Sugarpaste/gumpaste???

Decorating By marksmom Updated 11 Jul 2007 , 5:15am by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

marksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marksmom Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:11am
post #1 of 7

Are sugarpaste and gumpaste the same thing? I want to try my hand at those pretty roses I've been seeing.
Gina

6 replies
zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:21am
post #2 of 7

From what I've read, and I'm no expert, sugarpaste is what the British call fondant. You can add gumtex to sugarpaste to turn it into gumpaste.

I know gumpaste is for flower-making because it dries harder.

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:25am
post #3 of 7

Hi

No, they're not the same thing. Sugarpaste is what you guys in the US call fondant.

Gumpaste has a stiffening agent added (gum tragacanth, tylose or CMC etc) to give the paste more strength and to allow it to dry a bit faster. If you want to make roses, gumpaste is best. You might need to try a few recipes or a few brands of the ready-made commercial gumpaste to find the one that suits you best - they are all a little different.

By the way, outside of the US, gumpaste is usually called flower paste or moulding paste (in case you see those terms).

Kind regards,
Cris.

marksmom Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:32am
post #4 of 7

I have another question, what does it taste like? Gumpaste, I mean? The word paste always reminds me of the kid who ate paste in kindergarten icon_surprised.gif

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:36am
post #5 of 7

I love the books by Debbie Brown, Mich Turner, etc. So I definitely learned the difference once I started reading them.
I've only tried the Wilton gumpaste because I'm just starting to try flowers. But I'm sure there are others that are superior.

marksmom Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:02am
post #6 of 7

thumbs_up.gif Thanks for the advise. I was gonna buy so Wilton tomorrow and try it. Wish me luck. The advise on this site is sooooooo helpful. Can't thank everyone enough. If I didn't have you fellow cakers I'd just be floating around by myself and probably not try anything new!!!!! icon_cool.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 5:15am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesscris

Hi

No, they're not the same thing. Sugarpaste is what you guys in the US call fondant.

Gumpaste has a stiffening agent added (gum tragacanth, tylose or CMC etc) to give the paste more strength and to allow it to dry a bit faster. If you want to make roses, gumpaste is best. You might need to try a few recipes or a few brands of the ready-made commercial gumpaste to find the one that suits you best - they are all a little different.

By the way, outside of the US, gumpaste is usually called flower paste or moulding paste (in case you see those terms).

Kind regards,
Cris.

Thanks for that info., Cris. It clears up a lot for me since I read somewhere (can't recall where exactly) that sugarpaste was the same as gumpaste. It confused me ....until now. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%