How Do You Frost A Cake To Look Fluffy?

Decorating By Bubbles Updated 30 Jun 2005 , 1:04pm by Bubbles

Bubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbles Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 15

Hi - I am new to this board and hope you guys can help. I have been asked to make a wedding cake, which I have done before. But I have never had to frost a cake to make it look fluffy. Any ideas? I have attached a pictue icon_confused.gif

14 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 15

I don't see the attached pic?

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 15

Welcome to Cakecentral! Sorry...I can't see a picture either! However, if you want a fluffy appearance, how about using a dream whip or whipped cream like icing?

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 15

1 cup milk
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

To Make Icing: In a saucepan, combine the milk and 5 tablespoons flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Set aside to cool completely. Cream together butter, 1 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla until light and fluffy, then stir in the cooled milk and flour mixture, beating until icing reaches spreading consistency.This one is listed here...under red velvet cake 1....I love this icing

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 15

Forgive me, but I'm assuming that you don't necessarily want a fluffier icing, but want to make it look fluffy........ for that you use the back of a tea or table spoon and you move it in a swirly type pattern,

Debbi

Bubbles Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 15

I thought I attached the picture, so I don't know what happened there. Like I said, I am new to the board and probably have no idea what I am doing. Thanks for all the quick responses.

The bride wants buttercream, but to have a fluffy look. So I will practice with the spoon idea and try to give it a swirly look.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 15

Wow, that is a different request! We've been all about trying to get our cakes smooth!

I think the suggestion about the spoon to make swirls is about all I could suggest too, probably need to make the icing a pretty thick layer so you can really dip into it! Janice

Bubbles Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 15

It is a little different, but the picture is so pretty. I hope mine comes out that good. I wish I could figure out how to attach the picture to show all of you.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 15

Yep, I think you guys are right..lol..all I was thinking was texture..taste...fluffy..not LOOKING fluffy ..also the icing I was talking about wouldnt hold up to much!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 15

How to make the icing look fluffy? Hhmn, do you have a cat handy, haha!
I use a spatula to get that effect, just the regular icing spatula, only you put your icing on a bit thicker and swirl away. I am sure you will do fine!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Bubbles Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 15

Why yes I actually have 2 cats. But I don't think the bride would appreciate black cat hair on her pretty white cake. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the vote of Confidence. I will have to practice on a cake this week.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 7:30pm
post #12 of 15

After I put the icing on fairly thick...I use a tablespoon and press down with some pressure and give it a swirl....then I move over where the swirl left off and make another one...do this randomly and not in a row....and you will have a nice fluffy, yummy looking cake..
cakegal

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 1:25am
post #13 of 15

Heehee, well, black and white are in vogue!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

wandy27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandy27 Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 1:56am
post #14 of 15

Check this page out, maybe you'll find some ideas there...

http://www.baking911.com/decorating/easy_designs.htm

Wandy

Bubbles Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 1:04pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks everyone for all of your ideas and encoragement. I practiced last night on a cake I was making for someone else, and think I will use the back of a serving spoon and swirl it. It was much easier than I thought it was going to be. I didn't even need the help of the cats.

Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%