Viva Method -- Did I Do Something Wrong?

Decorating By tobycat Updated 15 Jul 2007 , 8:10pm by TexasSugar

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 10

I've done the Viva method a couple of times now, and I really love it -- I think, but I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I'm using the Wilton 1/2 and 1/2 bc, and it crusts just fine. It seems to smooth out fine, but it almost looks like and antique looks -- kind of cracky if that makes sense. Then, after refrigerating for one night, I took it out and a part actually cracked! I realized that the board wasn't holding the weight that well, so I put another board underneath, but I just wasn't sure if the icing would have done that anyway or if it's because of the Viva method. I'm attaching a pic of the cake that cracked in one place and just looks like of cracky in other places. You'll have to look at it close up, I think to get the full detail. The pic as is doesn't really show that well what I'm describing.

Could I have made the icing too stiff? I really liked how easily it smoothed over, but could that be why it cracked?

TIA -- S.
LL

9 replies
slb1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slb1956 Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 10

Add a couple drops of vinegar to you icing to prent some cracking. I've tried it and it seems to work..but also make sure you have it on a strong board or that will also cause cracking

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 10

it may just be your board ... my cakes crack (smooth icing or not) if the board is too weak. i now own a wide selection of plywood shapes!

tobycat Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 10

Oh, that's right, I'd heard about the vinegar trick -- totally forgot about it! I'll definitely do that next time. And, I'll be sure to use stronger boards.

THanks!!! thumbs_up.gif

S.

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 12:19am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge

it may just be your board ... my cakes crack (smooth icing or not) if the board is too weak. i now own a wide selection of plywood shapes!

I totally agree. I switched to ply wood too.

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 12:35am
post #6 of 10

What do you use as a liquid? Do you add any corn syrup? I use half and half and some corn syrup and haven't had a problem with this.

noley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noley Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 12:41am
post #7 of 10

I have started using some corn syrup to thin out my icing, and have been much more happy with the results. I don't get as much cracking, and it seems to not get "dried' out at all now. I know it says milk to thin, or more water, but I think i will be sticking to corn syrup, I mean it's fattening to start with... sooo icon_smile.gif heck with it let them eat cake!
Jen

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 1:00am
post #8 of 10

Maybe did you let it crust for too long before smoothing? I've read to let it crust for only 15 min or so...

tobycat Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 1:59am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsnurse

Maybe did you let it crust for too long before smoothing? I've read to let it crust for only 15 min or so...

Hadn't hear this before, but no, I really stayed within that margin. It's good to know that though.

Someone mentioned corn syrup above -- I've tried it before but found that it made the icing grainyish. I may have to try this again. I use milk, not water. This time, I used the exact amount of milk required. I liked how it crusted, but maybe it was just too thick too.

S.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 8:10pm
post #10 of 10

If cracks form after you move the cake your cake board is not sturdy enough. For most cakes you need to atleast double up on the board if not 3 or 4 layers for larger cakes. You can also use plywold or other solutions like that for large caks as well.

When using the viva method you want to do it right after the icing crusts. The longer you want the more it will crust and then when you try to smooth it it will leave little (or big depending) cracks on the surface. These remind me of elephant skin. So the best thing to do is wait until it just crusts. Alot of times I will be able to start smoothing the top of my cake right I ice the sides then the sides are ready when I get the top smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%