Why????

Decorating By kjgjam22 Updated 3 Sep 2006 , 5:26am by LukeRubyJoy

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 4:29am
post #1 of 34

This might get deleted or locked before it even gets started but i have a question.....Why is it that as soon as we start to disagree on a topic that thread is locked??? We are big people and should be able to have our opinions. Yes we are all different and think differently but we should be allowed to sya whats on our minds respectfully and not have to worry about a thread being locked. Just my 2 cents.

33 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 4:31am
post #2 of 34

Ok... what thread got locked? icon_smile.gif

kjgjam22 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 4:40am
post #3 of 34

quite a few wer locked. sugarcraft, ace of cakes rather one of the many on ace and a few more.

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 4:56am
post #4 of 34

B/c we live in a day and age of being "politically correct" and people love reminiscing about daycare icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

mrboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrboop Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 5:07am
post #5 of 34

I think that is rather rude to lock a thread. If you don't want to hear other people's opinion then you shouldn't ask for them.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 7:05am
post #6 of 34

I think threads get locked because someone on the thread asks that it is locked. From the point of view of someone fairly new to the forum it IS offputting when there are lots of threads where people are getting heated with each other. I left a forum previously because so many people kept sniding at each other. People find it easier to make negative comments on a forum where it's not face to face and I think people tend to say stuff they wouldn't say normally as they feel safer. I'm not sure how I feel about threads being locked, but I certainly feel it's important to keep positive and supportive on forums, it's one of my favourite features of this forum.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 34

it has been said that if nothing creative & positive is coming from a post then there isn't a need for it--if it has started to become more negative or continuously hurtful then it's locked.

i really do think it's great to have a different opinion but to turn someones words on them is rude & very hurtful... icon_sad.gif

AND as i'm one person that asked that one of the Duff post be locked--i really thought i had good reason, i hadn't read it i a couple of days & i found out that another member was upset that their opinion wasn't wanted, so i went to see what was going on & i seen MYSELF being blasted & my words turned around...this upset me VERY much (other a few know just how much) i said my peace-- PM a mod & asked that it be locked b/c i promise you if it hadn't--it would not have ended & no joke i would have been asked to leave--as emmascakes said sometimes it's easier to to say things in a forum & i felt like someone was "yelling" hey you're stupid --sorry i just felt like that was happening to me.

as for sugarcraft & some others along the way--i know that jackie & heath just like to make sure that this is a learning site for us all & it's get to post a experience with a company for other to be aware--but they have a company to look after also..

i hope that my opinion is taken in the light manner that i wrote it--have a great day everyone. icon_smile.gif

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 34

Usually a thread is left to run its course and will only be locked if things continue to be heated. I've seen many threads that were really disagreeing and then they would turn on a good note.

And, from my observations, sometimes people ask for it to get locked for obvious reasons such as not wanting anyone else's feelings to get hurt, etc.

Also, a moderator may feel the need to step in b/c a conversation has fallen off subject, etc.

You asked a very good question, though, as we all are adults here; and we should be able to get along.

Threads being locked is simply a method used to try and control things around here and not let them get out of hand any further. Many times the posters of a locked thread will continue their conversation through pm's.

I believe that cc wants peace in their threads so that they will be inviting and encouraging to others. I don't think they want people reading a lot of arguing in the threads. Especially newbies.

IMHO.

I do agree with mrboops opinion and emmascakes opinion.

I just wish everyone could get along, but there are some members out there (and I could name them!!!) whose remarks almost always seem rude & sarcastic. There are many cliques on this site and there are many people that simply post to get their post # higher. I don't understand any of it.

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:03pm
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdd

You asked a very good question, though, as we all are adults here; and we should be able to get along.

I just wish everyone could get along, but there are some members out there (and I could name them!!!) whose remarks almost always seem rude & sarcastic. There are many cliques on this site and there are many people that simply post to get their post # higher. I don't understand any of it.

oh I've been online period for well over 6 years now and I've seen some real grade school stuff elsewhere. I havent read /caught up on all the posts in here since I havent been here long enough to really detect what you're talking about (yet)-

it is the inevitable thing about the internet I think that we will stumble across concentrations of this type of behaviour- as in face to face medium the concentration wouldnt be so strong - like bacteria floating around in the air arent really noticeable but put them all together in one petri dish and you notice them running rampant.

And the internet seems to be as I've notced a place where some people forget or maybe think that it's ok to throw away acceptable behaviour or just an outlet for behaviour they're prone to put out there anyway but more freedom to do so.

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 34

I know this is OT but ocean I absolutely have been cracking up at your avitar!!!! Priceless

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:18pm
post #11 of 34

I am new to CC and I am so addicted with cake decorating and CC but I see this site as a learning tool to all you ladies that have tons of knowledge. I can see why CC is locking threads that are heated but I have not read such things I like it that it's peaceful here and not another chat room, I can't stand when people say things to each other like another member said they feel safe cause they are not face to face. I just want to learn about cakes and ask for help when I need it which is like all the time!!!! Hopefully all of us are adults and parents heated arguments on a forum is a total waste of anyones time. That's just my .02 sorry if I have offended anyone.

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:29pm
post #12 of 34

I think overall CC is a very nice forum - there has been some debates and I usually just don't post to them! But I frequent a few other different topic forums (ie scrapbooking forums) and I tell you some are just NASTY!!! One of the reasons I love CC is people are so helpful and are not about jumping down your throat.

Just my 2 cents!

icon_smile.gif

adams2shop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adams2shop Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:34pm
post #13 of 34

My own $.02 on one thread I was following that ended up getting locked: When you're typing/reading, the tone doesn't seem to translate and what one person means as a joke gets totally blown out of proportion by another. I've even seen people read things completely wrong and get upset when it was just that they missed a "not" or something in someone's sentence. I think we just need to be careful, just like in email, that we don't misinterpret things.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:48pm
post #14 of 34

I think it's okay to disagree but not when it ruins the whole purpose of the site. I got pounced on once on a cake site when someone took something I said and turned it way around into something totally different from what the thread started out to be and I left. That hurt too because I was getting a lot out of that place and really enjoying getting to know other decorators. It's a shame when a thread has to be locked. It's too bad when adults can't grow up and respect others and their opinions. I have my opinions but it doesn't mean I have to right to say whatever I want with no regard to how it makes others feel. I love people, and I love it here. I'll stay as long as it stays nice here.

kjgjam22 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 4:12pm
post #15 of 34

i like this forum too. i am glad my thread didnt get heated. i thought it may have. no offence taken by anyones comments. icon_smile.gif im glad i got so many opimions on the subject.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 4:23pm
post #16 of 34

Ok, I'm pretty new around here and this is the first time I've heard about a post getting locked. How would you know this happened? Do they take the whole post off?

My other question is why would anyone care how many post they made? Having a high number doesn't really mean anything does it?

Oh and Ocean I LOVE your Nemo picture also. It's a crack up.

CarolAnn Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 4:35pm
post #17 of 34

kjgjam22,
I'm glad you brought this up. I think we need to be reminded once in a while that it's just best to be nice and respect others. Life is too short to waste it doing otherwise. As I said earlier I love this place and the people who come here who come for the same reasons I do. I appreciate you all!
Carol

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 5:08pm
post #18 of 34

I love this site and would be a bit lost without it... friendly people, always a helping hand or a suggestion and lots of fun. There is so much to learn and also, you can feel like you are giving back when you are able to help someone else. icon_smile.gif

I agree that most of the threads are full of positive posts but I am sick of certain posters who just pop into one thread or another and completely insult or trash someones opinion. I't terribly rude and there is no need for it....

I have lost my patience with ignorant people who only come here to toot their own horn ( over & over & over again ) and snub other peoples efforts. We all have different opinions and as much as I do believe in free speech, part of free speech is to be able to stand up for yourself and tell that person that they are full of hooey!

Perhaps a more mature person could simply take the abuse and choose to ignore it and move on.... and I admire that quality.... but as we are all aware, there are some doozies here at CC and God love 'em, but I don't have to. icon_lol.gif

Another thing that I have seen that just goes to show you how truly kind people are.... there are posters that can make cakes worthy of a royal wedding and these people take the time to show us newbies how to properly make icing, or frost a cake or they give us that confidence we need when were are starting out, instead of making snide little comments and then uploading pictures of their own cakes to show how it's really done... I can't tell you how much I appreciate them! icon_smile.gif

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 5:34pm
post #19 of 34

I love this place it helps me to get ideas and answers as I am self teaching myself the art of cake decorating. I love the idea that in some ways it is like a chat room with how fast we can get an answer. I also value everyone's opinion and hope that they are honest answers without being rude. There are diplomatic ways to critique someones work without being hurtful or hateful and if a thread starts to become argumentive then it should be stopped. I am a cake baker not a fighter lol and would hate to see a good thing like this site closing its doors because some people cant get along so better to nip it in the bud before this happens. I have learned sooooooo much useful information since I found all of you and it is such a pleasure to come here and just sort of chat but I have to agree that typing words cannot express exactly how someone feels or exactly the tone of their coment so very often the words can be misconstrued. This is just my humble 5 cents canadian lol 2 cents us lol icon_smile.gif

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 6:14pm
post #20 of 34

We all must remember that those who are snide, rude, and mean have their own issues. It often makes them feel better to make others feel worse, and in keeping that in mind, we can hopefully let the comments roll off our backs. Often easier said than done! But also in asking for constructive criticism, we have to also remember, often some are not the best in their "bed side manner" and lack a grace with their verbage. If asking for comments, advice and criticism, we should be prepared that we will be given it! We all must remember that wherever our talents lie at this moment, we too were also new to the art at one point, and hopefully at that point, there was someone who was willing to advise, teach, and help like so many here. In this site there is a wealth of knowledge untold, and I for one am trying to suck ever ounce of it I can, and thank god for those who share it! Let's all do whatever we can to assure this never ends.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 7:39pm
post #21 of 34

I tend to post a fair amount--usually with directions or information.

I swore off making any comments or judgements on people's work/photos early on in my membership because someone made (what I felt) was an unnecessary sniping comment on one of my photos and I didn't want to make anyone else feel the way I did---after all, it was done and I couldn't exactly fix it (even if I wanted to.....and I didn't)--and I hadn't "asked" for their opinion--didn't know that I could "turn off" comments. I haven't turned them off, anyway, because I do respond to people asking for info or directions on a cake.

That said, I do think that, at times, people don't really get a true "critique" of their work, even when they seem to ask for it. I have seen posts asking for "honest opinions", "what do you really think", etc. and I wouldn't touch those with a ten foot pole! Heaven knows what size flames I'd generate if I actually had the nerve to say, "Well, it looks like your shells are pretty flat and irregular..." Sorry, but someone would tell me that I'm a meany and and that I'm somehow crushing someone's spirit....BUT, I won't be a Pollyanna either....

Personally, I'd like to see a forum area where people can post photos and ASK for honest critiques/help with techniques, etc. Responses would be anonymous--and truly helpful--or they'd be deleted by a moderator.

I've been involved in two threads that were closed. On each case, I debated for a long time about posting my thoughts. In each case, I felt very, very strongly that something unethical/wrong/criminal had been promoted as being perfectly OK/normal and I just couldn't let it go by while others gave it a thumbs_up.gif I tried very hard not to point a giant finger at the poster (although their defensive responses didn't see it that way), but in this day and age where some pretty borderline behavior seems to get accepted way too quickly as OK, I just wanted people to think about it before they tried the same thing.

It's a tough call--if we make things more anonymous, the board will probably get less appealing, so I guess closing controversial threads it the only way to turn down the heat and not scorch the whole thing.

Just my .02
Rae

kjgjam22 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 7:59pm
post #22 of 34

blakesCakes i need to give you back some change...you said you put in 2cents. i need to give you back 8 cents. you put in a whole buck. icon_smile.gif long post but i see your point. and agree 100 %. i think i am aware of the post your reffering to and i agree with you that it wasnt right. i am not opening that can of worms. i also agree that the honest opinions are not always honest. i have always been told that if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all. i think if we all adopted that saying we would have less locked threads.

CarolAnn Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 8:06pm
post #23 of 34

BlakesCakes, thank you. You just stated some things I have been thinking.
I decided for and then backed out of being one of the volunteers to make comments on new pics as they were posted. The main reason being that it would be required that I make a positive comment/compliment on each and every pic asisgned to me. I just didn't feel that this would be honest onmy part. I love looking at other decorators work and I comment on a great many, but not all. If I walked up to you and one of your cakes and you asked me for an honest opinion I would give it. And I feel I have a pretty good way with words and it comes easy for me to speak to other with kindness. But to do so online with stangers I feel can be so easily misunderstood and more often than not will be taken in a hurtful way even if the individual thinks they want honesty. It's human nature to want approval and be uplifted. It's risky responding to some of the requests I've seen here so I will refrain from commenting. We are all at different levels of skill on here and that's what makes it fun and interesting. If I thought I knew everything about cake decorating I probably wouldn't bother with an online board, I'd go staright to making the big bucks! Yee ha! But I don't so I'm not...LOL

A wise man (my podiatrist) told me recently "A man who thinks he can do everything is the master of nothing." I agree.

You know I think it'd be so cool to be able to sit down with a bunch of you with a cup of tea or coffee and share ideas and techniques but dang, it's just me here looking to all of you for inspiration and help and hoping I can give a little back now and then. That's about all I can ask and do.

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 9:10pm
post #24 of 34

This is a great topic. I personally thinking locking threads is a poor choice. I do believe when you make a post you do need to realize that there are people who may and may not like what you have to say, but that needs to come with the territory. Dont complain about it- it gets to be the "teacher, she's looking at me" mindset. To be blunt, you better be prepared for the better and the worse. However, on the other side of the coin, I think we have reached a point in society that everyone is so hung up on their "right" to say whatever they want, that we have lost track of the value of common courtesy

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 9:25pm
post #25 of 34

One more thing- the internet is filled with many people with different beliefs and such and there is no way that someone can "not" get offended by a comment, as innocent as it may be. I think we all need to keep that in mind. I am not one to walk on eggshells- I tend to fire straight from the hip so to speak. I (try) to avoid the topics that I feel get controversial because I know my mouth gets me in trouble now and then because I feel so strongly about simple things. This may not be "real life" so to speak but we are real people and different thing make us tick.
The Ace of Cakes thread was in my opinion one that should not have been locked. I myself was getting sick of the gushing and such over Duff- he's a regular guy! Yes, we admire the work of CCC, but when the show is over, the cast and crew go home to their daily routines. I think Elliot on AI pointed it out well when they showed him going back to his to home town and going into the pharmacy- he was same the guy he always was. I think people tend to lose perspective when it comes to celebrties and such. No flaming or condoning anyone on their posts, but it really irks me that that thread was locked because someone had an opinion on where it was going. We all have opinions and such and yes, we may not agree, but we should (try) to be respectful of others as well.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 9:36pm
post #26 of 34

I respect all of you who can truly give honest opinions...I was always taught the "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" way of thinking and add to that the "before you point out the splinter in someone elses eye you must remove the plank from your own " teaching I got at private school... you probably wont find many posts from me that points out faults and or bad behaviors (that said I am sure I have and will post something that bugs someone at some point). I just don't think that is my place.....but I do think locking threads is the right thing to do. Isnt the #1 goal of this site to be informative and supportive? I have learned so much from this site and tried so many new recipes and techniques that my short time so far on here has been invaluable.

I am probably one of those 'newbies" who posts too much, when someone told me of this website a few months back I really got excited about it....and after a few months of just viewing the photo galleries I realized what I was missing out on in the forums. Obviously this stay-at-home Mom needs to do more housework during nap times and less chatting (story of my life)! Anyway this has been a good topic and I am happy to say...I didnt detect any heat!

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 10:34pm
post #27 of 34

Oh man..a double edged sword for sure.

I used to be on a different decorating site and was pm'd by a member asking me to critique her cake. I assumed she wanted the truth so I pointed out some things and offered advice on how to fix them.

The pm I got back would have curled your hair!!

I can understand the reason for locking threads. I believe the MODS want to keep this site "friendly" and some people just don't know how to be diplomatic. On the other hand some members aren't open to "suggestions" about their work and yet I've seen threads asking why they aren't getting orders etc.

If we are going to use all of the knowledge on this site we have to be open to suggestions and criticism. I've said before that I would rather hear about my short comings HERE than from a disappointed client.

I do believe in recognizing effort and improvement but I also believe that we all have new things we can learn, only if we are open to learning them. Being mean has no place here. You can help another member learn in a nice way. No one likes to be demeaned.

But if you are SERIOUS about wanting to be a decorator and a successful one to boot you have to learn how to accept critical opinions about what you do. If you can't your chances of failure are much greater.

I was lucky enough to have a friend who graduated from the CIA. I would bake and he would taste and he would tell me the truth about what I was doing. He held nothing back. There were times his words hurt but I knew that if I wanted to "make it" I would have to toughen up. He is part of the reason that I have a degree of success with what I am doing.

There have been numerous times that I have wanted to pm another member with a suggestion, especially when they ask specifically for an opinion and I have stopped myself. It is hard to figure out just who REALLY wants help and who just wants to hear praise.

I'm not a perfect decorator. There are members here whose work just blows me away. And there are others who remind me of me when I started and I find myself yearning to help them but am afraid of the reaction I would get. So I keep my fingers off of the keyboard.

I think that is the saddest part of it. Because there are people out there who aren't diplomatic and who have hurt others instead of helping many members will continue to struggle because those of us who can and would help are afraid to. Such a waste of talent and knowledge makes me sad.

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 11:09pm
post #28 of 34

Well, I believe that threads should be locked if it is getting into a heated exchange with others. CC is not the place to fight. Many of us come here for help and to learn from other more experienced bakers. If I want to argue with someone, I have plenty of people to choose from to do so at work or at home.

I do believe that everyone is entitled to their opinions, but we should try to respect each other and not fight.

Now, I was really shocked to see the request for volunteers to post comments on pictures and unanswered posts! If we have to ask people to do that, then are we really getting an opinion because that person wanted to comment or because they had to make comments on so many posts that day? I would think that people post because they want to, not because someone thinks they have to. Now I am sitting here wondering if people really liked my cakes or just trying to be nice.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to start anything, just wondering why we do that. I want a honest opinion on my cakes, especially since I'm just beginning to decorate. Constructive criticism could help me more than a nice comment. JMO.

mudpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudpie Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 11:20pm
post #29 of 34

They get locked because people can't disagree without getting mean and nasty and attacking others.

There's always SOMEONE who starts name calling, accusing others or just plain hurtful.

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 11:27pm
post #30 of 34

OH DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED!!! ....,...... thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

but just half of my two cents....its not the subject....I believe its more who is in the post ...and which moderator is on! icon_confused.gif ....just look around at how many of the same subjects...same arguements....but find the common denominator to why they are locked icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%