Petal Dust

Decorating By maddyscreations Updated 18 Jul 2007 , 1:17pm by Fairytale

maddyscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddyscreations Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 8

I have used luster dust before on my fondant cakes but I have never used petal dust, I'm getting ready to add some color to gumpaste flowers do you paint the petal dust on or just dust them?

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 8

depends on the effect you want. Dust adds soft color, 'paint' is a much stronger color. I usually prefer the softness of dusts.

You can make the color softer by blending the plain dust with a small portion of cornstarch

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 12:49am
post #3 of 8

I agree. If you paint it, you'll get very strong colors and probably some streaking. If you dust it you get a nice soft color. There is a picture of a really UGLY cake in my albumI did where some of it was painted in petal dust. Easy to spot. Would never do that again.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=67344t.

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 12:53am
post #4 of 8

I wouldn't call it ugly - I think it looks fabulous! The variations in colour look like stained glass - great job!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:48am
post #5 of 8

fairytale if I might say....if that cake were ugly it wouldn't of been 50 peoples favs icon_biggrin.gif Very pretty cake!!!

Fairytale Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:51am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

fairytale if I might say....if that cake were ugly it wouldn't of been 50 peoples favs icon_biggrin.gif Very pretty cake!!!

Thanks. I think they were just being kind. It's probably the worst cake I've ever made. Althought it's posted here I don't even have a copy of it on my own computer. I suspect people were liking the concept rather than the execution. My painted Colette style cake is much better (althought I hate that too.) icon_lol.gif

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 8:12am
post #7 of 8

You really are very hard on yourself! I think your work is just lovely.

Fairytale Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:17pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCookie

You really are very hard on yourself! I think your work is just lovely.

Your very sweet. Yes, I'm a tough critic of my work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%