Fondant

Decorating By Breena Updated 20 Jul 2007 , 12:53pm by berryblondeboys

Breena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Breena Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:28am
post #1 of 10

OK Im new to the cake game and was wondering how do i wrap a cake in Fondant I have no Idea how yall do it

9 replies
Tinarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinarie Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:41am
post #2 of 10

There is a article on how to make marshmallow fondant and decorate you cake with it. No matter what fondant you use at the bottom of the page the article shows you how to put the fondant on the cake. I hope this helps. Go to the articles section to find this.

JMama3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMama3 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:43am
post #3 of 10

For the record,do your work in a cool place.The heat is not a good friend of fondant! icon_razz.gif Good luck to ya!

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:49am
post #4 of 10

Ok - start with a ball of fondant (there is a chart on wilton.com that tells you about how much fondant you need for each size cake - i will try to find the link for you).

The standard formula is: add the diameter of your cake, plus the height x 2. Example: you have an 8 inch cake, 4 inches tall.

8 + (4x2) = 16

You will want to roll your fondant out into a large circle that is 16 inches in diameter (if you are using an 8" cake). If you have a mat with measurements on it, roll the fondant out on that so you can see the diameter in one large circle. Roll it to about 1/4" thick. (I try to roll mine a little thinner, just be careful it will break easily when moving it to the cake.) Make sure it is even thickness all around. Ice your cake with your BC.

There are a few ways to cover the cake:

1. The way I find easiest is to roll the fondant onto my rolling pin loosely, starting at one side, lift it and unroll it over top of the cake.

2. lift your mat with the fondant on it and flip it over on to the cake ( I find this way is hard to get it centered in the correct position and it is lopsided on the cakes.

3. I thought there was another way . . . . now I can't remember, maybe someone could help me here.

Smooth the top of the cake with your hands first, then the flat fondant smoother, then move to the sides. It is easiest to sit in front of the cake, and work on the side farthest from you, so your hands and smoothing the farthest part away from you - like your are kind of giving the cake a hug (without squeezing too hard of course jk) I hope that makes sense. Cup the cake with your hands and smooth, gently working the fondant to the side of the cake. Work slowly and patiently at this part, otherwise you will get small ripples near the bottom. This part also takes a lot of practice. Once you have all the fondant smoothed completely around the cake, trim the excess near the base. I hope this helps, it takes practice and you will find your own little tricks along the way that work best for you. Maybe there is a tutorial somewhere . . . pictures would really help . . . I will check it out. Have fun!!

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:52am
post #5 of 10

and here is wilton instructions on how to prepare and use fondant:

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/rolledfondant.cfm

P.S. Satin Ice fondant tastes the best and is easiest to use. Dont use Wilton fondant it tastes like dirty feet.

karmicflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmicflower Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:52am
post #6 of 10

Welcome!! You will find a wealth of resources here. Fondant is very versatile, but it does take time to get the hang of it. Here are a couple of pointers:

• - Get a large piece of vinyl tablecover (by the yard) at the fabric section of walmart, it is inexpensive and the fondant will not stick.
    - Get good fondant, the wilton stuff sucks, i mean if you just want to practice its fine, but it tastes awful.
    - Invest in the nonstick roller, wilton sells one.
    - Use cornstarch on your hands to prevent sticking
    - Use the

fondant guide for the amounts needed to cover a cake, remember this equation.. the width that the fondant needs to be rolled to is the diameter of the pan + 2x the height (ex and 8x2 pan needs to be rolled 8+4 inches wide = 12 inches).
- Here's a video tutorial by Satin Ice, they make delicious and very easy to work with fondant.

HTH,

Jenn

Breena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Breena Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 10

Thank You all so much you where so very helpful wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marksmom Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 10

Don't forget to frost your cake with buttercream or a glaze first!!!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 10

Here is another great video(besides the one karmicflower linked)....

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 12:53pm
post #10 of 10

Just wanted to say thanks for the you tube link... boy do they make it look easy! Let's see how close to that I manage to come! LOL I should video tape the making of my first fondant wrapped cake - it should be a nice laugh for people! Sorry, kitchen is too big of a mess to show on tv! Three cakes and muffins and still dishes from last night's dinner too... NOPE, not showin'! LOL

Melissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%