Do Any Of You Make Your Own Flower And Modelling Pastes?

Decorating By emmascakes Updated 1 Sep 2006 , 8:17pm by JoAnnB

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 6:06am
post #1 of 7

I'm getting a bit fed up of spending out on flower and modelling pastes and know that loads of my cookery books have recipes in for them - I tried making my own pastillage but it's been very hit and miss. The first time I made it it turned out great and I was delighted, but the next two times it didn't work - crusted much too quickly. I've ordered some tylo powder to make different recipes with as I was using gum tracaganth and gelatine. Would love to know what you all do - including MMF - what IS this? (I'm UK based)

6 replies
emmascakes Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 7

Giving myself a bump here as I'm really hoping for some answers!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 7

MMF is primarily made with melted marshmellows and confectioners sugar.You melt the marshmellow in a bowl in the microwave and then add the sugar and knead until soft.It reallY is inexpensive.There is a recipe for it here on CC.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 7

I have a recipe for pastillage and for gumpaste (nicholas lodge). They are both pretty easy and super inexpensive. I have them saved in word documents, or I may have posted them previously in the forums. So you can do a search, or PM me with your email and I can send them to you if you are interested.

Leta

emmascakes Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 7

What kind of decorations can you make with MMF? Does it stand up to much? I do a lot of 'sticking out bits' that I've previously used pastillage for, but it dries so quickly and tends to crack and I'm scouting around for something else that might be better. I'll attach some pics so you can see what I mean - what modelling paste would you use for this type of stuff?
LL
LL
LL

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 7

Wow! What beautiful work. There certainly are "lots of bits" sticking out. Wonderful!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 7

Your cakes are terrific. Making petal paste/gum paste is very easy, and using the recipe and instructions from Nicholaslodge.com you will get a very good produce. The Tylose (tylo powder) isn't cheap, but on the whole you will save money. It will also allow you to color and entire batch from the beginning, which can save a bit of work.

For some modeling, a mixture of 1/2 fondant and 1/2 gumpaste will give you time to work with it, but it will still dry fairly hard. Especially good for drapes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%