How Do I Do The Draping Effect?

Decorating By doots53 Updated 11 Sep 2006 , 8:47am by Briarview

doots53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doots53 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:25am
post #1 of 4

I really want to do the draping on some of my cakes I think it looks so pretty and elegant? Tips, tricks, etc.! Thanks icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_smile.gif

3 replies
bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:00am
post #2 of 4

Roll out the fondant and cut to the size you want the drape.. the wider you make it the wider it will be finished. You might have to play with it a little to see what you want. Then use a long skewer and slowly slid it under the fondant, from one end to the other long ways. I usually do this three times, making three little hills. Then you pick it up and crimp the ends a bit holding it together as you put it on the cake. You can use a toothpick to hold it into place for a while. I hope that makes sense and helps. icon_smile.gif

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:09am
post #3 of 4

here is a link to a thread where someone also put instructions

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-37887-fondant.html+drap%2A

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 8:47am
post #4 of 4

When I make drapes I always add gum trag to my fondant and this makes the icing have more elasticity and it doesn't crack as easy. I usually roll it out quite thin and pick it up carefully and pinch the top end and place it onto the side of the cake trailling down and sought of bunch it to look like material as it would lie.
Have a look at my website and you will see my cascading drapes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%