Write On Cakes

Decorating By Flowerpot Updated 7 Sep 2006 , 1:59pm by Flowerpot

Flowerpot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flowerpot Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 11

I'm sort of confused about how to copy a font from the computer and get it on my cake. If I trace some words on wax paper and turn them over on the cake, won't the words be backwords? Thanks for you help.

10 replies
ME2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ME2 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 11

Some printers allow you to print a mirror image of your document (look under printer properties from the print window to see if your printer allows this). Also, depending on what program you're using, the program itself might be able to print a mirror image.

If that doesn't work, after you print out the message, flip the paper over, then put your wax paper on top and trace from there (so you're tracing backwards). You might have to put your papers on a light source like a window to see through the computer paper.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 11

If you do not reverse the image of your font before you print it out (so that it is backwards), you can easily just print it out, tape it to a surface such as a table or smooth counter and then tape a piece of wax paper on top of that. Trace it with a marker. Then untape the wax paper, lift it off and flip it over (writing will now be backward). With the writing now backwards, tape the wax paper down again and trace the message with royal or piping gel and let it dry. When it is dry, carefully untape it from the table or countertop and place the wax paper on your cake, pressing the message into your cake. Now your message is reading the right direction!!

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowerpot

I'm sort of confused about how to copy a font from the computer and get it on my cake. If I trace some words on wax paper and turn them over on the cake, won't the words be backwords? Thanks for you help.

If you're flipping the writing over, you have to reverse the writing on your computer first. So that when you print it out and put it under wax paper, it's already backwards thumbs_up.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 11

If you are doing this with royal icing you dont have to flip it over...I dont. I just trace it and then when it is dry I pick it up and place it on my cake. You could flip it if you want a flat surface following the other's advice.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 11

oh btw...I use parchment (i like the wilton silicone treated) instead of wax paper. I think my royal letters stick to the wax paper. I did it once and they broke all over. Parchment works great for me, they just slide right off.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

If you are doing this with royal icing you dont have to flip it over...I dont. I just trace it and then when it is dry I pick it up and place it on my cake. You could flip it if you want a flat surface following the other's advice.

It depends on what you are writing and how small or how long it is. I have made large royal icing letters for just the name and traced them in the way they appear on the cake (right direction) and then after they dried they peeled off fine...sometimes they break this way though!

That is why I now just print the message and trace it onto the wax paper, flip the wax paper, tape it down, pipe the message, let dry, untape the wax paper, lift paper and flip it onto the cake and press the message in. I then trace over the outline with BC. If you aren't peeling the letters off of the paper and placing them on the cake, then you have to flip the paper to get it going in the right direction.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 11

I think the two best methods for writing on cakes is 1) royal icing letters that are piped on parchment or wax paper and left to dry, then placed on the cake, or my favorite, 2) pin-prick method....directions below:

1) Print out the image you want to use on your printer
2) Lay it on a piece of Styrofoam, you may want to use straight pins to hold down the corners, then use another straight pin to poke little holes all around the outlines (being careful to include every outline youll want to transfer to your cake). This poking will create a brail affect on the opposite side of your paper template.
3) Once your buttercream has CRUSTED, lay the paper template on your cake, brail side down and GENTLY rub over your paper stencil to transfer the image to your cake.
4) Remove your stencil and youre left with a trail of dots to follow along with your icing!

Warning: You MUST use crusting buttercream or this method will not work and youll be left with a mess!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 11

I use hte pin prick method that cambo described - works great. You can see it on my CCCs in my photos. I have terrible freehand writing.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 2:29am
post #10 of 11

What tip size do you use for royal letters? I have done some with candy melts and find a #2 is big enough, as the candy melts spread more

Flowerpot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flowerpot Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 1:59pm
post #11 of 11

All of your suggestions were so helpful and I can't wait to use them. Thank you so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%