Simple Question: Can I Freeze Mmf On The Cake?

Decorating By GI Updated 20 Jul 2007 , 4:15am by GI

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:08am
post #1 of 7

I'd like to decorate a cake with MMF & then freeze it later for a decorating contest next month. This is just for looks and it doesn't include taste. No eating will be done. I wish to make this cake project and it will take many of my dwindling free time.

So that is why I'd like to decorate the bulk of it now...while I can. Can anyone please tell me this answer? I don't believe condensation will be an issue. Also, Can I freeze the gumpaste? I was just planning to mold my gumpaste figures and then leave them out on counter, or wrap them, till the time to use them.

This is strictly to save time. Last year, I ran out of time.

Thank you all O Wize & Wonderful Cake Supreme Majesties!

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:23am
post #2 of 7

Does is have to be real cake? Normally decorating competitions require cake dummies.

Yes you could freeze the fondant, but you will need more time for the fondant to dry. Gumpaste should probably not be frozen. it will be fine, protected from dust, moisture and light, once it is completely dry.

good luck

GI Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 5:12am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

Does is have to be real cake? Normally decorating competitions require cake dummies.

Yes, its a real cake. I guess I meant, can I put the fondant on the cake and stick the whole thing in the freezer! (Might I add, it's hitting 100 deg here on out thru next month.) but the judging portion is done early in the morning the same day as the presentation.

thumbs_up.gif Thank you for the tips! I just wasn't sure & since my time is extremely limited, then I want to work on it whenever I can. I already have the cake baked, assembled, and crumb-coated and stuck in the freezer.

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 7

I have never tried it, but I don't believe that you can freeze MMF on a cake. When it defrosts, the MMF will sweat and get gooey.

GI Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:32am
post #5 of 7

Okay, thanks. I hadn't thought of the goo factor! icon_confused.gif I will do the gumpaste ahead of time.

Thanks guys! icon_lol.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 7

I did freeze part of a cake covered in MMF as an experiment. It was after the 4th of July last year, and the colors were USA red and blue - dark, rich colors - on white. I left it in the freezer for over a month wrapped in two layers of plastic wrap and two layers of foil. I took it out of the freezer and removed just the foil and let it start thawing. After an hour or so (before it started sweating), I took off the plastic wrap and didn't touch it for several hours. I had no melting, smearing, or bleeding of color at all - it was just like it was when I covered it. We even ate most of it - the texture of the cake (doctored mix) and fondant was fine. Don't know if I would do this for an important project, but....

GI Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:15am
post #7 of 7

It sounds like the key is wrapping solidly and then letting it mostly air-dry when pulled out of the freezer. I've baked/frosted/decorated lots of cakes, left them frozen for a couple months or longer, depending on if I forgot about them!...then took them to work for those last minute social obligations, and everyone always was amazed I'd "stayed up really late" baking & decorated! HA!!!

Thank you for your sage sound advice & the tip!!I might just attempt to freeze ahead of time! thumbs_up.gif

Thank you !!! Thank you!!! Thank you !!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%