Do You Tell Customers

Decorating By igurbisz Updated 18 Jul 2007 , 3:19pm by sweetbaker

igurbisz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
igurbisz Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 11:45am
post #1 of 13

Hi All,
I am new to cake decorating and have not yet made a stacked cake but I did make the puppy cake as my 1st time cake icon_biggrin.gif Anyway, was wondering if you tell customers about the extra stuff in the cakes (dowels, straws,wires) and do they have to dig out when cutting the cake?

12 replies
DebbyTCL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyTCL Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 13

Good Morning igurbisz,
When I deliver or they pick up the cake, I have a paper that goes with the cake telling them what is in their cake, directions on how to freeze any left overs (leftovers - hahahaha). Don't want anyone to bite into an unseen dowel, etc. and break a tooth. icon_cry.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 13

Yes, it's imperative that they know some kind of non-edible support is in the cake.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 13

I too give a sheet with whats inside. I also, place all my wooden dowels in hot pink straws, so that they are easily seen and so that the wood doesn't swell and the cake picks up none of the wood taste.

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 13

That is a great idea peg818. I will have to do that.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 13

peg818 - great idea with putting the dowels into the straws!

Debbie

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 13

Peg - me too

I give them a sheet telling them what will need to be removed before cutting/serving the cake. I also drop of the information when I deliver the cake.

igurbisz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
igurbisz Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:58pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks for your quick replies, do you ever get weird looks when they find out what is holding up the cakes icon_lol.gif

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by igurbisz

Thanks for your quick replies, do you ever get weird looks when they find out what is holding up the cakes icon_lol.gif

oddly enough everyone I have dealt with thus far, already knew about the cake supports. I too give a sheet telling them what is edible and non edible in the cake. I do not want to pay anyones dental bills, or worse yet hospital bills.

Peg...awesome idea!!I am going out to buy bright pink straws today.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 2:05pm
post #10 of 13

I don't make an issue about dowels or straws, but I definitely leave a note showing where any skewers or toothpicks are and warning them to remove before serving, since those can cause injury.

Sometimes I have to explain how to cut a 3D cake anyway and so they end up finding out where all the straws, dowels, and cardboard is while I explain how to cut it down in layers.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 2:17pm
post #11 of 13

These are great ideas! Thanks for posting.

I usually just tell people about dowels but I like the idea of a printed sheet.

Would anyone be willing to share the wording they use on the printed sheet as far as starting the explanation of what's not edible on or in the cake?

Thanks.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 2:40pm
post #12 of 13

Sounds like a great idea, because most of my customers think the cake is just floating by itself.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:19pm
post #13 of 13

Great idea Peg. I never liked the idea of sticking the dowels directly into the cake..thank goodness I haven't had to yet.

Elaine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%