Would You Bother Dowelling..........

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 12 Sep 2006 , 5:20pm by Sumer

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 8:47am
post #1 of 11

a 6in petal on top of a 9in petal? Bottom cake will be carrot cake (so nice & firm textured), top cake will be a chocolate cake - both from scratch, both covered in fondant. This is for my own birthday cake next week, so they don't have to be transported any further than from the kitchen to the dining room! They'll be finished the night before, so will sit stacked (in the fridge overnight because I have cream cheese filling for the carrot cake), for no more than 14 hours or so. Will they be alright without dowels? Your opinions please!

10 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:14am
post #2 of 11

I always dowel any tier cake, even the smallest one. You are making a carrot cake for the bottom, which is very moist, and structurally, not very sound. It may not be able to hold a smaller tier that is covered with fondant.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:43am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

a 6in petal on top of a 9in petal? Bottom cake will be carrot cake (so nice & firm textured), top cake will be a chocolate cake - both from scratch, both covered in fondant. This is for my own birthday cake next week, so they don't have to be transported any further than from the kitchen to the dining room! They'll be finished the night before, so will sit stacked (in the fridge overnight because I have cream cheese filling for the carrot cake), for no more than 14 hours or so. Will they be alright without dowels? Your opinions please!

Hm, dunno, it's a good oportunity to experiment i suppose, since it's your own. I always put boards and dowels or straws in all my tiered cakes. Even fruit cakes, and mudcakes, and they're heavy and firm.
cheers
Nati

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 10:07am
post #4 of 11

Thanks, I think I'll try the straw trick, never tried that before!

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 10:11am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Thanks, I think I'll try the straw trick, never tried that before!

Yeah i was pretty amazed that straws could hold anything up, but straws and boards works just as well as straws and boards.
Good luck
Nati
Oh yeah
Happy Birthday!!!

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 10:14am
post #6 of 11

I would definitely dowel it. Especially if you are going to refrigerate it overnight before you serve it, maybe if you were going to stack it just before you served it, you could risk it, but leaving it for any length of time might make the top tier sink into the bottom and then who knows what might happen.

You don't want your birthday cake looking all wonky!

Happy birthday by the way icon_smile.gif

cakeladywalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladywalker Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by franjmc

I would definitely dowel it. Especially if you are going to refrigerate it overnight before you serve it, maybe if you were going to stack it just before you served it, you could risk it, but leaving it for any length of time might make the top tier sink into the bottom and then who knows what might happen.

You don't want your birthday cake looking all wonky!

Happy birthday by the way icon_smile.gif

DITTO*!*!*!*! thumbs_up.gif

heavenlybakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlybakes Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 11

Oh Happy Birthday to you!!! I usually use straws as support - so far it has been ok with overnight chilling in the fridge. But I use buttercream and have never tried cream cheese yet...oh, and the straws that I use are the fat ones - the ones you can get from the Asian stores. They are more sturdy (and wider) than regular straws.

Chefgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefgirl Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 1:22pm
post #9 of 11

I always use straws and have never had a problem. It is so easy to do, too. I'm sure it will be fine. Happy Birthday!

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 11

Happy Birthday to you! And yes, I would use some support.

Sumer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sumer Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 5:20pm
post #11 of 11

I would dowel with something, either dowels or straws. I had a cake collapse (my own, thankfully)....not from the weight or from sitting, but someone started to cut the top tier and applied pressure. It ended up smashing the lower tier. It was all good, we laughed about it....but now, I put the "dowels" to every tiered cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%