Pricing Question

Decorating By cookie22 Updated 10 Jul 2007 , 10:04pm by roxxxy_luvs_duff

cookie22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie22 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 1:08am
post #1 of 10

I have never charged for any of the cakes I've made- It's more of a hobby than a business. But I did a wedding this past saturday- for my BF's brother- and made two cakes. I have no idea how to price and I thought it would be interesting to know what all of you would have charged for these cakes... Thank you.

The Bride's cake is 16" 12" & 8"
The Groom's 3- 8" 2Layer squares
all buttercream and DH Cake Mixes
LL
LL

9 replies
fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 1:18am
post #2 of 10

great job on the cakes! I charge $3.00 per slice for buttercream and flowers and decorations are extra. The cakes are very nice. icon_biggrin.gif

teamlilya4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teamlilya4 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 1:50am
post #3 of 10

AWWWW! these are so cute! I love them! You did a super job icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 2:14am
post #4 of 10

As long as you had buttercream filling the following is my price for each cake with servings and per serving charge. If I had to deliver more than 7 miles then there would have been an additional delivery charge.

Wedding cake
- 172 Servings
- $2.25 serving (includes time to arrange flowers)
- $387.00
Flowers = Cost +10% mark up , so you will have to figure the cost on these.

Grooms Cake
- 48 Servings
- $3.00/serving (I consider this a 3D carved cake and this is my starting price for 3D cakes)
- $144.00

Total minus flowers = $531.00

I saw these in the galleries and loved the idea of Shrek and Fiona as the toppers, very cute idea, looks like it would have been a fun wedding! I love the brides cake with the elements you tied together on it, great job!

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 2:19am
post #5 of 10

so did you just do these cakes for free??? i only do free cakes for immediate family. If you arent charging you should at least have them cover your cost to make the cakes.

SeptBabyMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeptBabyMom Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 12:39pm
post #6 of 10

I'm not sure how much you should have charged, I'm not yet into charging for my cakes. I just wanted to say that I think your cakes were very nice. Great job!

cookie22 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 1:14pm
post #7 of 10

Wow..Thanks to all who reponded and for the wonderful compliments!

Leily- Thank you for the detail in your response. The bride told me she wanted sticks and rocks so i nocked around a few ideas and this was the result. It felt so great to come up with the idea...not refrencing someone-elses work- and see the finished product.

Roxxxy_luvs_duff- Yes I did these for free they were for my BF (of 4 years) brother.. They had limited means for thei wedding and so I said this would be my gift. My money is not so tight so it was a joy to be able to do this for them

EricaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricaT Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 10

Id say between 60-75$ each

cookie22 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 2:56pm
post #9 of 10

EricaT--- That's quite a contradiction to what most of the CC's charge for their cakes.... You would really only charge $ .50-1.50 per slice? Even with chocolate rocks and fresh flowers?

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 10:04pm
post #10 of 10

oh ok well the cake being the gift is good . id feel bad if someone couldnt really afford a cake for there wedding

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%