not even a board. (just like a 2-layer cake) But I'd be safe than sorry. Make sure to send a pic! thumbs_up.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_SGTs_Lady

So my next cake order they want a cow shaped cake placed on top of a 1/2 sheet cake... icon_confused.gif ....the cow cake is going to be a little smaller than a 1/2 sheet cake, that i am going to carve and it going to be chocolate cake, covered with BC. The 1/2 sheet cake is going to be chocolate also, covered with BC and have a peanut butter filling.
i have never stacked cakes before (not expieranced enough yet, IMHO, and i am scared icon_redface.gif ) so i don't know if i need to support the cow cake with like dowels or something or what, or will the cow cake most likely not weigh enough to need support???the cow cake is going to be carve out of a 1/2 sheet cake, so it will be the same thickness as the 1/2 sheet cake it sits on top of.... icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif please help
any helps or advice is GREATLY appreciated!!!

I usually use chopsticks to support my carved cakes when I place them on top of other cakes. Much cheaper than dowels and work just as great plus they are easier to cut. I did a Thomas the tank cake about 2 weeks ago and the chopsticks worked wonders.

USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:27pm
post #9 of 11

ok so this may seem silly....but when they go to cut the cake, will they have to lift the cow cake off the sheet cake b/c there will be a cake board underneath it? So should i or do i have to cut the cake board a little bigger then the cow cake, so they can get their fingers under it? Also can i use a cardboard cake board or should i use a plastic one?...i know that the cardboard boards soak up oil from the cake and frosting...??? i'm probably making this harder than it really is right... icon_rolleyes.gif

also the cow cake is going to be 2D cake that i will carve out of a sheet cake

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:47pm
post #10 of 11

Yes, they will have to remove the cow from the sheet cake to cut it. (check out the pig on the sheet cake in my photos) I actually transported the pig separately and just sat it on the doweled sheet cake upon arrival at it's destination. They both are quite heavy so moving them separately saves on the back.

The best thing to do is make your dowels slightly taller than the sheet cake so the cow board will not be touching the icing on the sheet cake. Then they can get their fingers under it to move it to another place on the table and it won't have icing stuck to the bottom of it either. if you are worried about the cow board showing, just pipe a border around it after you set in on the sheet cake.

HTH

USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:25pm
post #11 of 11

ok so final question....
when i put the cow cake(with the cake board under it) on top of the sheet cake, can i put little notches on the bottom of the cake board where the chopstick will support it, so that it won't move?....the people who ordered the cake are going to meet me about 15 min. away from my house to pick up the cake and then they are going to drive to the birthday party thats about 30 min. away....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%