Help Me Please!!!

Decorating By JoanneK Updated 11 Sep 2006 , 1:25am by JoanneK

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 7

I have to a little boys 1st birthday party coming up and need to find an airplane cake to do.

I want to do a 3D molded cake but am not sure I can do this.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this? Any photos of step by step directions????

I've never carved my own cake before and really have no idea what to do. Is it hard?

I have to make it a white cake. What receipe should I use? Just the normal white cake?

Thank you guys so much for all your help. I couldn't do it without you. You guys always know just the right thing to do.

Thanks again!

Joanne

6 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 7

I've seen the cross pan turned into a plane if that's any help?!

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 7

Try "No Time Party Cakes" by Carol Deacon. There is the easiest little aeroplane cake in this book that I'm sure you will manage to do no problem. If you are new to this then her instructions and simple methods will help make you feel that you have been doing it for years!

Good luck!

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 7

Hi JoAnne ~
First thing that came to my mind was to do a search in the galleries (look up top where there is a "galleries" tab). I looked under "birthdays" and "theme cakes/3D cakes" and then typed in the word airplane to find only airplane cakes. I found this one:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=airplane&cat=0&pos=7&search=airplane

I don't have much time to look right now for others but found that one. Also, if you like that one (or any one) you can send an e-mail to that member who made the cake. I wrote to someone about a beach cake that I liked and she said I can write to her with any questions I might have.

You can use any standard cake mix and depending on how much cake batter you need, use one mix or two, and can also extend it by adding a few other ingredients (found in the extender recipe on this site).

GOOD LUCK !!!
Suzanne

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 7

Here's another link showing how to do it using the cross pan:

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/add_pans/perfect.cfm

bjwelchjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjwelchjr Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 7

I recently did my first 3-d cake too! It was easier than I expected, but I did a really simple shape. Here's some tips. I used Ducan Hines cake mix and used the durable cake reciepe from this site. Then I filled and stacked the cakes the way I needed and froze the cake so that it was easier to carve(less crumbs and the cake holds together while you carve it). Next crumb coat it and then ice. I did put it back into the freezer for a few minutes after the crumb coat. For an airplame I would probably do 3 9X 13 cakes, use 2 of them stacked and filled to carve the body of the plane and then use the the third to make the wings of the plane. For the tail you will need to stack and carve it, make sure to use a dowel in the center to keep it attached. Make make a pattern for the wings so that you don't waste too much cake. You might also want to check the picture gallery to see if there are any example. HTH. GOOD LUCK! icon_biggrin.gif

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 1:25am
post #7 of 7

See I knew you guys would know what to do. Thanks for all the ideas.

I'm going to try to find that book No Time Party Cakes. That sounds like a good one to have.

Thanks for the step by step ideas too. I'm sure I will not be able to do anything as near as you guys but I will try and be sure to post the photo when I finish.

Joanne

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%