A Very Sad Day... One Of My Hero Dies

Lounge By Lazy_Susan Updated 8 Sep 2006 , 12:40pm by itsmylife

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 6:25am
post #1 of 19

Today I learned that my Hero Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter, was killed by the barb of a stingray. I enjoyed watching him so much on Animal Planet. I was soooooo sad I wanted to cry but I am at work so I had to try to keep my composure. I even named one of my puppies after his daughter "Bindi Sue". He will be terribly missed. If anyone would like to read the article about his death just click the follwing link.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20349993-5001021,00.html

Susan

18 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 6:36am
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Susan

Today I learned that my Hero Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter, was killed by the barb of a stingray. I enjoyed watching him so much on Animal Planet. I was soooooo sad I wanted to cry but I am at work so I had to try to keep my composure. I even named one of my puppies after his daughter "Bindi Sue". He will be terribly missed. If anyone would like to read the article about his death just click the follwing link.

Susan

Susan
As you can imagine, it's all over the news here in Australia. I was in the car coming back from work when i heard. It is terribly sad icon_sad.gif
He was so young.
Nati

Lazy_Susan Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 6:44am
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonenati

Quote:

Susan

Susan
As you can imagine, it's all over the news here in Australia. I was in the car coming back from work when i heard. It is terribly sad icon_sad.gif
He was so young.
Nati

I can just imagine what it would be like to live in Australia and find out. I'm just really devastated. I enjoyed watching him so much and I was even trying to save money so I could go to the Australia Zoo some day. I was kind of hoping that when I was able to go that maybe he would be there. I know I shouldn't be this upset but it is just so sad. My heart goes out to his wife Terri and his children Bindi and Bob. They are only babies icon_cry.gif

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 6:49am
post #4 of 19
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonenati

Quote:

Susan

Susan
He was so young.
Nati

I can just imagine what it would be like to live in Australia and find out. I'm just really devastated. I enjoyed watching him so much and I was even trying to save money so I could go to the Australia Zoo some day. I was kind of hoping that when I was able to go that maybe he would be there. I know I shouldn't be this upset but it is just so sad. My heart goes out to his wife Terri and his children Bindi and Bob. They are only babies icon_cry.gif

Susan
I was just watching a news show, where they were saying that deaths by stingrays are very rare, an aquarium guy was on the show, and he said that he did research and there was only two reported deaths from stingrays. He also brought in one of the barbs, and the thing looked very scary indeed.
I know what you mean of his babies, they were showing pictures of them on the telly, heartbreaking.
These are two of the main papers in Australia
http://www.theage.com.au/
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/
I was also suprised to see that it's front page news on the cnn website.

icon_sad.gif
Nati

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 6:50am
post #5 of 19

Oh my gosh, I hadn't heard! How awful. I used to watch his show all the time and just adored his wife.

I actually thought you might be referring to Susan Butcher whose memorial service was held in Fairbanks yesterday. She was an amazing woman.

They will both be missed.

Lazy_Susan Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 7:00am
post #6 of 19

I forgot to mention that even though his death is a tragedy, at least he died doing what he loved most.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 11:54am
post #7 of 19

I just found this out...I can't believe this happened...he was the best!
My condolences to Australia...you have truly lost a great asset for the wildlife icon_cry.gif
My condolences also go out to his family, may he rest in peace.

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 12:26pm
post #8 of 19

I just heard myself, it is so sad. My heart goes out to all his family, friends and fans. I know that my sons loved to watch him. They are still asleep and I haven't told them yet. They are going to be very upset.

He was so young and has such young children. My heart breaks for them.

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 12:40pm
post #9 of 19

OH NO!!! That is soooo sad!!! My condolences goes out to his family!!! He was truly awesome.

NeeNee30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NeeNee30 Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 12:57pm
post #10 of 19

Oh my gosh!! I hadn't heard either!!! We have always LOVED his show(s)!! We are truly shocked and saddened for his family and all of Australia!! But at least he died doing what he loved! My thoughts and prayers go out to Terri, Bindi and Bob! He will truly be missed all over the world!

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 1:00pm
post #11 of 19

OMG!

Wasnt his daughter pretty young?!?

I'm gonna have to read that article.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 4:10pm
post #12 of 19

This makes me so very sad. I loved watching him, and my heart breaks for his family.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 4:32pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdd

OMG!

DD 8--born 1998
DS 3--born 2003

if i'm not mistaken

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 4:53pm
post #14 of 19

This was the talk in my house over breakfast this morning. We all watched his shows. It was a funny show! Some of you know that my son is nicknamed the Alligator hunter (since we don't have crocodiles in LA icon_lol.gif ). Thanks to Steve he found a love for snakes, alligators, frogs, turtles, etc, etc. He learned a lot from Steve & has even done some of his crazy stunts. That always scared me. I hate that he died but like someone said, he died doing what he loved! That's how I want to go. Loved every minute of his show's. Steve you will be missed!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 5:08pm
post #15 of 19

Oh! He was so young.... my kids loved him.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 5:19pm
post #16 of 19

My heart and prayers go out to Terri, Bindi and Bob. May they find the strength to carry on Steve Irwin's legacy. Truly a wonderful man to educate everyone about animals.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 10:21pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdd

OMG!

DD 8--born 1998
DS 3--born 2003

if i'm not mistaken

I didn't know he had two children until I read the article!! Thanks for their birth years!

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 4:48am
post #18 of 19

For anyone interested there has been a poem written for Steve by a well known Australian Bush Poet. It was played on local radio in Brisbane this morning and if you would like to hear it or read it just go to www.4bc.com.au and follow the link. John Williamsons song "Old Man Emu" will be played at the private funeral for Steve. It was his favourite.

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 12:40pm
post #19 of 19

He seemed to be a truly amazing guy with such a passion for animals and his family. I thoroughly enjoyed his 'zest' and the excitement he showed no matter what he was talking about. My kids love watching him.

Every time I see him on tv now (or a story about him), I get really sad. Such a 'larger than life' person --- will definitely be missed. A great educator.

One of the good guys. icon_sad.gif

My sympathies to his family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%