Bride Wants Cream Cheese Frosting!!! Help!!!

Decorating By mcdonald Updated 13 Sep 2006 , 3:15pm by Chef_Stef

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 17

I have a bride that wants cream cheese frosting. I have not worked with this before and so I have been experimenting with the crusted cream cheese frosting from this site which tastes WONDERFUL but I seem to have problems smoothing it. I set it in the fridge for 15 or so minutes and take it out. Can I keep putting it in the frig and taking it out to work on it? What about the icing I have to decorate with? I left it out of the frig, covered and it was sooo soft!! I must say that I am a buttercream fan through and through and this is new to me... anyone with any thoughts, tips, suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks to everyone on this site for being so giving in their suggestions and ideas!! This is great!! What a democracy!!!!

16 replies
Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 17

I used Rose Levy Berenbaum's White Chocolate Cream Cheese frosting on a cheesecake wedding cake earlier this year, and it is AWsome. It was easy to smooth with a hot knife and was delicious and easy to make. You can see it on my cheesecake wedding cake in my pics...

I don't know anything about crusting icings, because I don't like icing with a...crust...sorry...

Let me know if you want the recipe. icon_smile.gif

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 17

Homecook, you're right. That white chocolate cream cheese frosting looks delicious. Would you mind sharing the recipe?

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 17

SOUNDS WONDERFUL!! if you could share the recipe that would be very nice of you!! Posting it in the forum comments or my email address is [email protected] or direct me to a website.. whichever is easier!!!

Thanks so much for your time in replying!! I appreciate it!!!

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 17

I would love the recipe too - please pm it to me..
Thanks!!

gypsycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gypsycake Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 17

I will also love to have the recipe

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 17

ahem....uhmmm..may I please have the recipe as well? I'm tired of the same frosting, and a god cream cheese frosting with fall coming sounds too delish! Thanks so much!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 17

You can type in "cream cheese" and search "frostings" and get several recipes. You'll have to decide which one tastes best to you. Lots of luck. I look forward to seeing the finished cake.

Chef_Stef Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 17

I'll just post it here so you can all, um, help yourselves...lol

It's wonderful! I'll post the small and the large-scale recipes...

SMALL, MAKES 4-3/4 CUPS (and yes, there's no sugar in it)

9 ounces of white chocolate (REAL white chocolate, not the vanilla junk--look for cocoa butter in the ingredients)
12 ounces of cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1-1/2 TB lemon juice

1. Break chocolate up and melt in microwave, stirring every 15 seconds. Remove before fully melted and stir, using residual heat to complete the melting. Careful with white chocolate, getting it too hot is bad. Let cool.

2. In mixing bowl beat cream cheese with flat beater until smooth and creamy, gradually beat in the chocolate until smoothly incorporated. Beat in the butter and the lemon juice. Repeat at room temperature to ensure smoothness before frosting.

A note about using this in summer heat: Decrease the butter to 2 ounces, and it will hold up quite well.

LARGE SCALE RECIPE, makes 13 cups

24 ounces of white chocolate
2 pounds of cream cheese, softened
1 pound unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup lemon juice

Same instructions as above. Decrease butter to 4 oz for summer weather if desired.

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 1:14am
post #10 of 17

oohhh i wanna try this! s ounds WONDERFUL! thanks for posting that!

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 1:32am
post #11 of 17

THANK YOU!!!!

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 4:51am
post #12 of 17

I use a crusting cream cheese BC, that has shortning butter and cream cheese it works very well, I have done a 6 tier red velvet wedding cake with this and the customer said there was not a scrap left. It ices and decorates well.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 4:56am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook

I used Rose Levy Berenbaum's White Chocolate Cream Cheese frosting on a cheesecake wedding cake earlier this year, and it is AWsome. It was easy to smooth with a hot knife and was delicious and easy to make

That is my MOST FAVORITE cream cheese icing to use! I use it on all of my cheesecakes. It is such a dream to ice with!!! It's also so easy to make! One thing ... I find it easier to melt the white chocolate in a double boiler rather than microwave it, but that's just what works for me. Just wanted to throw that out there for anyone who may not have a microwave or would like another option. icon_smile.gif Also ... I've never tried this icing on anything other than cheesecake, but it does firm up a lot once it's refrigerated (I think the main reason for this is the white chocolate). Just wanted to warn you about this in case you're expecting it to stay soft like other cream cheese icings do.

Aztec9206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aztec9206 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 5:00am
post #14 of 17

It sounds delicious!!! gotta try it....!!!

Keep on baking...

Cindy

Chef_Stef Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 5:08am
post #15 of 17

lol--thanks jess--I actually started typing the whole recipe (which describes the double-boiler step by step), but I got lazy and just left in the micro instructions....haha! icon_lol.gif Glad you mentioned it!

I should agree too--I haven't used it on a regular non-cheesecake cake, so listen to Jess on that part...

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 5:10am
post #16 of 17

homecook ... I thought I remembered the recipe talking about the double boiler, but then again, my memory does fail me often. icon_smile.gif Hope I didn't step on your toes ... I didn't mean to. icon_redface.gificon_smile.gif

Chef_Stef Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 3:15pm
post #17 of 17

Nope, I just hit the delete button and gave up typing all the d boiler instructions... icon_wink.gif ya done good. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%