Knife Vs Leveler

Decorating By queenamy Updated 13 Sep 2006 , 6:49am by cakesbykitty

queenamy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenamy Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 7:22am
post #1 of 29

Which do you find easier to use?

I never used a leveler, i've tried.. but I just cant.

I find it so much easier using a knife and hand thumbs_up.gif

28 replies
cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 7:45am
post #2 of 29

I use a leveler.
I've tried so many times with a knife and always had an uneven cake. I would love to be able to use a knife but it just won't work for me.

dinkadoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinkadoo Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 7:57am
post #3 of 29

I couldn't do it without my agbay leveler. icon_sad.gif

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 11:46am
post #4 of 29

I have my Mum's old old bread knife, does a great job thumbs_up.gif Plus we can't get the leveller here icon_cry.gif

kidscakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidscakelady Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 11:57am
post #5 of 29

I used to use a knife and my cakes were never perfectly level. Mygirls got me a large leveler for my birhtday. I will NEVER use a knife again! My cakes look so much better now. icon_smile.gif

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 11:59am
post #6 of 29

To level - knife. But, to torte - leveler.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 29

I use a bread knife, out of necessity. I've never used nor do I own, a leveler. I've always though one would be a nice thing to have. It looks so straight forward. But, Queenamy said she couldn't get it to work for her. What are the problems you encounter using a leveler? I have one on my wish list, and if the problems outweigh the simplicity, it's gotta go. Thanks for your help, one and all.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 29

I can level and torte a cake in about 30 seconds using a leveler, and it comes out exactly the same every time. It makes my layers 100% equal in size every time.

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 12:22pm
post #9 of 29

I have done both, recently got the wilton large leveler and it worked great, so no more knife. icon_smile.gif Makes things so much easier.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 12:24pm
post #10 of 29

I was fine with a bread knife on smaller cakes but couldn't get a level cut on larger cakes. I have the Wilton leveler that was ok but I love my Agbay! I just got it a month or so and it saves time and temper!

Debbie

ninas09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninas09 Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 12:25pm
post #11 of 29

I too use a leveler and haven't really come across a problem with it. However, someone on this site suggested inserting toothpicks in each level so when you take the cake layers off then go to put them back on, you just line the toothpicks up and the cake stays level.

lapazlady Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 12:29pm
post #12 of 29

I don't know if I'm better informed or not. I see why there could be trouble using a leveler for the crown on a cake, but JMT1714 says she has used it for both and was very pleased with the results. Since I love gadgets and don't really mind, too much, playing around, with both good and bad results, I'll leave it on my wish list for the next shopping trip to the US. And we'll see how it goes. thumbs_up.gif

3tiers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3tiers Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 12:29pm
post #13 of 29

Another vote for the agbay leveler. I have had mine for about a year, and I can't imagine using anything else.

lapazlady Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 4:20pm
post #14 of 29

It sounds like the agbay leveler is the one to get. I'll look for a supplier and put it on the wish list. Thank you everyone for replying.

jwm296 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwm296 Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 4:36pm
post #15 of 29

I use the large wilton leveler to both level and torte. My wife has me level her cakes but then uses a piece of dental floss to torte hers. I guess it's all depends what your comfortable with.

dinkadoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinkadoo Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 7:20pm
post #16 of 29

As far as the cons of an agbay leveler.....in my opinion and experience....it has none. LOVE IT

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 12:54pm
post #17 of 29

I used my agbay last night while company was over and they were joking about the warning on it about it being sharp - after I leveled the cakes they said "wow! it really is sharp isn't it!".

Debbie

CinWoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CinWoo Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:50pm
post #18 of 29

Agbay is the only way to go!

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 3:02pm
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenamy

Which do you find easier to use?

I never used a leveler, i've tried.. but I just cant.

I find it so much easier using a knife and hand thumbs_up.gif

I use a serrated knife, a set of acrylic rulers, and strong cotton.
Perfect layers *most* of the time : )

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 5:17pm
post #20 of 29

Gotta go with the AGBAY leveler. Pricey but soooo worth it! I am contemplating turning my wilton leveler into some sort of sculpture, maybe it might be useful then.

tcvillegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcvillegas Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 4:15pm
post #21 of 29

My Wilton cake leveler does wonders for me. My hands get shaky so the leveler works well for me.

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 8:31pm
post #22 of 29

Okay, after hearing about this "Agbay Leveler" I must say I'm not familiar w/ it. Anyone care to post a pic, or link a site that will give more info? icon_cool.gif\\

Disregard request...WOW...they're PRICEY!!!!!!!! icon_eek.gif

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 8:40pm
post #23 of 29

I can't cut a straight line to save my life! I always use a leveler. What is an Agbay and where do you get it? I would like to see one for comparrison.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 8:42pm
post #24 of 29

I love the wilton levelers, both. You have to remember when using them you need to saw the cake and move the cake around with the leveler (the small one) not needed with the blade one. But I would not give either up. Agbay is way too pricey for me right now. usaribbon.gifthumbs_up.gif

Cakers84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakers84 Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 10:08pm
post #25 of 29

I use what ever is handy, leveler or kinfe for cake tops, and only the leveler for torting.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 5:13am
post #26 of 29

I bought a long very sharp serrated knife. On a large cake, I put the cake on my shallow turntable the trim and turn, set my hand on the table and find where I want to cut, I do not move my hand from that spot, I turn the table with my other hand and it seems to work for me in leveling. I use the small leveler for cakes torted under 10 inches.

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 5:17am
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

What is an Agbay and where do you get it? I would like to see one for comparrison.

Go to www.agbayproducts.com even has a video to show it in action

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 6:39am
post #28 of 29

Wow! Holy crap, those things are pretty slick! But way expensive icon_sad.gif ! You should see the one we use @ Costco. It is electric. We only do 1/2 sheets, so it has a tray that the cake sits perfectly in. You push the button on the motor and slide the tray through the slicer. The blade saws back and forth automatically and poof, a perfect torte! Those are like $2000! But, hey, it sees 500+ cakes a week, so it needs to be rugged.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 6:49am
post #29 of 29

i have both of wiltons levelers (large and small). the small i can manage but the one time i tried to use the large one it totally screwed up my cake! it went down not across and ended up hitting the counter!!!!!!!!!!! what did i do wrong????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%