What Does Everyone Do When It Is Sooo Hot?

Decorating By coreenag Updated 15 Jul 2007 , 2:58am by dolfin

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 20

Hi everyone. I was just wondering what do you all do to beat the heat? I am new to decorating so I do not have any orders that I need to fill but I am so bummed out because it is too hot to do any baking! icon_cry.gif I want to try out the new recipes listed and am dying to decorate something but can't turn on my oven.... what do you do to "fill the urge"?

19 replies
noley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noley Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 20

i'm bad i just crank up the air and turn on the oven... I have to make cupcakes tonight for a bake sale tomorrow, but I will, at least bake after dark. I know most people on here simply bake very early in the morning or at night and then decorate the following day.
Jen

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 20

sit here reading and posting on CC!

play w/ fondant --- i'm going to learn yet how to do all those cute animals, figures and stuff. so far, I'm really good at "blobs" (well, at least I got one sci-fi movie covered!)

sweetness11379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness11379 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 20

I was stressin about this a few weeks ago. It definately helps to bake on one day and then decorate on another. Its worked out ok since then. Also sticking to early in the am seems to work well too. Of course... turning up the AC and not worrying about the bill is the BEST way to beat the heat! icon_redface.gif that's a heat flash face not and oops face

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 20

This is the time for **PRACTICE** icon_smile.gif
Get out a piece of styro or a cake pan and practice making different borders or some technique you haven't done before.
Have an order coming up in the near future? Practice the flowers needed, or just making the icing smooth on a 'cake' (pan or styro dummy).

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 20

I crank up the A/C and bake away - but usually in the evening.

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 20

I get up extra early (4:30am) and start baking and pray that I'll be done before 7:00 a.m.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 20

I up the AC too....but my issue is with transporting the finished products if that is required. I'm in Kansas..and use alot of real butter in my icings. These do NOT travel well in the summer heat. In fact, I had a wedding cake's icing slide early in the spring from sunlight shining in my car windows while driving with the car AC cranked as high as it would go. Any solutions????

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

sit here reading and posting on CC!

Yeah so far that is what I have been doing. Hit the magical 100 posts yesterday! Yeah! Now I am a gallery support member! I will have to try the Ultimate fondant recipe and make some figures as well. sweetness I hear you about the hot flash....

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 9:02pm
post #10 of 20

I make sure the a/c is on, turn on the exhaust fan above the oven and have a floor fan pointed at my direction...
usually keeps me cool enough..
If I know I am going to bake in the evening, I keep all the blinds shut all day so the least amount of sunlight (heat) comes in the house..
I need to live it a temperate climate...it is either freezing or roasting here.. icon_lol.gif
I try and bake all I have to for the week and freeze so I won't have to put the oven on more than I have to...

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 9:07pm
post #11 of 20

Do baking in the wee hours of the morning one day, decorate early the next day. Our normal temp is between 109 and 117 lately. Humidity 44% today. spend the rest of the time in the pool. Next year I plan on stockpiling cakes in the cool months and freezing for the hot months. No more baking in the summer!!! Summer starts early here and lasts till October.

foots2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foots2 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 9:08pm
post #12 of 20

Phoov-
As far as what to do about the sun coming in the windows......I had a wedding cake on 7-7-07 and I got totes to put transport the cakes in. Some cakes were higher than the top of the top, so I took a poster board cut it to the size of the tote top and taped it in an arch over top of the cakes. Worked well.And the cakes were all fondant.

Alison01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alison01 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 10:19pm
post #13 of 20

I had my first wedding cake 07/07/07. I had to ice one layer 3 times because the icing kept melting and sliding down the cake! It was a disaster! I had to quit until it cooled off some that night and finish! I don't have an air vent in my kitchen, and I have 3 huge windows in the dining room beside my kitchen that bring in all the heat from the afternoon sun. I am actually considering building a porch on the front where those windows are to prevent this problem!!

4starcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4starcakes Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 11:44pm
post #14 of 20

Geez! I thought It was hot here in South Texas. Dolfin- YOUR ON FIRE! maybe if you put your cakes outside they'll bake on their own. icon_lol.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 1:06am
post #15 of 20

Jump in my pool!!!! icon_razz.gif It's 116 degrees here today...thankfully no baking needed.

On the serious side, our A/C runs nearly 24/7 this time of year here in Arizona so baking on a hot day is normal to me. I just bring an upright fan into the kitchen to cool me off.

KimAZ

dolfin Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 2:45am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4starcakes

Geez! I thought It was hot here in South Texas. Dolfin- YOUR ON FIRE! maybe if you put your cakes outside they'll bake on their own. icon_lol.gif

LOL, good idea ! since my oven is not working right they probably would cook faster outside. icon_razz.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 12:43pm
post #17 of 20

dolfin are you in Death Valley? Not sure where mecca is.........
I'm just the opposite......at almost 9,000 ft so it is very cool most of the time. Unusual for it to reach high 80sicon_smile.gif

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 12:54pm
post #18 of 20

I do like most others on here. I bake at night or early morning when temps are in the 60's or 70's. If I have to bake during the day; I make sure the house is cold. I keep the air set at about 73 degrees; when it's 90 outside with high humidity, it feels good & cool inside. In the summer I keep the blinds & cutains closed on the windows , the doors stay closed. I love sunshine. I just don't want my power bill to skyrocket.

Suzian3570 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzian3570 Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 1:06pm
post #19 of 20

Phoov...I came up with a good solution...you may think it's a little silly at first, but it works wonders for transporting cakes in the hot sun! If you don't already have a few dark colored bath towels or sheets, purchase some inexpensive ones (or dark trash bags can suffice just as well). If the day if very hot, and the sun very bright, I simply roll the edge of the towel/trashbag up in the windows to keep out the sunlight. I usually transport in a Ford Explorer with darkly tinted windows, but it is still sometimes not enough to keep out the sunlight heat through the windows. Naturally, I crank up the a/c (and usually wear a jacket while I'm driving there!) This method has proven itself many times. At first I was a little hesitant about doing it...worried what the customer would think about the towels/trashbags, etc., but then I realized they don't care what method you use...they just want their cake delivered in perfect shape! Hope this helps!

Suzian Cunningham
www.suzianscakes.com

dolfin Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 2:58am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

dolfin are you in Death Valley? Not sure where mecca is.........
I'm just the opposite......at almost 9,000 ft so it is very cool most of the time. Unusual for it to reach high 80sicon_smile.gif

No, it just seems like it sometimes. I am about 30 minutes from Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert on the way to Salton Sea. It is a small farming community lots of grapes, citrus, dates and vegetables.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%