What Size Cake?

Decorating By Ptb Updated 10 Jul 2007 , 6:57pm by indydebi

Ptb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ptb Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 6

I am making cake for a baby shower, about 25 people. I have a 11x15 pan. Can I use that or should I use something else? I have used it in the past and my concern is that if I make it according to Wilton I will use 2 cake mixes. It isn't very tall. Is that okay? I don't want to make a 2 layer or I will have more cake than needed? I kind of want to use the 11x15 so I can put my design on top but will rearrange if it won't look good. Could I make the 11x15 with maybe 3 cake mixes to make it taller? icon_confused.gif

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

5 replies
momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 6

I used to be able to use 2 mixes for an 11x15, but recently I'm noticing that it's not enough. I now need about 2 1/2 mixes for that pan. They must be downsizing the mixes. I fill my pans about 2/3 full and that gives me a nice height. That should be plenty for 25 people.

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 6

I use 2 mixes. Just did one and it worked just fine. What mix do you use? That could make a difference too. Oh and you also could use the Dream whip recipe with it...it adds on to it as well. Or an extender...when I use the Dream Whip, there will be excess...I usually make cupcakes with it. icon_lol.gif
And an 11x15 will be more than enough...well IMO.

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 6

I usually use Duncan Hines, but will use Pillsbury too.

Ptb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ptb Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks. I am a Pilsbury girl. I will try 2 1/2 mixes and see how it works.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 6

I use 2 Betty Crocker mixes, baking strips, grease-only no flouring the pan, 325 degrees. Cake usually rises higher than the pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%