Candy Thermometer To Test Oven Temp

Business By Biya Updated 15 Jul 2007 , 5:16pm by Jeffsgal

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 4

I have been wanting to check my oven temp out of cuiousity. I haven't had any problems so I didn't really want to go out and buy something just to appease my curiousity. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use a candy thermometer, don't want to ruin it. And if I can, should I just place it on the rack for a few minutes? Any thoughts would be great.

3 replies
Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 4

To each its own. You'll need an oven thermometer to check your oven temperature.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 4

for me, an actual oven thermomoter is a great tool to have. I've found that my oven is accurate when set at some temps, and not so accurate when set to others, so the thermomoter helps me adjust each time it's needed.

I didn't spend much, I think about $5 and it stays in the oven. I wouldn't want to risk breaking a candy thermom. in the oven.

Jeffsgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeffsgal Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 4

I agree.

Purchase a good quality oven thermometer.
I went with a cheap grocery store brand first, and it was a waste of money! And.......I lost several cakes too.

After spending a few extra dollars for a good one, I was able to calibrate my oven and I found it ran 25 degrees cool!
I just leave mine in the oven all the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%