I Broke The Cake And I Can Cry If I Want To. Long

Decorating By LauraS Updated 20 Jul 2007 , 4:34pm by DuckyChickenLady

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 15

OK let me tell you, this is my pity party and darn it i earned it.

it all started last Tuesday when a friend fiancées called and asked if i could make a wedding cake for this weekend. I said sure I did not have any other cakes to make, plenty of time. she told me she wanted a marscapone & lemon curd frosting ( never again will i try this one in the summer) and Citrus pound cake. I spent three days finding recipes and yesterday i made the pound cakes, set up everything to make the frosting this morning. as i am starting this morning my dh calls me, the brakes went on his truck. (ok this means phone calls to get help,while i continued to work) well the frosting would not set for anything. So I final get the cake to look somewhat ok.I got to deliver it. I had made a couple of cupcakes for them to try before the cake was served later. Needless to say my day was bad before it became much worse.He hated the taste of the cake and the cake was way to small. the solution was for me to go and make a sheet cake and bring it back before the wedding. well ok, i feel horrible aobut all this. I
go and make a double sheet cake, let me tell you the frosting would not set no matter what i did, it tastes great, but it was just to hot. well with the help from my sister and husband i make this Citrus cake with Lemon curd and Marscapone filling with a butter cream frosting, it was to hot, ( no time for the cake to totally cool down even with being in the freezer. I have the a/c cranked up in the car and i had out to get it there. well lets just say it will cost me at least sixty dollars to get the back cleaned from all the frosting the top layer ( even with Dowels) slid right off a crossed the middle of my car. I was in tears in the parking lot. ok five minutes to come up with a solution to make this better. well I went up stairs checked the first cake. looked ok, then i went to stop & shop picked up Cannolini , Éclairs , ital italan wedding cookies and black and whites. called my boss, stopped at the restaurant and grabbed a serving platter and when back to the ball room. I explained to the bride what happened, she told me how her sister had just offered to go and get a caravel frozen cake ( as if i don't already feel really bad) I apologized a ton of times. icon_cry.gif I think i am going to go to bed and sleep and forget that today even happened.
Thank You for just listening. Laura

14 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 15

Let me get this, they order a wedding cake one week before the event, And have the nerve to
b@!$h about the taste. He would have been waring that cake. Especially in the mood I'm in today.

Here's to hoping your day gets better.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 15

Yah, Laura, dont beat yourself up over it. Being that they gave you only a week and couldnt do a tasting I would of told them too bad, thats what you picked! And then going through all that trouble to tell you they were going to get a cake from Carvel? I think after the day you had I would of punched him! You did everything in your power and next time maybe they should plan a wedding the right way instead of a shotgun one!!

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:22am
post #4 of 15

OMG! SOME NERVE!!!! They want a big wedding cake days before the wedding and then want to complain about the size and taste???? Give me a break. They are lucky they even got (what I am sure was a lovely cake) from you!

You should not feel bad at all and you went above and beyond what you needed to do to help them out.

Ashlee

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:14am
post #5 of 15

Next time don't be nice and just say NO! I feel so bad for you. You were just trying to help out and the poop heads didn't appreciate it.

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:21am
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

the poop heads didn't appreciate it.

Too funny!! thumbs_up.gif

Next time you should give the groom a cupcake and tell him to sick it where the sun don't shine!!! LOL

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:23am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

poop heads

That just gave me the giggles! Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

LauraS, I'm so sorry this happened... they'll get over it though.

JenniferL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferL Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:27am
post #8 of 15

Bless your heart... don't get discouraged! They should have been more understanding about the size and taste considering that YOU were doing THEM a favor by doing their cake at the last minute. It sounds like you attempted to go above and beyond and they should have respected that!

pmw109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmw109 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:28am
post #9 of 15

I'm sorry you had to go thru all that. You went way above and beyond to give them what they wanted and even came up with a back up solution when the sheet cake didn't work out. Did they bother to tell you how many people they needed the cake for since they said it was too small? I will never take a last minute wedding cake order and this is one of the reasons. Just remember this situation next time someone asks you for a last minute wedding cake. People have some nerve.

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:32am
post #10 of 15

LauraS, it sounds like you need a glass of wine (or drink of choice), a bath and a good book. Ugh, I'm so sorry this happened! I can understand about being upset that the cake broke apart in the car - that sucks. But, who orders a wedding cake a week before the wedding, and then has the nerve to complain that they don't like the taste, being that's what they asked for? And if it was too small, did they not tell you how many people were attending? Best thing to do with this guy - forget him and move on. You did your best, more than your best, and the person going to get a caravel cake should be shot! Or better yet, the person that brought it up - you're obviously having a bad day, let's just make it worse by saying someone's going to get an ice cream cake. People are so rude! Hang in there! Many hugs coming your way!! thumbs_up.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:44am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckySue

Quote:
Quote:

the poop heads didn't appreciate it.

Too funny!! thumbs_up.gif

Next time you should give the groom a cupcake and tell him to sick it where the sun don't shine!!! LOL

Woo hoo! becky your a hoot icon_lol.gif

and laura we may not have met yet but here's a big Image and well deserved too i'm sure!

monnitas0808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monnitas0808 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:47am
post #12 of 15

LAURAS, you are my gurl!!! Lets cry together icon_cry.gif .....tomorrow will be a great sunshining day for us!!! HERE'S TO ALL DISASTER STORIES.....AND A BIG thumbsdown.gif THUMBS DOWN TO THE "POOPHEADS"...LOL!!! Chin up my gurl we got a huge career ahead of us!!!! Lets see the procrastinator whip up a simple vanilla cake lets see how much he can take!!!

LauraS Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:20pm
post #13 of 15

Thank you All,
well i have gotten some sleep and well have looked at yesterday with new eyes. it ws horrible. i made major mistakes that i can not afford to do again. some new rules and a learning experianse may have been worth the whole horrid day. I thank each and everyone of you wonderful people for your support and kind words. it is now time to move on and start fresh. again I thank you.

Laura

LauraS Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 8:52pm
post #14 of 15

Follow up :

OK after yesterday. I received a phone call from Marci ( The bride) I was in a meeting and missed the call. she left a message saying that after yesterday, she could understand my stomach must have been in knots, she has been there before. That when they did cut the cake ,the quests and the groom did love the cake, they thanked me for my effort and hard work.

OK, now that I am breathing again. I feel better.

Thank you all for all of the support that I received in this very very trying day. It means a great deal.

DuckyChickenLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuckyChickenLady Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:34pm
post #15 of 15

Wow...you poor thing.
lol @ the 'poop heads' comment!
I am glad the bride was sympathetic! That's a plus.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%