Any Idea How This Is Done?

Decorating By Feefs Updated 16 Jul 2007 , 10:05am by MotherToad

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 10:33am
post #1 of 13

Ok
Friend emailed me a picture of this cake (think she saw it in a shop somewhere) and her daughter wants me to make it for her... she says is done with white choc on top and the colours are different colours mixed in with white choc.plus ribbons and stars... any idea how they would have done the smearing of the choc over the cake??

thanks for any help

-- Fi
LL

12 replies
Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 11:05am
post #2 of 13

Maybe it's a white chocolate fondant. Roll out the fondant, then place cut pieces of colored fondant on top of that, and roll again, then drape over the cake and smooth.

I hope that helps...

Holly

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 11:20am
post #3 of 13

I'm with Holly. It looks like the colors are kneeded lightly together but not so much as to blend them.

Debbie

Feefs Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 3:29am
post #4 of 13

thanks guys... i spoke to my friend again, and she said the lady in the shop told her it was definitely melted chocolate - not the rolled choc icing... anyone else got any ideas how i can re-create a similar design??? anyone???

Feefs Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 4:50am
post #5 of 13

anyone?? icon_cry.gif

sweetbabycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbabycake Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 4:51am
post #6 of 13

I am not an expert in chocolate but if memory serves in
Wilton's Cake Decorating 2006 they make a Mickey Mouse head plaque out of candy melts. They used the pan like a mold. I suppose if you had the star cake pan and used colored candy melts and painted the colors on the pan then covered in all white candy melts you should be able to create the same effect. HTH

Hollyanna70 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 8:26am
post #7 of 13

Or maybe buy some of the chocolate transfer sheets and do one section of the cake at a time, top then each side section where the points come together.. I hope that makes sense.. heh

OR, maybe it's the chocolate clay.. technically, that IS melted chocolate, just has a bit of corn syrup mixed in, but can be rolled out and used like fondant, if handled carefully.

and yet another OR, maybe she poured the melted chocolate on.. white first, then the separate colors...

Maybe make up some mini cakes with each thing, and see which turns out best for you?

Just a thought.. I really hope this helps!

Holly

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 12:11pm
post #8 of 13

Maybe the lady didn't want anyone to know how it was done! If you look at the large section of orange on the left you can see where it was blended more into the white than in other places. There's also a wrinkle or crease on one of the left points next to the thin red stripe like you would get with a rolled icing. The corners really aren't crisp enough to be a chocolate wrap - it really looks like a rolled icing of some sort. JMHO

Debbie

Hollyanna70 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 12:15pm
post #9 of 13

Yeah, I was just giving that as an option to get a similar design. It definitely looks like it was something that was rolled then placed on top of the cake.

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 3:49pm
post #10 of 13

I think it might be rolled fondant and then the chocolate melts are piped on top. If you look again at the orange there appears to be a lip is it looks like it may be on top of the fondant. Really hard to tell from the picture but thats my guess. Or it could be a white chocolate ganache glaze with colored melts piped on before it completely set. That "wrinkle" could be where the pour wasn't perfect.

Actually the more I look at it I think the glaze is the best bet.

Feefs Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:05am
post #11 of 13

thanks guys -- ur such a help!! i originally thought it was rolled fondant/choc fondant... with colours mushed in... but when she swore it was chocolate it had me stumped! i love the idea of trying to do the choc in the pan and then place over cake... thinking this might be a good option, although i think the easiest it to use the rolled way. And also, i think it's a bit ugly the way the colours are... the great blob of orange is very off-putting!... anyways... think i'll just get the choc fondant and hopefully that'll suit her just fine.
thanks for all your help

-- Fi

Hollyanna70 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 9:20am
post #12 of 13

If the person ordering the cake didn't specify it has to be chocolate, she just wants a similar look, I would definitely go with the chocolate fondant or other rolled versions.

Good luck! Post pics when you're done, please.. I would love to see them. I'm learning so much from this site! icon_biggrin.gif

MotherToad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MotherToad Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 10:05am
post #13 of 13

It very well could be chocolate clay with bright white colour and masked and air brushed. I have seen similar cakes done in that style.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%