Grandparents Day????

Decorating By peacockplace Updated 9 Sep 2006 , 4:14am by sweetcreation

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 11

Ok. This is my first year having a child in school. His kindergarten class is having a special treat for the grandparents and I have to bring something. Naturally, I'd like to a cake or cupcakes. How do I make something to wow the other moms (who don't know I do cakes) with a grandparents day theme. Is this a new holiday?

10 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 11

Oh crap, did I forget it again? Is it this weekend? I am done for....... icon_surprised.gif

I would make some cupcakes or something.... you can always deck them out to look fancy. This holiday has been around for a long time because I have been getting chewed out for years for forgetting it icon_cry.gif

sweetcreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreation Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 11

Brief history found at:
http://www.grandparents-day.com/short_ver.htm

It was passed in 1978 and was to be the first Sunday after "labor day". September was chosen to signify the "autumn years of life".

So, you could make a family tree or a cupcake cake with large colorful leaves with branchs and a trunk base. Then, have the names of grandma, grandpa, mother, father (mom and dad), sister, brother, aunt, uncle, etc. to show the family line from grandparents. Have both sides of family.

Just an idea. Hope that helps. It is not anticipated as well as Mother or Father's Day is.

peacockplace Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 12:49am
post #4 of 11

I like the family tree idea! Thanks... does anyone else have any ideas? I know we never celebrated GP day when I was growing up. I've just noticed over the past few years that they do stuff for it in school.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 1:01am
post #5 of 11

what if you made a bunch of little cupcakes out of the mini wondermold pan and made them all look like little tea cups?? that would definitely wow anyone in the room.......would be a ton of work though......and make the teacher a special little teapot cake for herself or something.

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 1:06am
post #6 of 11

I don't think we have grandparents day here so I'm not sure what is the norm but if you did cupcakes what about icing them in a skin colour and making the top of the cupcake into a simple face 1/2 of them could be kids the other 1/2 could be grandmas and grandpas just pipe some grey hair on the grandparents and coloured hair on the kids.

peacockplace Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 2:00am
post #7 of 11

Do any of you have any pictures of "grandparenty" looking cupcakes? I mean cupcakes that look like grandparents.

ozcake Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 2:43am
post #8 of 11

Only in my head originally icon_wink.gif but I have drawn a picture just pipe squiggles for hair for g'ma and zigzags or strokes for g'pas you could make them fancier if you wanted to.

ozcake Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 2:47am
post #9 of 11

picture didn't come up will try again
LL

ozcake Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 2:56am
post #10 of 11

oh by the way not sure if you can tell from the pic but that thing under grandpa's nose is meant to be a moustache not his mouth

hth icon_smile.gif

sweetcreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreation Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 4:14am
post #11 of 11

the wilton 2006 yearbook has grandma and grandpa candy on a stick that are really cute. If you have that yearbook, you could use the faces from that as an example to put on your cupcake. They are pictured with bi-focals, I believe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%