I Need You Guys' Opinion On Name (Long)

Business By aoliveira Updated 12 Jul 2007 , 4:53pm by mekaclayton

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 21

Hi everyone,

My website is almost done and now I'm in a crunch for a name. I've been throwing around a bunch, but none that I love except one.

Tell me what "Bolo Confections" conjures up in your mind, especifically the word Bolo. The reason I like it is because bolo simply means cake in my language. So I like that connection. I also like it because it is not a word that's common, so it could be an icebreaker or invite questions. I like that too. Also, I'm in the NY area and I want to create a business that is high end and I can definitely see that name on a store front.

I just want to make sure it's not too out there and too weird. You guys have always given out really good advice, truthful, but not offensive and most importantly you all have such great ideas. I'm hoping new sets of eyes can add perspective to this.

Thanks,
Alex

20 replies
jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 21

IMHO: Bolo Confections is too difficult to say and possibly to remember.

What about Bolo Bakery or The Bolo Bakery?

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 21

Don't know how much help I can be on this one. I think it sounds interesting but I haven't had much experience in this area. Maybe this will give you a bump though. Good luck!

kidscakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidscakelady Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 21

The name sounds interesting and I could also see it in a fancy font on a storefront but have never heard of the word before and it doesn't conjure up the idea of cake in my mind- (actually my first thought was of a bolo leather tie but we recently had a western theme dance that brought it to mind.) What language is it from? I wish you luck in your venture and will be curious to hear what others have to say about this.

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 21

Bobby Flay has a restaurant named Bolo in New York - I wonder if that would be confusing for some people.

But I do like the name Bolo Bakery.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 21

Bolo Confections would not come to mind as a bakery. Bolo Bakery as mention would be good. The name would not be one for me to remember. Sorry could not be much help.

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 21

Or Bolo Bake Shoppe...

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 21

The first thing I thought of when I read "Bolo" was SoHo or BoDo (here in Boise). I would have assumed it was an acronym for a particular area. But it certainly wasn't anything negative.

When I see the word "Confections", I think of candy. So if you want it to be obvious who/what you are - I'd go with bakery (or something similar).

Shazzana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazzana Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 21

In my opinion Bolo Confections sounds like a candy store. But i definetly like, NO love the idea of the Bolo Bake Shoppe. then people will know what you are selling. I hope it helps.

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 21

I like the name and I can see it in fancy letters on a storefront with nice pink colors....oh I'm sorry, went wild with my vision. I happen to like it personally. It's a reflection of you. It's catchy and can be simplified to 2 letters as a logo on a cap or apron etc. to look like icing or something. People thought my name was crazy at 1st but it does open up the conversation of how and why I got started. Well that just my opinion. My name felt right to me, if it feels good to you...go for it. Imagine answering the phone to it....Bolo Confections, we have the cake to make.
Dunno, no one listens to me anyway...just an idea

mekaclayton Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 6:58pm
post #11 of 21

What's your logo...it can send over the message that you are baking cakes if you feel the name doesn't.

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 7:02pm
post #12 of 21

mekaclayton, you're too funny. It's funny you mentioned pink, bc that is the color I'm using. And now I know just how I'll answer the phone icon_biggrin.gif

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the comments. To answer some of your questions...The reason I chose confections is bc I do fancy chocolates as well. But now I'm thinking Bake Shoppe sounds great too.

I'm from Brazil, so Bolo is portuguese. I was worried about people thinking about those cowboy ties as someone mentioned, but I guess in this area, it wouldn't be the first thing on people's minds. As far as Bobby Flay's restaurant, I thought about that too. But I don't see myself being that big, that it would be a concern. Who knows though!!

Well, I think I'm one step closer to this name thing. Thanks to all.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 7:05pm
post #13 of 21

Your business name should be easy to say, easy to remember, easy to spell, and tell exactly what you do. This is doubly important if it is also your web address. Though Bolo means cake to you, it doesn't mean anything to most people. I don't think it is the best choice for an American consumer client base.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 7:05pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekaclayton

I like the name and I can see it in fancy letters on a storefront with nice pink colors....oh I'm sorry, went wild with my vision. I happen to like it personally. It's a reflection of you. It's catchy and can be simplified to 2 letters as a logo on a cap or apron etc. to look like icing or something. People thought my name was crazy at 1st but it does open up the conversation of how and why I got started. Well that just my opinion. My name felt right to me, if it feels good to you...go for it. Imagine answering the phone to it....Bolo Confections, we have the cake to make.
Dunno, no one listens to me anyway...just an idea

I agree, if you want high end it sounds high end. Bolo reminds me of Argentina. true it is an american based business but we are a land of diverse cultures esp. in ny.

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 7:08pm
post #15 of 21

The name Bolo is wonderful but I agree with indydeby about the confections part.

Example: I make chocolates and cakes so I had to include this fact in my business name. I settled on Desserts but I think Bolo Bakery, aas suggested, is much better.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 7:12pm
post #16 of 21

Ok Mamaberry you made me look LOL, I went back to read indy's post and couldn't find it. 3 times.

mekaclayton Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 7:28pm
post #17 of 21

I say GO FOR IT!
It's easy to remember, easy to say and honestly, nowadays, it doesn't have to say what you're doing. Your slogan can do that....or your logo. There's plenty of businesses that reflect a family name...the name says it all...it carries the reputation. People aren't going to dislike you because of your name....make a name for yourself, your reputation will do the rest. Bakery could also very well imply that you bake other things. Shoppe is cute. And Bolo means something to you....it will to others as well! America is THE MELTING POT. Good luck on the name (and I'm going to call one day and see how you answer icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ) I crack myself up! PM me the # icon_biggrin.gif

jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 8:04pm
post #18 of 21

I love Bolo Bakery Shoppe. Good Luck.

ButtercupMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercupMama Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 6:18am
post #19 of 21

I like it the way it is.
It does sound high-end, and I think using bakery or bake shoppe, etc, will make it sound like one of the other kazillion bakeries that are surely in that area.
The name sets you apart; that is good if you don't want to be like everyone else! And it is a good icebreaker, and Bolo is not long to spell if someone is confused.
I do agree that an informative logo (showing a cake!) or tagline that says it all (in English icon_lol.gif ) could be just wahat you need to go with this name!

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:06pm
post #20 of 21

Ditto on what Jules said about Bobby Flay's restaurant. I'd definitely check that out, regarding of how big you think you are going to be. All it takes is one pic in the paper or a magazine for them to find out, and they might not be so happy. The name Bolo (for his restaurant) is a combo of his and the other owner's names, so who knows what they'll think. Make sure you take the right precautions on this, it would really stink to build up a reputation with that name and have to change everything.

mekaclayton Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:53pm
post #21 of 21

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/doc/general/index.html#ptsc

This will clear up any confusion on use of a name and what rights you have. Plus you can search a database to see if your name, logo etc is taken.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%