Why Is That Duff Calling Those Styrofoam Birds "cakes&q

Lounge By Theav Updated 11 Sep 2006 , 11:25pm by candy177

Theav Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theav Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 2:52am
post #1 of 56

Watching ace of cakes, wondering why he is calling those birds cakes. They are sculptures not cake.

55 replies
DanielleMakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanielleMakesCakes Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 2:57am
post #2 of 56

i was thinking the same thing. i think its because its made of fondant...but i dont belive he could make those entirely out of cake anyway

Aztec9206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aztec9206 Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 2:58am
post #3 of 56

I'm watching also....I'm thinking there's cake in there somewhere....or did I miss that part?

Keep on Baking....

Cindy

DanielleMakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanielleMakesCakes Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:01am
post #4 of 56

it was all styrofome and metal. he said it had to be on display for a while so there is no cake....so how that fits into the cake category...i dunno. it was still pretty cool.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:03am
post #5 of 56

I guess that would be no different than putting dummies out on display or photographing dummies? I dont know as I had to DVR the show since football is on.....

Theav Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theav Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:04am
post #6 of 56

So I guess it is supposed to be a "dummy cake", I guess.

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:07am
post #7 of 56

It was all styrofoam, but my goodness that still takes some serious talent! I thought it was pretty awesome.

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:07am
post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theav

So I guess it is supposed to be a "dummy cake", I guess.

That's what I thought. He was serving real cake from his table at the party. It was to show his skill and creativity but he said it had to be out of styrofoam because it would be on display for a year. He was then handing out samples of his cake so everyone could taste his cake too.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:14am
post #9 of 56

I suppose people were assuming they were real cakes.I'm sure he could have made the body's out of cake if asked to....

adven68 Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:19am
post #10 of 56

I have something else to add about Goef's dome.....twice they mentioned how hard it was going to be to serve because it was so tall. It seemed to me like they had an "oh, well" attitude towards it.

They could have made two cakes and stacked them, making it very easy for the servers at the wedding. Why do you suppose they didn't?

mkerton Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:22am
post #11 of 56

now I really can't wait to see it.....

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:23am
post #12 of 56

icon_biggrin.gif
i tough it was so funny when they went to all that hard job of delivering those birds jajajaja it was cool but..i have to admitt....
i liked to the part of making the dome ...of washington dc capital? whatever it was? icon_confused.gif it was cool how they made the shape inside before they put the fondant with chocolate so it will be harder cool good idea.....did not like at all those cupcakes! icon_eek.gif it really did not match with Duff job... icon_confused.gif they were so i dont know messy ... i think that it is what Duff tried to say but he couldnt that it is hard to work with somebody else cause you dont know what is going to happen .....I think he saw those cupcakes from the other guy...and said all this work to mix it with this/... icon_eek.gif
jjajaajajj

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:46am
post #13 of 56

I liked the sock monkeys.

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 6:28am
post #14 of 56

They probably called it a cake out of habit... when you make 25 cakes a week (or so) than you get in the habit of talking about everything as cake.

As for it not being their problem - you do the best you can and that's all you can do. Could you tell the direct construction of the cake? I couldn't tell if there was one or two or 3 layers to it. I know, however, that the work they do out of that bakery is amazingly high quality and that the bride and groom couldn't get that cake with that much detail very many other places.

ediecooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ediecooks Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 12:38pm
post #15 of 56

I think the Capital Dome was ok, not at all saying i could do better but if i were paying Duff prices for my wedding cake, i'd want to be WOWED and i don't think that cake gave the visual impact of other cakes.

re the cupcakes...that very natural, messy look is the signature look of Cake Love...he's not into the whole highly decorated, stylized fondant cake. He's more about taste. Given the choice, i'd rather eat one of his cakes than pretty much any fondant covered flight of fancy.

Also, it was a slightly lame cross-show tie-in to have the Cake Love guy and Duff work together.

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 12:49pm
post #16 of 56

Does the Food Network even have Sugar Rush on anymore?

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 1:02pm
post #17 of 56

Warren's cupcakes were messy, but I have to say I really wanted to eat one! They looked amazingly delicious. I liked the capital dome. I think they did a good job with the time contraints given. When doing a styrofoam cake, one has all the time in the world, and no worries about spoilage. But when we get those elaborate orders on real cake, we head to the races to get it done and sometimes lose a little on the detail.
MY hub and I were going crazy over the fist of rock. How fun!!!
I really like the show...entertaining.

FancyLayne23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FancyLayne23 Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 1:12pm
post #18 of 56

Sugar Rush will be coming back on Mid-October. It's one of my favs on the Food Network. Can't wait to watch that.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 1:39pm
post #19 of 56

I thought the dome looked great! As for ease of cutting - he gave them what they asked for and easy cutting doesn't always work. The bride even said something about not knowing how they would cut it but she liked the cake. Loved the sock monkeys!

I thought the cupcakes were sloppy. I hope they tasted better than they looked!

The flamingos bodies could have easily been done in cake. They were just supposed to be a display so they used styrofoam.

I like the show. It gives me hope! When I see fondant tearing, trouble placing the top tier without messing up the icing/fondant or transportation problems and they still get it done - it makes me feel better! I know it's not just me!

Debbie

mkerton Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 1:45pm
post #20 of 56

I finally got to watch the show...and I thought it was great...the cupcakes were messy but after having seen Warren Brown on Food Network before, I would eat ANYTHING that guy put in front of me.....his stuff always looks soooo good. I thought the capital cake was really good (although as a wedding cake with the cupcakes I didnt think it was the coolest look ever)....and I am with Debbie, seeing them have little difficulties gives me hope.

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 2:05pm
post #21 of 56

Has anyone ever noticed that they are not so, how should I say, delicate with the cakes and the fondant.

They pretty much throw this stuff around and rough house with it like it is not going to tare or break.

I am in my kitchen trying not to even walk to hard on the floor and that is after the cakes are done and cooled with a crumb coat on them.

I think I am being to "prissy" with them. They don't seem to be as fragile as I try to make them out to be. Especailly when you see them just throw them in the back of a van and drive 90mph.

Does anyone else find themselves doing to same thing?

Ladiva

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 2:26pm
post #22 of 56

I loved the episode last night! icon_biggrin.gif

Like others have mentioned, it makes me feel a little better about someone who does cakes for a living having problems just like we "little" people! And, it's like a kinship to actually SEE what we go through happening on TV! I have also gotten some good ideas on different ways to accomplish certain looks - like the dome cake - I liked the idea of doing something under the fondant to get that look, besides doing a lot of carving. The "Fist of Rock" was awesome! Even with the thing being too tall - they found a way to get it to work and that gives me lots of hope for all the little "oops" that occur in my kitchen!

As far as the flamingos not being cake, in my opinion it is still a cake sculpture, just like dummy wedding cakes. And considering that the thing is going to be displayed (I think I heard for a year maybe??) real cake was not an option.

I laughed at the part where Mary Alice was talking about Duff being stressed - just like my DH saying I'm in my "zone" when doing cakes - kinda like being zoned out I guess - the only thing I care about at that particular moment is THE CAKE! haha! Can't wait for the next show! icon_biggrin.gif

Marilyn

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 2:44pm
post #23 of 56

I missed the show last night...I was working on a cake and zone out everything around me. I hope to catch a repeat. It sounded like a good one.

mkerton Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 2:49pm
post #24 of 56

Marilyn...I am with you I liked when Mary Alice was talking about Duff being stressed...reminds me of any project my hubby and I have tried to do together...and I love the lists and notes she gives Duff...those were cracking me up.....my hubby is a list sort of guy and I never wanna see one!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 2:54pm
post #25 of 56

Well here is my two cents. I watched this show in between creating a cake on the fly - after putting in many hours of overtime at the office......so in other words, I am kind of loopy:

Why didn't they rent a moving truck? One of those 29.00 dollars a day jobbers? It would have enough room and would be tall enough. Also, I have noticed they have delivery issues all the time; wouldnt it be better for Charm City as a business to think creatively also?????? Since I have been immersed with creative societies working in studio atmospheres - it just surprises me they can't think outside the box on normal deliver procedures? You can be creative but for crying out loud, bring it into all avenues of a business. If I were a client and watching this, I would wonder if they could get my cake to me, undamaged and in a timely fashion.This company as a whole just does not give me a lot of hope!

Now back to sleeping on the job..... icon_lol.gif

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 2:59pm
post #26 of 56

I love, love, love everything about this show! The powers that be, (at FoodNetwork) would be fools if they don't keep this show. Any book deals in the making? - I hope so!

Warren Brown (cupcake maker) is known for what inside the cake and not decoration - he said that on his 1st show (SugarRush), so I thought it was a perfect match.

mkerton Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:00pm
post #27 of 56

I thought of that too tiptop, however seems like it wasnt thought of until delivery time and then it was 2 hours until it needed to be there...renting a truck at that point may well have made them late....I just saw it the same way as some of the silly things I have done...you know realize the kitchen is getting really warm cause I forgot I left the oven on (even though the cake has been out of it for 60 minutes or so)....etc.... what seems so obvious to us looking in, is easily overlooked when they are doing about a hundred different things

adven68 Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:00pm
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsright41401

As for it not being their problem - you do the best you can and that's all you can do. Could you tell the direct construction of the cake? I couldn't tell if there was one or two or 3 layers to it.

I'm am going by what Goef himself said about cutting the cake.

rshippo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rshippo Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:02pm
post #29 of 56

Hi I love this show. It is great to see the ideas that they have and how they go about putting it together. Ladivacrj fondant isn't that delicate, i also thing of it like playdoh you can eat. just make your figurines just like you would with playdoh. The main thing I find you need to be careful with is icing the cake then after that a firm and steady hand works well.

The capital building cake was cool. As for cutting any good reception hall staff should know what they are doing. Most big places if they have a pastry department make the pastry chefs stay to cut the cake. I know the hotel I worked out used to do that. I have cut more wedding cakes than most. sometimes upto 4 on a saturday night.

I loved the flamingos they looked great. Anything that is going to be on display for a year needs to be fake.

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:08pm
post #30 of 56

I am always watching with the kids running about since I DVR it an dI have to say that my feeble brain gets lost, like this, I saw that the Flamingos looked like styrafoam but I thought surely there were cake flamingos somewhere, I am a slow brain tvshow person and I get lost sometimes as to what they are doing. I am sure it is just me, but they move throught things so fast and I am just plain lost half the time! lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%