Homemade Pies....

Lounge By Cake_Geek Updated 18 Sep 2006 , 5:35pm by Cake_Geek

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 11:34am
post #1 of 8

I had an interesting conversation with a woman who is a personal chef. She's coming to make dinner at my house Saturday as part of a gift cert DH and I won at auction. We got to talking about me making cakes as a hobby at home. She asked me if I made pies. I said I sure do for family every year, about this time. She asked if I was interested in making her 4 cherry and 4 apple pies to feed 50 people for a dinner she has next month. Of course I said sure!! I'm not so sure what to charge though. I am going to stop by a few places on my way home tonight and see what their bakeries charge for pie.

For the cherry pie, I have fresh cherries from my own cherry trees that I'd mix with some raspberries for a sweet/tart type flavor. For tops on both, I'll either do a crumb coat or a lattice top.

Any ideas/thoughts would be great!!

7 replies
Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 12:00pm
post #2 of 8

I can't help much but I like apple pie with crumb top and cherry pie with lace top.

Your cherry pie recipe sounds yummy!!!

As for pricing, I don't know. I'd do the same as you, look at bakeries prices first...

Keep us posted on the outcome!!!
thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 8

I think that's really hard because bakery pie is not nearly as good as homemade IMO and the crust on a homemade pie is worth more! Not to mention, providing that you are makingy our crust from scratch, it takes a while too..... and all the work with the apples, etc.... I would think $15 per pie but I have no clue what this lady wants to pay, ya' know? That's $120 -

Maybe I overprice but I don't see the point of giving the customers scrumptious homemade desserts made fresh for the same cost of a cheapie grocery store or Baker's Square pie... I'm sort of stubborn like that icon_lol.gif

Cake_Geek Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:06pm
post #4 of 8

I spoke with the caterer last night. I told her about 10$ a pie is what I thought would cover things. She said oh I could probably get you at least 15$ maybe 20$.

whoo hoo!! Yes ma'am... pies are coming your way!!!

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:15pm
post #5 of 8

Congrats to you and happy baking!!!!

Keep us posted on that!!!!

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

sugarfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarfreak Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 1:05am
post #6 of 8

That's great! Let us know how it all turns out.

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 8

I was thinking a $15 minimum charge. Homemade pies are expensive if you have to buy the ingredients and it takes some skills to get the crust just right!

Good luck, and happy baking!

Cake_Geek Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 5:35pm
post #8 of 8

I found out she got me 12$ per pie. I"m happy with that as pies are quite easy for me and there are only 2 varieties she asked for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%