Help! My Gumpaste Is Melting.....

Decorating By absolutecakes Updated 16 Jul 2007 , 4:45am by miriel

absolutecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absolutecakes Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 4:22am
post #1 of 3

I made a few gumpaste flowers months and months ago and they were just sitting downstairs, fully hard and dry. I went to go get one today to put on a cupcake to see if it would get moist from the buttercream and they were completely soggy already! We are having a heat wave right now and the humidity is about 75%. I have to make 100 gumpaste fantasy flowers for a wedding in 2 weeks, what the heck am I supposed to do if the weather stays like this? I sure as heck can't use these flowers on the cupcakes if they are floppy! Is there anyway to get them to dry out, or should I try to figure out an alternative flower for the cupcakes? The wedding is outside and she wanted a sort of wild flower look with bright pink, orange and dark green colors.

Any suggestions?

Katie

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 7:51am
post #2 of 3

You need a dehumidifier for those to dry out. You might consider some bright buttercream flowers, like simple roses or other simple blossoms.

If you can get icing to dry, you could freeze the buttercream flowers and add them at the last minute.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:45am
post #3 of 3

You can also use pastillage instead of gumpaste. I find that it holds better in the heat and I am still able to roll the petals thin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%