Need Website Name

Business By SweetieD Updated 19 Jul 2007 , 6:25pm by Doug

SweetieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetieD Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 15

I hope some of you CCer's can help me! I was thinking of starting a website for my business. The business is Sweetie's Bakery but sweetiesbakery.com is taken icon_sad.gif . I was trying to think of other options but I'd really like it to have the biz name included. My 1st choice so far is sweeties-bakery.com. Do people get confused when there are hyphens? Please help me find something. TIA

14 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 15

here's info on that domain name you want:

note it is about to expire

it is a "parked domain" -- meaning it's just being held and use an advertising page at the moment.

take a peek at it and you'll see what I mean -- lots of domain registration companies will hold domains open like this and then sell them.

you may want to contact the owner (a domain registration service) to see if you can buy that name!!

The data in Register.com's WHOIS database is provided to you by
Register.com for information purposes only, that is, to assist you in
obtaining information about or related to a domain name registration
record. Register.com makes this information available "as is," and
does not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a WHOIS query, you
agree that you will use this data only for lawful purposes and that,
under no circumstances will you use this data to: (1) allow, enable,
or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited, commercial
advertising or solicitations via direct mail, electronic mail, or by
telephone; or (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes
that apply to Register.com (or its systems). The compilation,
repackaging, dissemination or other use of this data is expressly
prohibited without the prior written consent of Register.com.
Register.com reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.
By submitting this query, you agree to abide by these terms.

Registrant:
Domain Discreet
ATTN: sweetiesbakery.com
P.O. Box 278
Yarmouth, NS B5A 4B2
CA
Email: [email protected]

Registrar Name....: REGISTER.COM, INC.
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: www.register.com

Domain Name: sweetiesbakery.com

Created on..............: Wed, Sep 08, 2004
Expires on..............: Sat, Sep 08, 2007
Record last updated on..: Fri, Jul 06, 2007

Administrative Contact:
Domain Discreet
P.O. Box 278
Yarmouth, NS B5A 4B2
CA
Phone: 1-902-7495331

Technical Contact:
Domain Discreet
P.O. Box 278
Yarmouth, NS B5A 4B2
CA
Phone: 1-902-7495331

SweetieD Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 15

Doug-Thanks for getting back so quick! I actually looked that stuf up too. I'm nervous about dealing with someone like that. Why should I have to pay for the name? That's the only reason that company has it as far as I can tell. Plus, I already have to pay for service from godaddy or yahoo or something. Has anyone else had an experience buying a name? I just hate to get messed with by a place like that and I wanted to do it a safe way. I'm such a wuss!

ibteana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibteana Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 15

On Go Daddy, I think you can do a backorder on the name. It looks like it expires Sep. 7, 2007.

Doug Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 15

you always have to pay some sort of name registration fee no matter where - unless they do some kind of package deal like the free reg if you sign a two year contract for us to host your site (think like free cell phone for 2-year contract)

and since is does expire in just two months -- see if you can't reserve it in advance.

and do call them -- it just may be it will only cost you the registration fee.

nothing ventured -- nothing gained

Doug Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 15

you always have to pay some sort of name registration fee no matter where - unless they do some kind of package deal like the free reg if you sign a two year contract for us to host your site (think like free cell phone for 2-year contract)

and since is does expire in just two months -- see if you can't reserve it in advance.

and do call them -- it just may be it will only cost you the registration fee.

nothing ventured -- nothing gained

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 15

Well we have been trying to come up with a website name for my dads business IronArt and that had already been taken so we made it IronArtNZ could you put something like that on yours have the same name but add in the country thing or area thing? just a thought. also it would define you as in where you are anrrowing it down for people who maybe looking for you.

SweetieD Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks everyone for all the help. I e-mailed that company so, we'll see what they have to say about it. I also thought about adding my state abbreviation but I would definitely like to have the one already registered. Hopefully they wil sell it cheap! Any other ideas?

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 9:10pm
post #9 of 15

The domain that I first wanted was owned by another company that godaddy owned. It was parked. Godaddy sells their domains for less than $20...the other company wanted over $100 for the domain name! Nope, sorry! I just changed the domain a little to suit what i needed! There's no way I was paying a company that godaddy owned and had it parked an outrageous price! I wonder if the cheaper companines own other smaller compaines, and park the names that they think may be popular. Sorry, I'll get off my little rant. I just know how annoying it is when your name is parked!

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 9:27am
post #10 of 15

sweetiesbakery.org and sweetiesbakery.net are both open. At least, they were when I did a search for them.

Good luck!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:28pm
post #11 of 15

My company name was taken too.. it wasn't when I first looked, but I waited too long.. that's a whole other rant though.. icon_wink.gif . So I just changed it up a little. Thewelldressedcake.org/.biz/.net were available, but I really wanted a .com.. it's the first ending that everyone thinks of so I didn't want to make it a pain for a customer. So I settled on welldressedcakes.com. It's just parked for now while we develop the site. So maybe you could find a way to tweak it a little. They have mysweetiesbakery.com, thesweetiesbakery.com, sweetiesbakeryonline.com, there are plenty of options.. don't fret too much. And I'd find out what they want for it.. you never know.. maybe it won't be crazy.. and if you really want it.. it could be worth it.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:40pm
post #12 of 15

must be a popular name...just had a bakery open a few months ago called Sweetie's! i would just go with the .org or net like someone else suggested...or maybe you'll get lucky and get a good response from the bakery you emailed.

peytonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peytonsmommy Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:10pm
post #13 of 15

I had the same issue w/ mine, so I just went w/ the .net instead of the .com. So far nobody has had a problem finding me. I make sure to point out the .net when I hand them the card too.

SweetieD Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 6:21pm
post #14 of 15

I have not received an e-mail back from the domain holder yet. I really would like to use that one but I am only going to wait a little longer for their response. If they want over $20 I would really have to think about it. I definitely want a .com though.

What does everyone think about sweeties-bakery.com? Does the hyphen throw you off? Would it be confusing? I think that is my number 2 choice.

Doug Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 6:25pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetieD

I have not received an e-mail back from the domain holder yet. I really would like to use that one but I am only going to wait a little longer for their response. If they want over $20 I would really have to think about it. I definitely want a .com though.

What does everyone think about sweeties-bakery.com? Does the hyphen throw you off? Would it be confusing? I think that is my number 2 choice.

considering how much email a place like that gets --- well could talk a LONG while --- PHONE is faster.

and the hyphen is not confusing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%