How Stupid Can I Be?!?!?!?!?!???!!!

Decorating By Letmebeurdesignr Updated 20 Jul 2007 , 9:06am by Verina

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:29am
post #1 of 22

I DID SOMETHING SOOOOOOO STUPID...I FEEL LIKE A TOTAL FOOL NOW..

I am taking course 2 and we had to make royal icing..well i made my cake and iced it w/the royal icing..was wondering why it wouldnt spread right and kept crusting..looked like he**...well went to class today and i was the only student that showed up (Thank God)..i asked my instructor why my icing wouldnt smooth and she looked at me like do what? i showed her and she said that i aint suppost to ice the cake w/royal icing..i looked at her like "do what"??? i didnt know it was just for decorations and couldnt be iced on the cake..i feel like a total fool/idiot/whatever you wanna call it...

i thought it was icing and should go on the cake..my instructor just thought it was funny...thank god for a great instructor..

21 replies
lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:33am
post #2 of 22

icon_surprised.gif LOL!!! icon_lol.gif That is so funny!!!

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:35am
post #3 of 22

You know what, the first time i made a wilton cake, i did that, it was so hard you could hardly cut it. Did your teacher tell you that? and no worries everyone else proble did the same thing and was ashamed to come to class. you are the strongest of all.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:37am
post #4 of 22

That's going to make a for a really good memory giggle years from now when you're an experienced cake decorator! icon_lol.gif Don't sweat it and enjoy the learning process. icon_smile.gif

S.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:37am
post #5 of 22

Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself! I always say you can laugh or cry and I pick laugh! That will make a great story someday.

baergarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baergarivera Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:46am
post #6 of 22

Letmebeurdesignr

don't worry. That is why they called it class you could make all the mistakes and that just makes you stonger at the end. heads up i made ALOT icon_cry.gif ALOT and thank you jesus i am in the process of opening my own bakery so don't worry. It get's better with time thumbs_up.gif

Good Luck and God Bless icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifusaribbon.gif

Letmebeurdesignr Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:54am
post #7 of 22

My instructor sat down w/me and took all my royal icing off my cake for me and i had taken buttercream so that she could show me how to do a certain kinda flower...she helped me w/covering it up w/the buttercream...she is such a great instructor..she goes over more than what she should and even gave me her phone number so i could call her if i needed help..she gave me that in course 1 though..

there was only 4 people that signed up for course 2....3 people came last week....and only me tonight..i wouldnt doubt im the only one for the rest of the classes..

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 2:10am
post #8 of 22

what a great instructor . that is awesome and think of how you will benift the one on one training. very cool.

caprica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caprica Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 2:30am
post #9 of 22

I really feel for you on this one... I still get confused about all the different types of frostings, etc... I need to take a class.
My first attempt at frosting was a DISASTER! I tried to use fat free margarine and it liquified... when I tried to pipe it out, it ran all over the carpet.

(it's fortunate your instructor was diplomatic - that's wonderful )

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:36am
post #10 of 22

Don't feel bad, my first special cake was for my DD's baptism. A half sheet cake with a frame of basketweave, lots of flowers and icing ribbons. I did the frame out of royal icing and it was murder to cut! Oops!

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:39pm
post #11 of 22

When I first started cake decorating, most of the books I could find were these old British books and they had these cakes that were fruitcakes, first covered in marzipan or almond paste and then covered in several thin coats of royal icing and sometimes sanded lightly between layers to get it perfectly smooth - I always wondered how the heck they cut it icon_confused.gif . I've got a friend from South Africa who says that royal icing was the only frosting they ever used to cover a wedding cake and then you basically had to use a jack hammer to get to the cake icon_lol.gif!

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:43pm
post #12 of 22

ok, clicked submit before I was finished icon_redface.gif anyhoo, don't feel foolish - you were just trying out some old school British style decorating icon_wink.gif

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:57pm
post #13 of 22

I bet the other 3 people didn't show up to class because they tried spreading their royal icing on their cake and decided it didn't look good enough to go to class with!!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 7:15pm
post #14 of 22

Best laugh of the week!

Letmebeurdesignr Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 10:39pm
post #15 of 22

roflmao lord knows im still laughing/aggrevated/crying at myself...couldnt believe after i found out that you didnt put icing on the cake...heck as far as i knew it was icing..didnt know any different..duhhhhhhh me..hahahhahahahaha

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:51am
post #16 of 22

We all do silly stuff like that we just don't all admit it. icon_lol.gif

mvhatteras Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvhatteras Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 6:07am
post #17 of 22

check with either your local health department or your agriculture department. here in nc most restaurants fall under the control of the health department while coffee houses and some food prep falls under agriculture. agriculture is sooooo much easier to deal with!!

i am originally from nj and i do remember they can be very strict!

mvhatteras Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvhatteras Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 6:09am
post #18 of 22

sorry about the post above - it was meant for another question. at least it is fitting for your title - "how stupid can you be?"

milliethemil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milliethemil Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 6:59am
post #19 of 22

No you're not stupid - sounds like no-one properly explained to you the uses of different icing and characteristics before you set off on your icing adventure.

I think there is nothing like some well taught theory before practice. North Americans on the whole not really understand RI! Not criticism just a fact I think.

LOL RI not have to be rock hard. We add glycerin to keep more soft & cut neatly.

As another poster said can ice a cake with RI but it is used on marzipan cover rich fruit cake. Is not suitable for soft cake preference of N Americans as RI needs a firm base.

Takes several layers to produce fine finish - first coat then 2/3 skim coats. some people sand start-finishing points to ensure finish flawless. I think it takes more skill than fondant but this is just my view. I miss ri.

lilytexas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilytexas Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 1:33pm
post #20 of 22

That is so funny!!! icon_lol.gif

have you ever heard "everybody does mistakes, everybody have those days" icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:04pm
post #21 of 22

For what it's worth, most cakes here in the UK are iced in two ways, either marzipan then sugar paste/fondant or marzipan then royal icing. There is thechnically nothing wrong with what you did and the cake would have still been edible.

June

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 9:06am
post #22 of 22

I saw Nigella Lawson (SA and UK CC's will know her - don't know about USA CC's) decorate cupcakes with RI. They looked delicious and she applied the icing VERY THICK. So I had to try them. They came out so nice (especially because I used real egg whites). Her instruction was, however, to not let the cupcakes stand forever and to eat it within 2-3 days - which we duly did and loved it! When it dried it became a matt colour and the fondant decorations made it look very professional. We eat it before I could take pictures, though! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%