Ace Of Cakes Staff Judging

Decorating By sweetbaker Updated 21 Jul 2007 , 5:11am by CoutureCake

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 53

the Extreme Cakes Challenge on Food Network.

Here is link to the schedule:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_cc/episode/0,2495,FOOD_20077_51673,00.html

52 replies
maggie_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggie_14 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 12:20pm
post #2 of 53

Thanks for posting this info!!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 12:22pm
post #3 of 53

Thanks! Sounds like a fun one!

Debbie

harmonhouseofraymond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harmonhouseofraymond Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 53

Has Duff ever judged? I bet he is a riot!

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 11:12am
post #5 of 53

Yay for Tivo!

Watching it now!

icon_biggrin.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 11:17am
post #6 of 53

That was a really fun challenge!

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 11:25am
post #7 of 53

Should be a fun episode. I'll set my recorder. Thanks so much. I love AOC.

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 11:26am
post #8 of 53

Can't wait to watch! Thanks for posting. thumbs_up.gif

harmonhouseofraymond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harmonhouseofraymond Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 11:30am
post #9 of 53

It was a lot of fun to watch I was laughing so hard looking at Duff's face when the guy was trying to light the Army knife. icon_biggrin.gif

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 11:43am
post #10 of 53

I may be the odd person out, but I was a little disappointed in the show. I like to learn from the cake challenges and those cakes were just to technical. It seemed to be more mechanics, wood, screws and everything else but cake.

Over all, I know it was Extreme Cakes but it wasn't what I was expecting.

darkchocolate

tiffanypatton79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffanypatton79 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 11:50am
post #11 of 53

ohhhhh i'm having withdrawl they took it off our afn military broadcasting icon_cry.gif for some morning show..... i asked for the dvd for my birthday wish me luck and enjoy the show !

lara3teach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lara3teach Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 11:53am
post #12 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchocolate

I may be the odd person out, but I was a little disappointed in the show. I like to learn from the cake challenges and those cakes were just to technical. It seemed to be more mechanics, wood, screws and everything else but cake.

Over all, I know it was Extreme Cakes but it wasn't what I was expecting.

darkchocolate

I'm with you, darkchocolate. I enjoyed the show, but was a little disappointed too. The girl from Chicago made some beautiful cakes and sugar work, but they really didn't show much of that being done. Just the problems they had with the mechanics of their structure. It was a fun show, just not one of my favorite challenges.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 11:53am
post #13 of 53

I totally agree with dark chocolate. I was disappointed, too.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:02pm
post #14 of 53

I thought the same thing too. Both my husband and I watched but we were looking for the cake!! All we saw were tools, screws and pyrotechnics...What about the decorating....I won't be watching this one again and I usually watch them all at least 2-3 times!! Just my opinion of course!!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:03pm
post #15 of 53

I agree too that the "cakes" were really more mechanical wonders than cakes. I so wish the cake that was supposed to be a rotating chandelier would have worked out! Now that would have been an extreme cake!!!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:12pm
post #16 of 53

I wanted to see more of "how" they did it too, even the bases or structures. It was almost like they maybe didn't want us to know their secrets....like how she got those cakes upside down or how she got her monkey seams nice and smooth.

What I DID like is the positive judging attitude they had. I had been getting tired of whats-her-name on the other ones being almost mean to the contestants...I liked how Duff was encouraging and positive to everyone about their creation.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:19pm
post #17 of 53

I agree - they were a lot more positive and really fun to watch - just not enough cake. I too would have loved to see how she did the upside down part. I wish their structure would have held their cakes cause I though that one was the coolest for sure if it had worked...

darkchocolate Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:20pm
post #18 of 53

...I liked how Duff was encouraging and positive to everyone about their creation.

Quote:
Quote:

I agree Kitagrl.

darkchocolate

darkchocolate Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:26pm
post #19 of 53

Some how I messed up posting that quote. Sorry!

darkchocolate

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:54pm
post #20 of 53

Ditto. Too much mechanics, very little cake!

I loved the winner though. The didn't do that much mechanics and her monkey was HUGE!!! thumbs_up.gif

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:07pm
post #21 of 53

I agree darkchocolate. I think it took a ton of talent but I wasn't very interested in it. On the other hand, my husband and son were really into it. They usually hate watching anything on the food network, but they loved that show and thought it was really neat. Now they want me to bake a Swiss Army Knife that shoots fire.

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:59pm
post #22 of 53

I too feel that it was EXTREME CAKES not extreme tools

as soon as I saw that there really wasn't much cake and I came in late, the girl from Chicago had already built her sock monkey cake and was just putting the fondant on it ( she shouldn've done what Buddy Valastro does and brought a fondant sheeter to make it easier and quicker! lol) I lost interest.

I too was like "So what does this have to do with cakes?"

They do have the talent to make "extreme cakes" but I think everyone was trying to out do DUFF and forgot that it WAS a CAKE challenge..

Buuuuuut.

Everyone got an A for effort, I'd just rather leave the fireworks for celebrations and not my cake's behind!

lol

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:01pm
post #23 of 53

I agree with most of you....leave the mechanics to the bikers....
My opinion is that a cake challenge on tv should be about a beautiful cake design.
I love Elisa Strauss, but this was so not her forte. I'm sure she would have rather won a challenge based on an elegant, original cake design than the giant killer sock monkey icon_surprised.gif

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:05pm
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

Giant killer sock monkey icon_surprised.gif

icon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

That's too funny! And what a nightmare that must be for some of the children attending the challenge!!!!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:06pm
post #25 of 53

What's next? The synchronized swimming cake challenge? Perform a routine and eat cake when you're done?

I was disappointed. More cake, less pyrotechnics, please...

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:09pm
post #26 of 53

Oh I just watched last night & I agree, not enough about the actual cake designs. But, Duff and his crew were AWESOME judges! You could tell they really wanted to get in their and help when people were having problems. icon_cool.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:12pm
post #27 of 53

Yah, Usually Kerry Vincent is judging and she is very critical. She also does the OK Sugar Show. She knows her stuff but she is very critical.
I think the only things I liked about it is that Duff was in it and that he was more of a helpful judge. You can tell he is just a nice guy. And then his comment about how Elisa told everyone to kiss her monkey butt!! But other than that, it wasnt a "cake" challenge more of a tool challenge. The only cakes I really liked were the ones they showed in the beginning which I believe were Elisas.

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:13pm
post #28 of 53

While I agree that I learned nothing about how they did it all (which is one of my favorite parts of the cake challenges) I thought it was one of the most entertaining episodes yet. Duff was cracking me up when he was trying to "help" but not help. When he was watching the guy with the shoelaces it was killing me!

It made me like Duff and his Crew even more. I thought Mary Alice was adorable and tried to be so postitive and I couldn't believe Jeff said nothing through the whole thing except "That's a big monkey" or something like that!

All in all, it made me laugh, and it was about cake...so I was happy!

-Michelle

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:14pm
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

I agree with most of you....leave the mechanics to the bikers....
My opinion is that a cake challenge on tv should be about a beautiful cake design.
I love Elisa Strauss, but this was so not her forte. I'm sure she would have rather won a challenge based on an elegant, original cake design than the giant killer sock monkey icon_surprised.gif

Ditto! Duff and Jeff were the show IMO. Duff's expression while holding the big fire extinguisher and describing the "big cloud of gas" was priceless! icon_lol.gif The show he put on was much better than any of the "cake" decorating.
This was the first cake challenge we liked the judging better than the cakes being made.

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:23pm
post #30 of 53

Teekakes-

Welcome to the BIG APPLE!

while you are in town -would you be taking any classes with anyone? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%