Does This Seem Pushy?

Decorating By laneym Updated 17 Jul 2007 , 11:35pm by nicolevoorhout

laneym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneym Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 11

My teenage son was recently invited to an 18th birthday party for a friend the middle of August. His parents are wonderful people and have always been very good to my son. Although I know them and we are friendly at sporting events, we aren't close friends. Would it be pushy or presumptive of me to call and offer (no charge) to do a cake of the Mom or sons choosing for the party? I am trying to get into the cake world and have been doing more and more (mostly for friends). I have takent he Wilton Courses and it is my dream.....(BIG dream) to have a business one day for catering and cakes. I just don't want to seem like I am being pushy and they may have already ordered a cake. Let me know what you think.....You guys always have the BEST advice!! icon_smile.gif Happy Baking!! Elaine

10 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 11

If you are offering for free, it would not be pushy to call and ask if she has already made plans for a cake.

If you expect to be paid, it might be pushy.

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 11

I would just say that you enjoy making cakes and if they would like you'd be happy to do one for her son. I agree, don't ask or accept payment. I think it would be taken as very kind and thoughtful that you want to do that. icon_biggrin.gif Good luck to you, you know this could get you some exposure. All my cake orders are by word of mouth and I wish people would shutup. lol

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 11

I think it's a great idea. I would just explain to the mom that it would give you pleasure to donate the cake as you are hoping to try different tecniques and you would like the practice etc. etc. Then maybe thro some ideas that you'd like to try and see what she thinks.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 11

I agree with JoAnnB. It's not like you are trying to sell her a cake and she would end up with a beautiful cake from you.

vjcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vjcreations Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 11

most definitely call and offer, it is a wonderful way to get your name out there and to get to try new and exciting techniques. I often offer to do (or try) something new on cakes for friends of my children. I always let the parent know that my feelings won't be hurt if they would rather not.

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 11

If you are offering your services for free, then I don't think you're being too pushy. Just let the mom know that you have this hobby and would like the extra practice - with the hopes of someday starting a business. But also, don't be disappointed if she says she already has plans for a cake.

I've offered to make birthday cakes for free for a few of my daughter's friends and everyone is always very appreciative. Just a note, if you're thinking about charging for cakes in the future it's hard to go from always "giving" them away to asking for money. I make cakes for friends and family for free. I charge friends of friends - but try to stay away from that because I don't want the stress and it's not legal for me to do it.

Good luck! Let us know what she says.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 11

it can be:

your way of thanking them for "always being wonderful" to your son

a way to make them close friends.

----

offer in spirit of friendship

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:39pm
post #9 of 11

Well put, Doug. Leave the hobby and practice parts out.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

laneym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneym Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 10:20pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks everyone for your great advice!! I am going to call later this evening and offer the cake. I just didn't want her to think I was some pushy thing. I really enjoy making cakes and can only make so many for practice that we have to eat AT HOME....althought my 16 year old son thinks that practice makes perfect!!!! I will let you know how it goes!!

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 11:35pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconrey

Just a note, if you're thinking about charging for cakes in the future it's hard to go from always "giving" them away to asking for money.

This is true, I'm quite lucky though, my family actually get upset with me if I try to buy presents in addition to the cake, their statement is the cake is the present. Which is true I suppose, and is easier to do with the adults, but it's hard not to buy my nieces and nephews gifts to unwrap also!! Naughty Aunty that I am!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%